• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Story below is from a 10 year old boy in Kansas named Braydon who wants to know why the news talks about the SEAL Team heros and not his dad, the pilot of the CH-47 that was lost.

I have stayed out of the other thread on this subject, as I honestly do not have the stomach to listen to "cover up" stories maligning the sacrifice of many brave men who gave everything to preserve our safety here at home.

You do not have to agree with the mission or our policy in Afghanistan. But as a dad with little guys this boys age, who has flown a few tough ones and was lucky enough to come home, I ask that you look at it and remember his father's sacrifice. There are times I feel guilty not still being in the fight, so I figure the least I can do is help this young man understand that many people care about and honor what his dad and fellow aircrew did.

story.bryan.nichols.irpt.jpg

Kansas boy wants world to recognize his fallen father - CNN.com

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The kid has a point, although I didn't do any research into their fate, I had wondered what had happened to the crew of the chopper since the news "reports" only focused on the seal team.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    There are lots of KIA that don't get any ink. That doesn't make it right though. It doesn't help that the details are hard to come by either. It's hard to write a story when no one will say what happened.

Even in this, we get the white-washed version.

If my brother is KIA, he might get 2 lines in the local paper saying Lt. so and so was killed while on patrol in blah blah province Afghanistan.

Fear not though, there is "entertainment news" a plenty. :rolleyes:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The media is allowed to choose who we pay attention too in these situations. They decided to focus on the heroes from Seal Team Six because they thought it made a good story. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like we take much interest in the story when one of our boys gets killed over there now. There has to be some hook to draw interest now. That isn't right, but it is what it is.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    ATOMonkey has it right, the media likes to focus on the "story".

July 31st, three MARSOC Marines died in a fire with their working dog but you didn't see that on the news. That's just how life is, sometimes you are "important" enough to make the news, and sometimes you're not. Those that care will remember.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    wow. 9 days left in his deployment.

I read it as 9 days until leave, but that was earlier this morn.

I had a huge response typed up as well but uh, deleted it. Long story short, why does it shock anyone that the media acts like it does. Not just on this but in general with the activities over there.

Top Bottom