• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Wouldn't that open the door for the defense to question about being suspended from school? Or any other fights he was involved in?

That was my impression. If the state's witness starts talking about how her son was a good boy, then that opens The door for the defense to talk about his past.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I was under the impression that the judge was supposed to rule on whether or not they could talk about Trayvon Martin's past since they brought up George Zimmerman's past. Has anyone found that out?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I was under the impression that the judge was supposed to rule on whether or not they could talk about Trayvon Martin's past since they brought up George Zimmerman's past. Has anyone found that out?

I don't believe so. The judge ruled that they could bring up Zimmerman's past because that would possibly inform the jury as to Zimmerman's state of mind and general demeanor at the time of the altercation.

Because Zimmerman didn't know Martin, Martin's past is not allowed because Zimmerman wouldn't have known it at the time, so it would have had no bearing on how/why the altercation occurred or why Zimmerman chose to follow Martin.

Now, if prosecution tries to paint Martin as a saintly youth that wouldn't do anything untoward, the defense could possibly use his past as a rebuttal to that testimony.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Because Zimmerman didn't know Martin, Martin's past is not allowed because Zimmerman wouldn't have known it at the time, so it would have had no bearing on how/why the altercation occurred or why Zimmerman chose to follow Martin.

This is the most unfair things I have seen in the trial. They are allowed to paint Zimmerman as this blood thirsty, wanna be cop/punisher type person, but he can't paint Martin in any sort of light outside of his own testimony. The way I see it, Zimmerman admitted to following Martin, and then claims he lost him, only to be confronted by him. That should be the only past about Zimmerman that is admitted. Zimmerman claims Martin verbally confronted him, then physically assaulted him. In order for the jury to make such a determination about both individuals, they should either get past behavior from both, or from none.

medic6882

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Demotte
    I have sadly watched every televised minute of this trial as I'm currently confined to my bed. I have no dog in this fight and up until Monday I would have sworn that the defense had a slam dunk on this case, with the state getting the assist. Since Monday the state has been proving inconsistencies in Z's statements and that is hurting his creditability. He has been caught in 2 out right lies that I can think of. I personally believe he was attacked and did act in self defense. I don't think being a " cop wanna be " is a bad thing and I don't think Martin was doing anything wrong by walking home. My concern is that a jury of 6 women are going to look at Z's creditability now and come back with a guilty verdict. I feel this case is actually being tried much harder in the media than it is in the courtroom and I believe Florida should be prepared in case a not guilty verdict does come back. All in all I feel both parties involved that night made poor choices and now an entire country stands to pay the price.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have sadly watched every televised minute of this trial as I'm currently confined to my bed. I have no dog in this fight and up until Monday I would have sworn that the defense had a slam dunk on this case, with the state getting the assist. Since Monday the state has been proving inconsistencies in Z's statements and that is hurting his creditability. He has been caught in 2 out right lies that I can think of. I personally believe he was attacked and did act in self defense. I don't think being a " cop wanna be " is a bad thing and I don't think Martin was doing anything wrong by walking home. My concern is that a jury of 6 women are going to look at Z's creditability now and come back with a guilty verdict. I feel this case is actually being tried much harder in the media than it is in the courtroom and I believe Florida should be prepared in case a not guilty verdict does come back. All in all I feel both parties involved that night made poor choices and now an entire country stands to pay the price.
    We have Al and Jesse to thank for all this.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I have sadly watched every televised minute of this trial as I'm currently confined to my bed. I have no dog in this fight and up until Monday I would have sworn that the defense had a slam dunk on this ca:cool:se, with the state getting the assist. Since Monday the state has been proving inconsistencies in Z's statements and that is hurting his creditability. He has been caught in 2 out right lies that I can think of. I personally believe he was attacked and did act in self defense. I don't think being a " cop wanna be " is a bad thing and I don't think Martin was doing anything wrong by walking home. My concern is that a jury of 6 women are going to look at Z's creditability now and come back with a guilty verdict. I feel this case is actually being tried much harder in the media than it is in the courtroom and I believe Florida should be prepared in case a not guilty verdict does come back. All in all I feel both parties involved that night made poor choices and now an entire country stands to pay the price.

The standard is supposed to be guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. That should be more than thinking Z lied a couple of times... I think there's still a lot more than reasonable doubt in the State's case. Of course...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I get a serious vigilante vibe off of Zimmerman. I think he went looking for trouble and he found it. I don't think he would have had the stones to follow Martin if he wasn't carrying. A CCW and a stand your ground law doesn't mean you should be out patroling the neighborhood.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The standard is supposed to be guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. That should be more than thinking Z lied a couple of times... I think there's still a lot more than reasonable doubt in the State's case. Of course...
    The 2nd Amendment shall not be infringed as well but is that the case? We don't live in an ideal world.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    We have Al and Jesse to thank for all this.

And you know they will milk an acquittal for all the power it brings them.

And the president won't be able to resist getting involved in his "son's" trial, either way.

And Holder will start the civil rights violation case.

A conviction will probably lead to about the same, expressions of "righteous indignation".

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I get a serious vigilante vibe off of Zimmerman. I think he went looking for trouble and he found it. I don't think he would have had the stones to follow Martin if he wasn't carrying. A CCW and a stand your ground law doesn't mean you should be out patroling the neighborhood.

Troll anyone? :rolleyes:

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up

He was part of the "Neighborhood Watch" within the HOA. Wow. And vigilante? You must have missed 90% of the trial and details surrounding it.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    He has been caught in 2 out right lies that I can think of.

What are the 2 lies you are referring to?

The one think I can think of is that he said on Hannity he was not aware of the Stand your ground Law. The State showed that he was taught that in a college course in 2009.

Having gone to college myself and recieving a degree, I can tell you there are A LOT of things I was taught in college that 3 years later I wouldn't have remember or been able to tell anything about. I once had a college professor tell our class that we would use approximately 3% of what we were taught at college in our careers after college. Does that make me a liar if asked and I say I don't have a clue about it because I don't remember it?

Whats the second lie?

Last edited:

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Testimony from voice-recognition experts has been ruled inadmissible in the trial on the grounds that it was impossible to tell from the brief, poor-quality recording whether it was TM or Z calling for help. Yet, The TM mom and brother were certain it was TM. Come on.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    trial

From what I have seen on facebook this morning on the news stations pages is that the public has already convicted GZ and hooked him up to the needle. I don't see any way he gets off no matter how little evidence there is.

Jason

Top Bottom