• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I bought my first gun in November, a Springfield XD. I think the bug bit me and I'm ready to learn how to shoot a rifle "properly." I shot 22's a few times as a kid at camp or behind my Uncle's house, but I've read about the Appleseed program and think I'd like to try that out.

It seems like the 10/22 is a pretty good choice. I wouldn't mind doing some mild tinkering with the gun at some point, so I think it's a better choice than a Marlin or Remington simply due to parts availability. I found a gun that I think looks good, except it has the 16.13" Compact barrel - Ruger 10/22 OD Green Rifle - It's the 1231 model.

Would that work ok for me at an Appleseed and then for general range shooting later? I like the upgraded stock over the standard synthetic or hardwood (and it already has sling studs) but I'm not sure that going for the shorter barrel is a decent idea. Whatta ya say?

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    For 10/22s the general philosophy seems to be shorter is better, that there isn't the same velocity increase that you get with long guns, and most won't go over 20 and many wont got over 18 and some won't go longer than the 16.5. I'm building a 10/22 that will be destined for appleseed this summer, I plan to go from the stock 18 tapered barrel, to a 16.5 bull barrel before appleseed. Also something to consider with barrel length is Appleseed is not benchrest and I've heard many say after the fact that a barrel which is too heavy or too long fatigued the arms and became a hindrance.

That looks like a fine rifle, depending on the sights you may want to look into making them tech sights or get a scope for it, put a sling on it and pick up several spare factory magazines.

Depending upon your FFL fee that also looks like it could be a pretty decent deal compared to getting a standard 10/22 and changing the stock on your own.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have a short barrel 10-22 and it's a great shooter. Anything can be used to shoot Appleseed when you learn how to properly use a sling. Get whatever gun you want and the instructors will teach you how to shoot it. One of them (Techres) even qualified with a Cricket, so it really doesn't matter what you use.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I have a short barrel 10-22 and it's a great shooter. Anything can be used to shoot Appleseed when you learn how to properly use a sling. Get whatever gun you want and the instructors will teach you how to shoot it. One of them (Techres) even qualified with a Cricket, so it really doesn't matter what you use.

This. ^ Even with a heavier barrel, we'll just remind you to take more breaks in standing. Looking forward to seeing you there!

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Absolutely nothing wrong with a standard barrel on a 10/22.

My factory barrel actually outshot the heavy barrel I installed later on. I just convinced myself that I absolutely needed that barrel. It was a waste of money.

Not to say that you cannot build a tackdriver out of 10/22 if you're willing to spend enough money - but for Appleseed purposes it's just plain not necessary and might even be a hindrance depending on physical strength.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I shot Rifleman at my first Appleseed with a 10/22 with a 16 1/4" barrel. It worked just fine. In fact, it was this guy (minus the suppressor):

2aahaau.jpg

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I picked it up tonight! Just playing with it, I can tell why the bolt release mod is needed. What a pain. I may just buy a new piece because I don't have a dremel or files. Will order a sling and probably a scope shortly.

6aLKd.jpg

sxci2.jpg

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Handy-dandy

Nice little gun. Buying a auto bolt release is probably a good idea for your first 10/22. I did several of mine with a half-round jeweler's file but I still recommend buying the first one. While you're at it get a recoil buffer to replace the steel bolt stop pin. Once you've had the trigger assembly apart a couple of times you may decide you need to do something about the factory trigger. Just replace the hammer with a Volquartsen hammer. Quick and easy improvement. Now, trot on over to rimfirecentral.com and read through the Tips & Tricks section. :)

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Nice little gun. Buying a auto bolt release is probably a good idea for your first 10/22. I did several of mine with a half-round jeweler's file but I still recommend buying the first one. While you're at it get a recoil buffer to replace the steel bolt stop pin. Once you've had the trigger assembly apart a couple of times you may decide you need to do something about the factory trigger. Just replace the hammer with a Volquartsen hammer. Quick and easy improvement. Now, trot on over to rimfirecentral.com and read through the Tips & Tricks section. :)

I took the gun apart tonight to clean it. Messed something up on reassembly I think, took it back apart, the pin for the magazine release dropped and then the spring and magazine release dropped. So I got to learn how all that went back together. Not too difficult really, and I'd feel confident further breaking down the trigger group. Not what I had planned to happen, but now I'm glad I learned what I did.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I picked it up tonight! Just playing with it, I can tell why the bolt release mod is needed. What a pain. I may just buy a new piece because I don't have a dremel or files. Will order a sling and probably a scope shortly.

An unmodded release isn't that bad as long as you don't think of it as a button. It moves more like a light switch. A right handed adult can operate the release almost as fast as an auto release. Lefties and kids may have to make some adjustments to get around the stock. Regardless, the 10/22 is a fine rifle either tricked out or bone stock.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Some of the Indiana dates are still being scheduled with the respective ranges. We worked with Sand Burr in Rochester last year and will have some dates for them on the schedule soon. Wabash is another one that usually hosts a couple events a year. Depending on where you are in NEI, you might find Michigan events in Bellevue or Watervliet closer to home. Lima, OH, is pretty close as well for the Ft. Wayne/Bluffton crowd.

See here for locations and dates for all Appleseeds:
    http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states.html

Top Bottom