• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    I've been looking at different exotic 12ga rounds. The explosive rounds look pretty good but I'm not sure what to load them with. It says the come hollow then you fill it with your own binary compound. Not sure if anyone's shot these? If they as awesome as they look? What did you use to put in the hollow slug?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I've been looking at different exotic 12ga rounds. The explosive rounds look pretty good but I'm not sure what to load them with. It says the come hollow then you fill it with your own binary compound. Not sure if anyone's shot these? If they as awesome as they look? What did you use to put in the hollow slug?
    Read the BATFE regs officer.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    img_5243-jpeg.8129305

BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    I wasn't aware that it was illegal. Tried looking through the ATF website but super confusing. Gonna keep looking, just didn't want to blow my face off.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    legality be damned, I cant think of any binary compound that would ignite at that relatively low energy transfer. Slugs travel too slow, so I suspect somebody made something they hadnt fully tested, imagining Tannerite or the like would work if somebody actually did it.

BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    legality be damned, I cant think of any binary compound that would ignite at that relatively low energy transfer. Slugs travel too slow, so I suspect somebody made something they hadnt fully tested, imagining Tannerite or the like would work if somebody actually did it.
    Thanks, I was wondering about that. The videos look pretty cool but I guess I have little use for it. Just looked cool. I didn't realize there were so many different types of 12ga ammo.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans

Thanks, I was wondering about that. The videos look pretty cool but I guess I have little use for it. Just looked cool. I didn't realize there were so many different types of 12ga ammo.

How about a link to the video, that may help someone give a better answer.

The only shells (that I’m aware of) with a secondary explosion are designed to scare away unwanted critters like birds. After the initial shot they travel then give a loud bang. But their is no actual lethal projectile. HTH.

BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    How about a link to the video, that may help someone give a better answer.

The only shells (that I’m aware of) with a secondary explosion are designed to scare away unwanted critters like birds. After the initial shot they travel then give a loud bang. But their is no actual lethal projectile. HTH.

There's a ton of videos, they just don't explain what they're using exactly. I kinda went down a rabbit watching several of them.

Reactions: Mij

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    Dragon Breath -Makes a bunch of different shells -Flash Bang - Flechette shells -- And the old dragon flame thrower. Just be careful where you use them, last guy just about burned down the range one dry night.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I knew some kids in my youth who would drill quarter inch holes in shotgun slugs and seat .22 blanks in them, situated so the primer hit the target first.

It's not something I would do.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I knew some kids in my youth who would drill quarter inch holes in shotgun slugs and seat .22 blanks in them, situated so the primer hit the target first.

I have a few boxes of vintage Star 180 grain HP's in 45acp. You can drop a small primer in the hole and seal it off with a large primer.
    They were hilarious to shoot in a wet berm.

BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton

Yeah, in one of the videos a guy did something like that but packed it with black powder. Just didn't seem right. I'd like to shoot something stable but not destroy the weapon or blow my face off.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Yeah, in one of the videos a guy did something like that but packed it with black powder. Just didn't seem right. I'd like to shoot something stable but not destroy the weapon or blow my face off.
    There used to be a ammo company that produced HP pistol ammo with a small primer pushed in the HP.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    There used to be a ammo compant that produced HP pistol ammo with a small primer pushed in the HP.

I remember seeing that stuff at gun shows during the 80s, haven't seen it in a long time. Always wondered if it opened up the bullet at a lower velocity.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Somewhere I have a black box of 12 rounds of their 357 ammo. But where is the question,
    You feel my pain?

I think it was priced pretty high back in the 80s, never bought any but it was something I would have liked to see tested.

No U Tube back then.;)

Top Bottom