• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DVanWinkle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    :ar15: I just got the word that the new 1.8" deer gun caseing will not be in 2012 , maybe 2013 That sucks.

I was wanting to know what size guns would be the best used for the deer hunting. I have been talking ot a gun maker about having a T/C barel fitted to the 357 MAX. TALK TO ME about this. I do type S L O W:patriot:

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I don't have any personal info on the 357 max, but I've heard good things. My concern would be the availability of ammo or componants for reloading. For simplicitys sake I would think about the 44 mag. But if you have your heart set on 357 max, go for it. I love the oddballs.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    I was at the range friday and got my first chance to shoot a 357 max,it was a 20in barreled encore carbine.
    The owner had a 1/4 in steel plate hung from chains at 300 yds and I shot a hole right through it.
    If 357 max won't kill a deer then neither will a 460 weaterby.
    And the recoil wasn't as bad as my 270 win.

DVanWinkle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    Well the gun smith said the casing were the 1.8" I took that as you could buy them. I realy dont know. My grandson hunt with a 44 he only 8 He does a good job with it.

DVanWinkle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    Buford, I ask about puttig a brake on the barrel, if it didnt kick bad without it the brake should help even more. The more I heer apout that the 357 MAX I will have one.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    The gun I shot did not have a brake.
    I don't know the weight of the bullets he was using but they were full metal jacket.
    He told me he bought the brass from star.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Last I heard the new changes are for 2012, where did your info come from?

I could just be behind in my "news".

If I were you, I would hold out for the 1.8" length before you buy a wildcat. 1.625" up to 1.8" length upons up a whole new window of possibilities for wildcats. Just use your slug gun or whatever this year, (and maybe next year if it is 2013 for the new rule), and you can buy your new deer gun and get working on load development etc.

:twocents:

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not sure who told you 2013, but I think they are mistaken. All new regs recently passed are for the 2012 season. The bump from 1.6 to 1.8" case length is included in these changes. That being said, the .357 max is a legal deer caliber this year and has been since the allowance of pistol cartridge rifles. It meets the old requirements of 1.6" (1.605). Again, you have been misinformed, the maxi is not 1.8"
    components for the .357 max can be easily had. Starline makes the brass, and everything else is standard .357 components.
    If you're looking for a 200 yd. gun it may be the way to go. If it is a dedicated deer rifle and shots will be 150 or less, the .44 will do the job too.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'm not sure who told you 2013, but I think they are mistaken. All new regs recently passed are for the 2012 season. The bump from 1.6 to 1.8" case length is included in these changes. That being said, the .357 max is a legal deer caliber this year and has been since the allowance of pistol cartridge rifles. It meets the old requirements of 1.6" (1.605). Again, you have been misinformed, the maxi is not 1.8"
    components for the .357 max can be easily had. Starline makes the brass, and everything else is standard .357 components.
    If you're looking for a 200 yd. gun it may be the way to go. If it is a dedicated deer rifle and shots will be 150 or less, the .44 will do the job too.
    I think his reference to the 357 Max was a result of his understanding that the 1.8" was for 2013. I think he was asking about getting a Max since it was going to be so long for the new 1.8" law. But since the 1.8" law is for next season, and it's already cutting it pretty close to get a Max and get proficient with it, I would stick with my recommendation to hold out and hunt with shotgun/muzzleloader etc this year and go to something in the 1.8" range next year.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One thing to consider (if you're hung up on the 1.8" thing) is to get a TC reamed to 460 S&W. You can't shoot 460 this year, but you could shoot 454 casull out of it this season. Personally I feel the .44 mag is more than adequate for most hunting situations posed in this state. The 357 maxi has a decided advantage in trajectory for longer shots and kills them stone dead. No experience with the 460, but I would imagine there would be considerable gain in energy, and decent trajectory.:twocents:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    One thing to consider (if you're hung up on the 1.8" thing) is to get a TC reamed to 460 S&W. You can't shoot 460 this year, but you could shoot 454 casull out of it this season. Personally I feel the .44 mag is more than adequate for most hunting situations posed in this state. The 357 maxi has a decided advantage in trajectory for longer shots and kills them stone dead. No experience with the 460, but I would imagine there would be considerable gain in energy, and decent trajectory.:twocents:
    The wildcats that mimic centerfire rifle calibers are much more suited to the flat, open terrain of northern Indian, but they aren't particularly out of place in Southern IN either. It would be dependent on the terrain and the shooter. At my family's property in northern IN, if you had a good shooter, and a capable cartridge, shots out to 5-600 yards are very feasible. Legal cartridges are the hold-back. The length increase makes it more feasible to reach out there. If I can get ballistics out of a 358 WSM wildcat similar to what I get out of my .308 long range gun, I am fully confident that I can put a deer down at 5-600 yards if the weather conditions aren't particularly difficult. But that will all depend on what wildcat they come up with and what it is capable of.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes, if you're shooting deer at 500-600 yds. I'd hold out for the wildcat.:rolleyes:
    I'll stand by my original statement, "The .44 mag is more than adequate for most hunting situations posed in this state." If you want to reach out to 250 or so, then the 357 maxi will do just fine. The 460 would probably also be a 250 yd. gun. The truth is 3,4,5, or 600 yd. shots are just not vey feasible (much less advisable) for MOST indiana deer hunters Including Northern In. where I was born and raised and still deer hunt. Wildcats are awesome, and I'm not doubting their long range capabilties. I too am intersted to see what the wildcat guys come up with given the new specs!:yesway:

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I have 6 Maxi's in Encore's and H&R's. I love them, and will probably still use them somewhat after the rules are changed next year. But, I will build a new Wildcat 1.8" gun next year.

I do have a factory SS ProHunter with a 20" fluted .460 S&W Mag barrel as well.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'll lease you deer hunters my 458 SOCOM upper for ~$50/day with a small $800 security deposit. :D

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The truth is 3,4,5, or 600 yd. shots are just not vey feasible (much less advisable) for MOST indiana deer hunters Including Northern In. where I was born and raised and still deer hunt.
    Very true, but MOST IN deer hunters don't even bother with the wildcats, they buy what is cheap (shotgun slugs) shoot 5 practice shots 3 weeks before the season and call it good.

For somebody that shoots long-range (500+ yards) commonly, it is much more realistic to expect a successful deer shot at that range.

I can hold 4" groups at 500 yards with my .308 using off-the-shelf ammo. If a wildcat has similar ballistics, I don't doubt one bit that I can hit a deer sized target in the kill zone at said range.

ETA, I recently watched a video that a member of another forum dedicated to precision shooting posted of his hunt in Australia for a whitetail sized antelope (or something similar they have over there). He made a clean, one shot, instant drop kill at a range of 1700 meters (IIRC).

Last edited:
    Top Bottom