• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    And define "a lot" of money... I'll guess that the $300 Kidd trigger is out of the question. But what about the drop-in Volquartsen, or Kidd , or ??? parts?

You can do all sorts of stuff in between.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    Ive found that a good ole polishing will help quite a bit. It justs costs your time and some supplies. Drop in parts are always nice too, but can be pricey.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Ive found that a good ole polishing will help quite a bit. It justs costs your time and some supplies.

+1. This is what I did. First, watch a few Youtube videos to get the general idea of what you want to do. Learn to disassemble and re-assemble the trigger assembly. Not at all hard to do and is something you should know how to do anyway. Load up your Dremel (you do have a Dremel, don't you? ALL armchair gunsmiths have to have at lease one! :cool:) with a polishing wheel and some jeweler's rouge. Polish all of the mating surfaces where metal slides/rubs, including the hammer and sear connections until they shine like a mirror. Don't forget the 'sides', where the parts meet up with the trigger housing. Take your time. It makes a huge difference, at least it did on mine.

ol' poke.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    I just bought a new complete drop in trigger for my 10/22 and here's the best part I only have $85 in it. I got a Hornet custom spitfire, 2.75 lbs of pull, and has automatic bolt release. This is a great deal if you dont want to spend a lot of money. Trigger was $118 with shipping and when it came there was a return label and a note that if I wanted to sale them my old one they would pay up to $33 depending on condition. So I sent it back thanking of maybe getting 20 bucks back. with in a few days I got a check for $33 just like they said. No problems and no complaints, diffently worth checking out. I think mine is actully less then 2.75 lbs and made a great difference in the accuracy of my gun. Hornet custom Triggers check them out

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I did the polish work to mine and it helped but still not what I want. I am sending mine to Brimstone and getting his Tier 2 job done on it. I talked to him and he thought either Tier 3 or 2 so I am picking 2 since I was thinking Tier 1 or 2.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Has anyone ever found a NIB Ruger with a decent trigger?

I do not know what you mean by "decent trigger," but I have two 10/22s and my boys both have the same model. I have no complaints about the original triggers on any of them. I can't understand the determination to "fix" something that is not broken.:dunno:

BTW, I did install an automatic bolt release on both of mine. Nice improvement.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Has anyone ever found a NIB Ruger with a decent trigger?

Mine is an early 70's model (with a very nice walnut stock) that I got slightly used when I was 13.

My older brother and I found an article in a Guns & Ammo that showed how to polish up some parts to improve the trigger. It was my first "Gunsmithing" project.

Maybe those older models had better parts, and I doubt that the work we did improved it dramatically, and I've not had the opportunity to fire a recent model, but the trigger on mine is just fine.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I got my first 10/22 in '78. My sis and I poured a ton of ammo through it and after 10 yrs of that it had a tolerable trigger.
    Or so I thought.

Had a half dozen others. My first had the best factory trigger, and compared to my other non 10/22 rifles it sucked.

Current 10/22 is a collector version, it's gonna be shot so it's getting a Clark.

Already put in a different buffer. Like that a lot.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Start with the simplest "fix" first. I put in the bushings for the hammer,trigger,sear and that was a great improvement. The factory wobble is horrible. This of course will do nothing to the sear break feel nor the creep but hey its a cheap start. Parts can be had through any mail order like midway, brownells, etc. Easy to install and while you are in the replace the bolt release with a replacement that allows you to close the bolt without having to depress the release first!

I just cant seem to justify $100 and up in parts for a .22 rifle. I guess if you were in competition with it...yeah... but Im not.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Depends on the rifle...........I think it silly to put a $100 trigger in a $300 rifle.
    Esp when things can be improved for way less $.
    But if the trigger upgrade was $75 and the rifle alone was $750..........that seems more agreeable.

Heck, I'm fighting the need to work OT to put a Leupold on my .22 rifle. I want a gold ring scope, but I don't
    want to work extra for it LOL.

Man a 3-9X EFR would look good on my DSP.

RDunagan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    United States
    Yes, polish everything that moves. Decent is whatever works for you. Lots of great after market triggers out there. Google.

Last edited by a moderator:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    From what I understand, the hammer is a bigger factor and easier improvement in the 10/22 design than the trigger.

^ This.

A VQ target hammer is simply the best bang-for-the-buck improvement one can make to the trigger pull of a 10/22 and it's a simple drop in replacement part.

Top Bottom