• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The person helping me out at the gun counter was very helpful and I got a bit of a 1911 history lesson and why people on forums talk and talk about guide rods, bushing vs non bushing barrels, etc :)

One thing he did for me after I manipulated/dryfired the Colt and the TRP several times was he pulled out a Kimber alongside the Colt and the TRP, because I made a comment the TRP trigger was noticeably better. He said that a lot of people believe the Kimber has the best out of the box trigger (not trying to get you all into a debate!), and I was immediately able to appreciate both the Colt (WC trigger) and the TRP triggers and the TRP trigger was the best of the bunch.

I finally understand what you 1911 guys are talking about with your triggers. With my Berettas, including a couple of 45s, you definitely have take up and then start the "squeeze" part of the trigger pull. Of course they are also double action. With the TRP there was only squeeze, squeeze, bang. Colt had the tinest bit of roughness in the squeeze and the Kimber had a tiny bit of a take up.

Thanks guys for helping me out! the TRP was definitely the right one for me, and I told the guy at the shop, one of the best production models is more gun than I can shoot anyway and gives me peace of mind that I got a quality 1911. One thing he told me was that even though they are production models, they are hand inspected at the end of the line.

I doubt I will ever actually carry it much because as a lefty in a "real" situation if I am ever so unlucky, I don't like to switch carry guns much. Now if it had a left hand mag release....my first ever pistol, 92 series, I had the left hand mag release and ambi safeties...I still had to use a right hand slide release....one reason I moved from a 92 to a PX4 so it was fully left hand compatible then I put 92 safety levers on the PX4 to make it handle more like a 92, LOL. In my mind, the 1911 mag release is a potential liability for a lefty in a "real" situation.
    BUT if I could get a mag release swapped and an ambi slide release of a quality equal to the TRP.....don't even know if thats possible without degrading the quality of the TRP.

I am in no rush though, for now, I will go out in the back yard, shoot a group with one of my Beretta's and one with my 1911 and see what happens. Then go retake some intro/mid level classes to develop my skills on 1911s, and see what happens. It only took 20 yrs for me to go from 92 to PX4 and I am at 12 years on the PX4.....change is possible!

To the unknown mod who did me a favor! they asked sent me an alert if everything looked as it should but, maybe because they were hidden at the time or because of my settings, their avatar was a question mark and I couldn't reply.
    So how'd you like it?

happysmitie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    crawfordsville
    have a nib trp that is sharp stainless with beautiful rosewood grips that is all factory with original case & manual ..... apprx. 12 yrs old
    have had the urge to shoot it and may do so . but if it ever came up for sale it would be in the $1400-$1500 range for sure !

Top Bottom