• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Anybody ever tell you, after seeing your pantry full of food...

"Boy if the s*** hits the fan, I'm coming to your place!!"

And they are serious.

Note: Objecting to their claim would make some serious waves in your family. Think in-laws.

Gee, I would love to have another mouth to feed, especially one that has ignored all the news and warning signs that I lay before them, and continues on in liberal complacency. I'd love to have you come mooch off me, given that instead of prepping yourself you waste all your money on crap you don't need. I'd love to protect you, given that you get under my skin whenever you're around.

ARGH!! Maybe its just the person who said it, more than what they said. But either way... anybody else reluctantly expecting SHTF Freeloaders????

Last edited:

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I get that too. My response is like H*** you will. I'll treat you like the zombies that i'm killing. Those are the same type of people that refuse to own a gun and take any type of training.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    No, only two people will I take in. Both of them are struggling to pay bills and keep food on the table. Both good hard working people that are really trying. I know I can trust both of them. They will not be a freeloader but an asset to being here.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I think for imediate family I would be ok with it. Not ideal of course, but they are family. Now some cousin that I don't see but once a year at Christmas?? Here's a few meal starters, good luck to you. And don't come back!

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I can't even talk to my family about things like this , they either think I'm crazy or nothing that bad will happen .

OOOO k , if it does their gonna be SOL !

Catmanjoe

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Denham
    My family thinks I\'m nuts.... I will take in anybody who can provide a useful skill and help with defense if they are willing to provide labor and a skill set I will help them if not they will be given 2 bottles of water and 1 meal and set on their way.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    My family thinks I\'m nuts.... I will take in anybody who can provide a useful skill and help with defense if they are willing to provide labor and a skill set I will help them if not they will be given 2 bottles of water and 1 meal and set on their way.

I would say then you would have a line outside your door. Two bottles of water and a meal for free? Everyone will find out about it and soon run you out of supplies.

IF it got that bad, we would have to learn to be very selfish very fast to survive.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I have a few good friends, and close family that I'd be willing to let stay out here, as long as they pitch in... and bring what food they can, or help in the defense of the farm. Most of them have guns so that will help. And a couple are even starting to try to stock up on food like I am trying to do. Anyone else will be turned away.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Yup I have heard it all before. Everyone on my Moms side of the family says Im coming to your house if SHTF! My stepfather has guns and ammo and thats mostly the reason why. I can't understand that mentality and if anyone said that to me I would tell them that they are not welcome they need to fend for themselves.

Go Devil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I meet with a small group of men on Friday mornings to talk and support one anothor. Each week one of us is responsible for a topic.

My topic last Friday was titled "End of Days"- Pandemic, Financial Disaster... Are you prepared?
    They were all a bit edgy, and most replied that such things "won't be as bad as expected and if it is, they are all coming to my house."

I responded "I'm Noah, and the door is closing." By that time, I will be far from here."

I'm the odd ball in that company, so it goes.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    Well If SHTF I'm not staying here in Indiana.

My Family has a Cabin and land in Northern Michigan. I have told all my friends they are welcome to come. Community is important in that situation. But everyone has to earn their keep. I can't farm 80 acres of land on my own

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Anybody ever tell you, after seeing your pantry full of food...

"Boy if the s*** hits the fan, I'm coming to your place!!"

And they are serious.

Note: Objecting to their claim would make some serious waves in your family. Think in-laws.

Gee, I would love to have another mouth to feed, especially one that has ignored all the news and warning signs that I lay before them, and continues on in liberal complacency. I'd love to have you come mooch off me, given that instead of prepping yourself you waste all your money on crap you don't need. I'd love to protect you, given that you get under my skin whenever you're around.

ARGH!! Maybe its just the person who said it, more than what they said. But either way... anybody else reluctantly expecting SHTF Freeloaders????

They can have it. I've got someplace else I'm going. ;)

Seriously, my "first tier" bug-out/rally spot is with someone I've made arrangements with. I already knew what he brought to the party, and laid out what I had to offer in terms of skills and equipment. The agreement is for me and my family, no one else.

If, however, the situation is such that I don't go there and someone shows up on my doorstep, I have a decision to make. On one hand, I don't really want to see a friend--or a stranger for that matter--starve or get pummeled by a mob, but I also can't afford to put my own family at risk either.

Case by case, I guess.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Gotta agree with the case by case idea. Drawing a line in the sand is one thing and easy to defend if a bunch of gangbangers come pounding on your door. But what about the guy and his wife and 3 kids running 100' in front of an mob of 20-30 crazed individuals, screaming for help? Do you let them in and fend off the zombies together or do you turn a deaf ear to their pleas? Not a pretty scenerio, but it could come to that one day.

I have to think that there will be a few hard rules should that day arise, but a lot of things will be decided at the moment based on the knowledge at hand.

United

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    No, because why would I ever let anyone see that?

yeah, same here. I don't show anyone my SHTF stash in the house, generator or anything else.

Now, I've shown people my BoB in my car because they wre curious of it's contents in trying to make them one..but that's it.

Even if your neighbors or whatever knows what you have, it should indeed be a case by case basis. If a younger couple across the street thinks all this SHTF talk is nonsense and then when it does happen they show up and say "hey neighbor, can we come in (insert reason here) because we didn't prepare or take it seriously" then it would be very, very unlikely for me to help them out....unless I knew 100% that the crisis would be over quickly and I had ample amounts of food/water for them.

Helping out kids, regardless of their parents planning preparedness, will always be done in my eyes, but the rest just has to be played by ear as the situation unfolds really.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I agree that having half of town come over and jump in your lifeboat is a real problem, and yeah, if you have a secret hideout location, keep it to yourself.

At the same time, most of us are gonna be hard pressed for security and workers. If you are going to stay in place, doubling up with another family or two is not a bad idea. Have a couple of spare mosins to pass out...

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    When I have tried to approach the subject of preparedness with my family, they look at me like I am crazy, so I have stopped trying. Explaining to them why it is prudent to have at a bare minimum, a couple of weeks worth of food and water was an exerscise in futility.

I don't expect my Mom to start hitting up the WalMarts at midnight buying her six boxes of ammo...but it isnt unreasonable to ask her to put a couple of bags of beans and rice and some cases of water in a closet somewhere.

When I came across this question, I thought to myself, "Hell no, nobody gets to share in what my wife and I have stocked up." I wonder if I could keep that steel reserve in a real SHTF scenario. Especially with my immediate family. Now my parents and siblings are all mortgaged up to their eyeballs and swimming in debt...hey, its the American way, right? They cant seem to look past the immediate future at what is coming down the pipe, and they cant survive longer than 2 days without restocking at the grocery store. I don't know if they could be anything other than a drain on my supplies. I can't honestly think of any skills that they could bring. Which is sad. A society just barely removed from the Greatest Generation has devolved into a nation of helpless babies. My father was a Viet-Nam vet for christs sake, but now he's pushing 60 and I couldnt count on him to help run a homestead.

Maybe they would all surprise me, but I doubt it. I'll probably help them as much as I can...but no cousins!!! My generosity ends at immediate family.

indysafe317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I meet with a small group of men on Friday mornings to talk and support one anothor. Each week one of us is responsible for a topic.

My topic last Friday was titled "End of Days"- Pandemic, Financial Disaster... Are you prepared?
    They were all a bit edgy, and most replied that such things "won't be as bad as expected and if it is, they are all coming to my house."

I responded "I'm Noah, and the door is closing." By that time, I will be far from here."

I'm the odd ball in that company, so it goes.
    Is this a regular meeting open to anyone or just friends. I have been trying to get a similar thing together up in Cicero and just ran across your post. Just curious. Thanks.

Top Bottom