• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    EHD is bad ju-ju. The 2007 EHD hit was a bad one. In my area it turned the hunting clock back to the mid 70s as far as deer sightings go.

Funny stuff in that it can almost wipe out a local herd and a mile down the road it doesn't effect the herd at all.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    does anyone know if blueish spots on a deers side is part of EHD? I've had this doe appear multiple times on my trailcam, and it looks very malnourished, but spots on it look almost blue.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If I remember correctly, deer will often die within 2-3 days of displaying symptoms. It hits them hard and fast. They will seem disoriented or stumbling. Often around water as it dehydrates them and makes them thirsty. In 2007 farmers would see buzzards circling their farm ponds, when they investigated there would be dead deer around the edges of the water. I've never heard of spots other than the tongue.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Any updates? I've heard Morgan is getting hit hard, and many other counties have reports.

The latest from Chad Stewart....

Quote:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]You caught me in between projects, so I can respond quite quickly. Putnam and Morgan Co have received, by far, the most reports within the state. I would estimate that several hundred deer in each location have likely succumbed to EHD. We received confirmation earlier today that a Morgan County deer tested positive for EHDV-6, which is an exotic, though previously detected, strain of EHDV (typically we see type 2), and may attribute to the increased virulence we are seeing and Morgan County, and potentially, Putnam County. In all, we have received reports from EHD in over 30 counties, but in most counties, it is only a single or a couple reports.[/FONT]

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Does the disease transmit to other animals that eat the dead animals, such as coyotes or buzzards?

EHD Transmission:
    • The EHD virus is not transmissible to humans.
    • The virus deteriorates in <24 hours after death and cannot be spread from dead deer carcasses
    • The virus does not appear to be a threat to livestock.
    • There appears to be no risk associated with direct exposure to the virus or in consuming a deer that has been infected with the virus.
    • However, never kill or eat a sick deer.
    • Use rubber gloves to field dress deer.
    CWD (related to "mad cow" disease) is another story (BTW we have NEVER had CWD in this state!): Chronic Wasting Disease and Potential Transmission to Humans - Vol. 10 No. 6 - June 2004 - Emerging Infectious Disease journal - CDC

Last edited:
    Top Bottom