• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Penguin Point holds a special place in my heart.

When I was young ('70s) we hardly ever went out to eat, but every once in a while, my Mom and I would meet my Dad at the Penguin Point on Bristol Street in Elkhart across the street from the Miles headquarters where he worked.

I drive by it twice a day. It's still open. Haven't eaten a Penguin Point for years though. Grandpa used to take me to the one in Goshen if we had to run to the John Deere store around lunch time.

When I was a wee lad, every year, the day before Thanksgiving, we would go through Ft Wayne on the way to Grandma's house. We always ate Duff's Smorgasbord and then went to Spiece and got new cowboy boots.:yesway:

I remember thinking that my dad was genius when he taught me to grab a soup bowl from the salad bar to get ice cream in.:cool:

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Lums hotdogs were great, there was one walking distance from my house. It's an Edwardo's Pizza now. Years ago I had a night job as a waiter at Steak & Ale when I lived in Houston. I had a lot of fun working there.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Rax, best roast beef sandwiches.

Rax ain't totally dead, yet!

Rax Roast Beef* I'd Rather Rax, Wouldn't You?

There used to be one in Richmond - not too far from Earlham's campus on US 40. An attempt to Google it leads me to believe that one is gone now.

Google Maps shows one in Anderson, IN, too... But the link above doesn't show any in Indiana at all. Who knows.

I VAGUELY remember the Burger Chef on the east side of Crawfordsville being bought/shifted to Hardee's. (Kind of like I remember the old Target having once been an Airway store)

-J-

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Some of them were in business an awfully long time to be called "flops". I think of a flop as something short lived and unsuccessful. Sure, they may have failed to adapt and gone out of business, but some of them were quite popular in their day.

I remember that I loved going to Howard Johnson's when I was a kid. I don't really remember the menu, but I do remember that I loved their hot dogs with that toasted-on-the-outside bun. I just remember it was fun, especially when we were traveling.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I miss Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor.:(
    vintage_04.jpg

Ferrell's was our favoritie place in San Diego. Were they here in Indiana?

irishanimal917

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Bonanza Steakhouse, Burger Chef, Rax. There were a lot of restaurants here on the west side of Indianapolis around the airport at one time however they've all left for the most part right along with several businesses. Don't get me wrong there still a lot left but not a great variety like there used to be. But in all honesty, the one business I missed the most, is definitely Dunkin' Donuts close to the airport, if you want it now you have to either go to the downtown location or out to Avon. Thank God Man's Grill is still here though!

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Bonanza Steakhouse

My only trip to Bonanza was one in Iowa back in '87. I nearly ate them out of all you can eat shrimp. Then we went out to John Deere's 150 anniversary expo. I spent the whole 90 degree afternoon in a port-o-pot begging God to take me home. To this day my stomach turns at any mention of the word "Bonanza".

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Has anyone ever ate a Big John's Steak and Onion and Mushroom sandwich?

There a few Big John's still up north, but they're pretty good. You don't need chapstick after you eat on account of all the grease coating your mouth for the rest of the day.

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I worked at the Burger Chef in Franklin after graduating high school in 1968. I really liked their tartar sauce on the French fries. I remember how bad the store smelled when the manager chopped onions for sauce. My main job was to machine peel the potatoes and blanch them for later use. It was all from scratch back then. Good memories.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I drive by it twice a day. It's still open. Haven't eaten a Penguin Point for years though. Grandpa used to take me to the one in Goshen if we had to run to the John Deere store around lunch time...

Cool.....Miles isn't though, much to Elkhart's detriment.

My wife's first job in high school was the Bristol Street Penguin Point.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Penguin Point was a great fish/chicken/slaw/ff chain. They had them around auto plants throughout michigan. Last sign I saw of one was in Anderson, In and i thought I was halucinating.

I need to go back and investigate.

Pretty sure there is still one in either Warsaw or Wabash...It's one of those "W" towns.

I have eaten at both of them when I used to deliver beer up to both Warsaw and Wabash. That was a few years ago though.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Ponderosa, Shoneys, Ryan's. There may still be some around but not around here.

Shoney's was a great place for breakfast with their breakfast bar, Ryan's was great, miss Burger Chef and hate that Hardee's can't even make the Big Chef right when they bring it back from time to time.

Poor Folks's was a great place also.

It sucks getting old.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    My favorite missing food joints:

Po' Folks
    Sambos - best french dip ever
    Arthur Treachers near 38th and Post
    Famous Recipe Fried Chicken at Stop 11 and US 31
    Chick'n Lick'n in Lawrence, they used to even deliver
    Shakey's Pizza

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    My favorite missing food joints:

Po' Folks
    Sambos - best french dip ever
    Arthur Treachers near 38th and Post
    Famous Recipe Fried Chicken at Stop 11 and US 31
    Chick'n Lick'n in Lawrence, they used to even deliver
    Shakey's Pizza

Yeah!!! Shakey's was our family night out place. It's been forever but I remember one being on the West side of Elkhart. We would stand on the bench and watch the guys make the pizza through the window while the banjo and piano player would do sing a longs!

If I remember right it was on Nappanee Street?

madswede

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2014
    Valparaiso.Confusion
    There used to be a chain that served buffet meals called Shakey's. Great pizza and broasted chicken. My mom would drop me and my older brother off there twice a week cause we ate so much. Funny we are both healthy despite it all. Probably less chemicals in our food in late 70's.

Top Bottom