• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Each gun is different in what it likes .Start with ball and shoot 1-2 boxes then buy&try several brands defense loads find the one that your firearm likes .Some firearms take a while to break in some don't but if you are going to carry it you want it to function with what you feed it .I know that can be expensive but your life is worth it. Holsters & grips are the same way you really don't know until you try and buy and that is expensive also

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    My 1911 was my very first handgun... So I can't ever sell it, but it doesn't like hollow points. Wont even chamber the Winchester's that I bought a while back... Not really sure what to do to get it to run them.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    My 1911 was my very first handgun... So I can't ever sell it, but it doesn't like hollow points. Wont even chamber the Winchester's that I bought a while back... Not really sure what to do to get it to run them.

What brand and size is your 1911?

Also...try different brands, manufacturers, styles, and shapes of hollow points.

Some guns dont like federal...or winchester, etc etc...

Worse case scenario you could run some federal guard dog, or some corbon Powrball ammo...they are expanding full metal jackets with a round nose like regular ball ammo.

Might give some different rounds a shot and let us know how it works....I know it can get expensive...but its worth it and it doesnt have to be done all in one sitting.

A little more food for thought here...CHANGE MAGAZINES!...it sounds simple but I have a few guns that eat hollow points just fine, but wont even feed ball ammo with certain mags....My colt does NOT like colt magazines...Imagine that....theyll jam on the ramp everytime...or nose dive.

Try a Chip McCormick, Wilson, Mec-gar, or rebuild your existing magazines with wilson parts.

God bless
    -Shred

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    ...A little more food for thought here...CHANGE MAGAZINES!...it sounds simple but I have a few guns that eat hollow points just fine, but wont even feed ball ammo with certain mags....My colt does NOT like colt magazines...Imagine that....theyll jam on the ramp everytime...or nose dive.

Try a Chip McCormick, Wilson, Mec-gar, or rebuild your existing magazines with wilson parts.

God bless
    -Shred

:+1:

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Thousands of Germans, Japanese, North Koreans and VC can't be wrong.

I carry ball ammo in my 1911 for self defense. If the history books are right, it worked OK during both world wars, Korea and Vietnam.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I carry ball ammo in my 1911 for self defense. If the history books are right, it worked OK during both world wars, Korea and Vietnam.

Right, no one is saying that a 45 isn't good enough at stopping power.

If you ever have to use it in self defense you are responsible for wherever that bullet ends up. So if it knocks down the person you were trying to stop, perfect. If it keeps going, as ball ammo is known to do, you are still responsible.

I will use hollow points because I would be devastated if I caught someone innocent. I pray that none of us ever have to find out tho!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Right, no one is saying that a 45 isn't good enough at stopping power.

If you ever have to use it in self defense you are responsible for wherever that bullet ends up. So if it knocks down the person you were trying to stop, perfect. If it keeps going, as ball ammo is known to do, you are still responsible.

I will use hollow points because I would be devastated if I caught someone innocent. I pray that none of us ever have to find out tho!

Does anyone have statistical data on the probability and capability of a .45acp 230gr ball going through the human body? I do know that a .40 cal HP can make it through. I was on a court case where the round went through the guys chest, pierced his heart and exited his back.

I will most definitely try other rounds once I get my pistol broken in and start carrying it. I don't want to shoot anyone really, but I certainly don't want to shoot an innocent!

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    There is another thread about this, but I use Remington Golden Sabers or Winchester PDX1.

I have a box of the Hornady custom, ASYM, and Fiocchi in my shopping cart waint to get run through mine....hoping to find some cheaper stuff to try like Augila or PMC starfire.

Ive run a few mags of both PDX and the GS in either 230gr and 185gr and had zero failures.

The golden sabers seem to have a very rounded nose profile and a very smooth contoured cavity.

The PDX are more of a "flower petal" looking hollowpoint with a larger cavity, but they still have fed just fine and without malfunction in my Colt and my Kimber.

The PDX rounds posted the tightest groups of the day and had the easiest recoil.

God bless
    -Shred

I too use Golden Sabers and just recently purchased a few boxes of PDX to try out in my 1911s (including a RIA Compact.)

I put your comment about the bullet profile of the GS in bold because I had read years ago that the best bet for a "trouble-free" hollow point for the 1911 was a bullet that had a similar profile to ball ammo. I've also had no issues shooting Golden Sabers out of other handguns that had a rep to choke on hollow points (Sig P6, Walther P1) with no issues.

Well, other than my P1 occasionally pinging an empty off of my forehead...

Warriorbob, there are so many choices for hollow point ammo available that I would be surprised if nothing worked for you. I guess if you can't get reliable hollow points for your RIA an option could be that new Federal Guard Dog ammo, which is a FMJ bullet that expands like a HP.

Top Bottom