• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I guess I've got to come clean. :) Thanks to the generosity of a forum member, I was able to borrow a reamer. It turns out that it cuts very well. I managed to overcut the chamber and ruined my barrel. So I've ordered a new one from Kart, but he is 6 weeks or so out. I think I have about 4 of those weeks left to wait. I feel like a total idiot.

Brian

HHHmmmm, lets see.....how many things have I totally screwed up trying to re-engineer them????

Lost count. If you do not try you do not learn. When doing any thing like reaming/machining/altering take it slow until you know.

If you ask me how I know this I will remain culpable deniably safe.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I guess I've got to come clean. :) Thanks to the generosity of a forum member, I was able to borrow a reamer. It turns out that it cuts very well. I managed to overcut the chamber and ruined my barrel. So I've ordered a new one from Kart, but he is 6 weeks or so out. I think I have about 4 of those weeks left to wait. I feel like a total idiot.

Brian
    No need to be ashamed of being aggressive at all. IF I had a nickel.........

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The biggest mistake would be not learning from one! I'd chalk it up to lesson learned. I have a pile of scrap from lessons learned. Some were cheaper then others.

baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Well finally back for an update. The barrel finally arrived from KART and I am going to get it fit up this weekend. Then it will be time to check headspace again. Just taking some rough measurements, it appears that it will be right at the minimum when I am done fitting the barrel.

I'm not thinking it would be a good idea to leave it at min spec. Though in-spec, I'm imagining it would still be quite sensitive to ammo. What do you guys think?

-Brian

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Maybe get a gun from the 21st century? :rofl:

j/k, of course. Hopefully, the new barrel will resolve the issue, Brian.

AFAIK, a lot of semi-autos (most?) are somewhat 'ammo sensitive'. IMO, the tighter the tolerances, perhaps the more 'sensitive'.

Let us know how it works out. :thumbsup:

baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I am back after another long delay. I put the new barrel in, head-spaced it (special thanks to a generous member). And still had the problem.

So next I moved on to shortening the extractor which, as you may recall, was too long according to spec. I had actually bought another extractor, and it too turned out to be too long. So I shortened that one. Had to take about .005" off to make it in the range, then polished it up and it landed near the middle of the spec. 100 rounds later, no fires to half cock. Fingers crossed this has solved the problem once and for all. Wouldn't know where to look next. I can still find a spot where if I hold the slide back a bit, it will fire to half cock - but that spot has moved back considerably. The slide is visibly back, I would guess maybe .020 or .030 or so to get it to happen. And it is not as easy to make it happen as it was before.

I hope this has done it. Its been a long journey, and while I have learned much that is very valuable, I'm ready for a break from the expensive lessons.

-Brian

baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Meant to add - I will hopefully get a chance to put a few more through it later with week. Unless the Polar Vortex they are talking about freezes my will to live once and for all.

-Brian

baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Well, got another 100 through it this week. That makes 200 with no malfunctions! I hate to call it good an jinx it...but so far so good!

-Brian

Top Bottom