• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS — A housing discrimination complaint filed by a Black Indianapolis homeowner alleges that after she removed items from her home that identified her race and asked a white male friend to sit in on an appraisal, the value of her home jumped more than $100,000.

Can someone explain the difference? Is this a common occurrence, or does one think this is a one off?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A house is a house in this market and yes one appraisal might not match the 2nd. Neighborhood might have a small effect depending.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have no idea what the whole story is. My related experience: I had two appraisals within a week in a "stable" year for home buying that were $35k different on an $80k purchase price.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sounds like the reverse of what CCR was singing about...

"Some folks are born silver spoon in hand
    Lord, don't they help themselves, yeah
    But when the taxman comes to the door
    Lord, the house look a like a rummage sale, yeah"

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    This lady was wanting to refinance, not sell on the open market. The appraisers for the bank(s) is not the same as an independent appraisal prior to listing on the market. . No doubt the FHCCI sent an appraiser to get the fair market value. I think there is a huge difference there.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

Can someone explain the difference? Is this a common occurrence, or does one think this is a one off?
    I think there's more to it than being reported. A properly staged home can bring more money.
    Was the property and exterior in disarray on the first one and cleaned up looking good.

A proper appraisal will have a printout of both the exterior and interior of the home, it'll come out real quick if both appraisals was done by a qualified company/person.
    Also when was the first one done and the second one done. Home prices have been spiking all around, even compared to 6 months ago.

Reactions: Leo

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Appraisals I have been involved with work backwards from the value you want.

Do you want a high appraisal? Here you go, you qualify for your mortgage.

Do you want a low appraisal? Sorry it is so low (like you asked) and your tax assessment is low.
    I spent 15 years in real estate and that was exactly my experience.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    After re-reading the article I see she was actually wanting a home equity loan. This tells me the appraisal was the amount the back would loan her on the home equity. That is not necessarily market value. This could be a factor as well.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I think she has a case.

Unless her appraiser comped out the home several months after the banks appraisers did, or comped better built homes that aren't appropriate depending on her homes builder, there shouldn't ever be a change that drastic in the appraisal value of a home. Yes, when the bank is doing a refinance their appraiser tends to be conservative in selecting comps. And if the buyer is concerned then a second appraisal is warranted. I haven't been in real estate since '07 but I think this deserves serious consideration.

The truth will be told in the comparable sales selected. That would have been documented in the appraisal report and will be reviewed. For Example, the homeowner thinks her home value is more comparable to those built by Ryland and not C.P. Morgan...but she bought a Beazer built home. Um, the comps on sales of like and kind would be more appropriate and the Ryland homes wouldn't be an appropriate comp.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We do not have the whole story here.

As someone said it may be based on what the bank wanted to loan.

An appraisal for a bank loan is not market value appraisal, it is an appraisal that verifies the value the bank is loaning. Was it even a full appraisal? Lost of nuance and details missing.

Now to the appraiser, were they competent in the area of the home? What were their instructions from the bank? Same bank and instructions every time? What did the appraiser have to gain from issuing a low appraisal? Low appraisals mean more work and questions for no more money, far easier to just give the value than deal with the appeals etc.

Where is the house? An appraisal is one individuals opinion, and as stated here those opinions can vary without prejudice. Could it be in an area of revitalization where one third of the homes are like new flips and two thirds still needing significant work? The first appraisals comped it to the two thirds as it was not a new flip, but the third comped it to the new flips?

Top Bottom