• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I picked up this earlier this week and wanted to post a review.

IMG_20130315_095551_710_zps530e0d45.jpg

Let me start by saying I have no affiliation with the guy the makes and sells these (BuckStopsHere), I am just Impressed with the quality and value in this piece of kit and wanted to share my thoughts with INGO.

I was looking for small strop to keep in my pack that stays in my car (Get Home Bag / might need this stuff at work bag). This little strop is perfect for this. It is 5 1/2 inches long by 1 1/2 inches wide. The size works perfect for my pocket knife (3 3/4") and Izula keeping in mind that it stays with me where ever I go. It weighs next to nothing so it will always go hiking/camping with me. I enjoy sitting under a tree and sharpening my knifes, it gives me time to think.

IMG_20130315_095611_046_zpse1f3a8f8.jpg

This is a 2 sided strop one side comes preloaded with compound and the other side is bare leather. This is a perfect set up. 4 sided strops are nice for at home if you have the space to store it. 12" x 3" x 4 sided is my preferred at home Strop set up but there is no way it will ever leave the house, its just too huge. Like I said earlier, I enjoy maintaining my blades while relaxing out side, so this Pocket Strop is perfect for sitting on the deck and taking care of my gear.

The Value is outstanding for a travel/pocket strop, $15 to my door. My only mistake, should have ordered 2 or 3. I will be getting another for my kitchen and one for the garage.

The best thing is they are made right here on INGO.
    INGunOwners - View Profile: buckstopshere

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I am really glad to hear that you're enjoying the strop and thank you very much for the feedback. Once you're GB 3 comes in, you'll be able to put a mirror edge on it with that little pocket strop.

I actually have a larger one for the kitchen or to use with your campfire cooking gear. Same design but comes in at 10".

I'll work out a deal for you on the shipping of multiple items.

samo975

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    my only concern is with the type of edge that would produce. It looks like it should be used with a flat edge. but whenever i have seen leather strops i am used to them being on a belt sander setup (which would produce more of a convex edge).
    I am a big fan of the spyderco sharpmaker (which is the flat edge type) so i think this thing would be perfect.
    thanks for posting

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    my only concern is with the type of edge that would produce. It looks like it should be used with a flat edge. but whenever i have seen leather strops i am used to them being on a belt sander setup (which would produce more of a convex edge).
    I am a big fan of the spyderco sharpmaker (which is the flat edge type) so i think this thing would be perfect.
    thanks for posting

I'm glad you brought this up. The strops I'm making have a 20* carve out on the side. You can see the lines in Cyprants picture above. The reason the edge starts to convex is because free handing sharpening or stropping changes the angle (which you could clean up on your sharpmaker) so I wanted to give a guide so those who are new to stropping wouldn't have to worry about finding the right angle.

20* is a good utility angle. If a different angle is required on a specific blade, I can adjust or make multiples guide lines.

If you're using the 40* angle on your sharpmaker and follow the guide lines on the strop, you're edge shouldn't convex for a very, very long time if at all.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    On a slight tangent..

Am I the only one that read buckstopshere's nick as buckSTROPShere when they first read the review?

Top Bottom