• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Ok, I get it some sales jocks just don't have a blessed clue what a woman wants in a firearm. At the point they realize they aren't listening (nor do they care) they should also shut their own mouths. I walked by the sales counter today doing some ogling of my own and two sales jocks were helping this couple with two small kids, obvious new gun owners, pick a pistol for the wife. They chose two Rugers for her in 380. One sales person said to not carry chambered because it takes just a second to chamber a round and the other chimes in with how you can keep the safety on too... What the what??? Don't have a round in the chamber AND keep the safety on! I couldn't take it anymore I butted in and gave my two cents and while one of the sales jerks were actually making snorting sounds behind the counter! I suggested she rent and fire them before buying and consider keeping one chambered... Ugh, this is why I never buy firearms from Gander!!!

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    +1 to you for chiming in & giving straight info to the lady. Hopefully she didn't buy & took your advice. As to the stumps (clerks)... You can't fix stupid.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Oh yeah, you're right. Plus don't want them near the kids so better leave in the garage or maybe at a neighbors. They bought two?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Too bad you didn't get to invite them to join INGO so we could have set them straight. I'm talking about both the buyers :ingo: and sales guys :bat:

:laugh:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The people at the gander mountain in greenwood in the gun department have no customer service skills. I only go there to look at products in person to see if I like them. I have bought in the past before I found the likes of INGO.
    i won't buy **** from them anymore.
    if you want to get ripped off then by all means buy a gun there. I saw a used gen 3 glock 26 there the other day for 599! Yes that's not a typo. And it didn't have night sights I don't believe. You can go to bgf and buy a new gen 4 for like 549 plus tax.
    But I'm sure they (gm) have suckers with more money than sense that will pay that for guns.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Ive seen more than enough that I know GM is the last place I will look for a new gun, but I will still look there because they do carry a large inventory. I have, on occasion, even found good deals in their used cabinet. I have heard many times the employees giving harebrained advice that sounds like it came from a liberals bible, but there are also been times that I have met those that could carry out intelligent conversation, with well thought out ideas. You meet all kinds in all sorts of places, and I would venture to say that GM is probably an easier place to get a job than a LGS, so you will have more people with less experience that make a lower wage giving advice on a subject that they have no idea about.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    But, but, but. . . . .they read it on the Internet Commandos/Mall Cop Forum. That makes it true! Right?

Absolutely! :laugh:

CzM2CTB.png

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I don't have NRA certification, but I do use their instructional materials and their methods to teach new shooters.
    I haven't done it a ton of times, but with a couple dozen or so safety classes notched in my belt I don't have a problem in the world stepping into a conversation like that and saying to the buyer/new-shooter something like, "that's not what I teach about carrying in my safety classes."
    Then I leave it up to them to either ignore me (I'm good with that), or ask me to elaborate (I'm good with that, too).
    Usually, it ends in setting up a time/place to run through basics and wrap it up with range time. Plus, if they live close enough, I get a new safe shooter pal out of the deal to be a range buddy.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Merrillville GM=one older dude who knows what he's talking about and 325839 young guys mackin' on cute girls and ignoring everyone else.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I look at GM like I do any business including grocery stores. I know what I want or I browse and get what I want if something strikes my eye. These are my choices and I learned the hard way on some purchases. I'm sure we all have the same education with what we buy. I can't say what someone should buy. I don't want anyone telling me what to buy either.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    These are my choices and I learned the hard way on some purchases. I'm sure we all have the same education with what we buy. I can't say what someone should buy. I don't want anyone telling me what to buy either.

I agree, you gotta fire it before you buy it if you can. Not all shops are the same and some will work with you on price if you talk to them and take a minute to get to know them and/or what they are all about. This couple didn't appear to have a lot of cash to throw around with bad purchases (didn't have designer/brand name anything, but that's just me guessing). After I threw out the suggestion to rent and fire before you buy the sales clerk quickly mumbled something about BGF or Indy Trading Post...so I am really hoping they find themselves at either establishment where they can have someone really work with them and listen to what they are looking for.

EM45HP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Indianapolis/Bloomington
    I was in a similar situation at the Greenwood GM on Black Friday 2012. A couple was buying their first gun and were looking at one that I owned and after hearing too much misinformation and bad advice I butted in to help. The employees were not too happy.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    What??? Guns are way too dangerous to carry! I'm sure they would suggest she keep it at home in the safe where she can go and get it any time she needs it.

How is she suppose to get to it in the safe when she can't leave the kitchen?

I can't even begin to count the number of times I've helped someone after a salesperson tried at a fairly large store in the northern part of the state. Little old woman (old enough that she mentioned her grandson and great grandson were going to help her practice with the firearm) was trying to find a small-ish revolver. Guy behind the counter tried talking her into some Kimber. Not only was that way more money than she wanted to spend, it wasn't something she felt she'd be able to manipulate because of issues with her hand strength. I gave her a couple revolvers to check out. Before I left, I noticed another salesman trying to push a subcompact 9mm. I hope she left empty handed and went on down the road to a smaller shop that is more than happy to help people get into the right firearms.

Top Bottom