• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Self defense sure go for it there are reliable high end 1911's and by upgrading a standard one it can be reliable enough to stake your life on. If that's what you know (TRULY KNOW) then you should use a 1911. If you've never ran drills with a 1911 (especially a 1911 but any gun for that matter) and your carrying it to defend your life then your probably gonna **** up and die when it counts.
    Im not anti 1911 I'm just aware of their limitations. And most 1911 experts I've seen have the same thought process on it.

damn I'm getting old. Took me 3 posts to think of what I wanted to say

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Self defense sure go for it there are reliable high end 1911's and by upgrading a standard one it can be reliable enough to stake your life on. If that's what you know (TRULY KNOW) then you should use a 1911. If you've never ran drills with a 1911 (especially a 1911 but any gun for that matter) and your carrying it to defend your life then your probably gonna **** up and die when it counts.
    Im not anti 1911 I'm just aware of their limitations. And most 1911 experts I've seen have the same thought process on it.

damn I'm getting old. Took me 3 posts to think of what I wanted to say

Spot on. Run what you know.
    You know me and my guns. They run.
    I am slowly (:fogey:) moving to higher capacity pieces but I still am most comfortable with a hunk of steel. It is the club thing.

Yeah, getting old does suck....:):

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    For those who seem to hang their hats on the unreliability of the 1911, I don't recommend you attacking an old guy sporting one. I can almost guarantee you it runs just fine.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I have one 1911, and its turned into my best and favorite shooter. I have handled a few Glocks, just can't quite get there yet...

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I like 1911's and plastic guns as well, so much I ended up buying a nice Ed Brown, sold it already but.... Not because I didn't like it. People are going to hate just to hate, glocks are a great example. I stopped caring what other people thought years ago..... and I don't care what anyone else buys either, unless you buy a Hi Point then yes I am going to pick on you:n00b:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    When you hear die hard 1911 guys like Ken Hackathorn and Larry Vickers recommend Glocks over a 1911 that's not a Wilson Combat, you can't help but listen to them.

I like Glocks because of the simplicity. If I had the money, I'd buy a 1911 today. But I feel like it would have to be a Wilson Combat.

sparks71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Noblesville
    I recently picked up a Kimber 1911. After reading this thread I feel like I need to pick a reason to not love it any more. Naaah... I still love it :)

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    When you hear die hard 1911 guys like Ken Hackathorn and Larry Vickers recommend Glocks over a 1911 that's not a Wilson Combat, you can't help but listen to them.

I like Glocks because of the simplicity. If I had the money, I'd buy a 1911 today. But I feel like it would have to be a Wilson Combat.

First I would see if they are being paid by Wilson Combat. There are several makes of 1911 that will be everything you could ever want in a gun if they are properly set up.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

Dan Wessons run just fine, so do Springfields. I would stay away from Kimber though the new 4 inch models have some issues.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I bought an old nasty looking Glock 17 and gave it to my 80+ year old mother for her bedroom gun.
    I only decided it was for her due to the simplicity of it. Pull the trigger and it goes bang.
    NO safety of any kind.
    1st round is a 115 gr and then 124 gr sd rounds.
    She's had one of my old 1911s in the nightstand for years but she's getting too old and feeble to handle a man's gun anymore so I switched out and gave her the Glock.
    I like Glock too. They do look much nicer in the nightstand drawer after all.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Ok since I really like my new 1911 I have been doing some research etc watching videos and such. One of the things I cant believe is the amount of disdain some have for them. Some of the videos even state how a 1911 will never be reliable and how I would only carry a ........
    because they will never malfunction and they carry more rounds.

Really why all the hate? Now that I found the right holster belt combination I carry mine with complete confidence. If the 1911s are so bad why are so many in production still?

Some people, like Yeager, troll the 1911 fans because they seem to be more likely to be sensitive about their edc choice than others and that makes trolling them fun.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    I think it goes back to anyone that was in the military years ago. We were using 1911''s that seemed like they were used by Doughboys, 'over there'! Unless you were on the pistol team (fortunately for me I was), you got any ol' random 1911, so they were pretty sloppy.

Top Bottom