• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    Go Grendel save yourself the trouble. Search all things Grendel here & more depends on what you want out off your weapon. I would still go Grendel, from what I have read there is no comparison.

worksalot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    I guess it depends on what you are wanting it for. I have the grendel in an AR platform from J&T and love it accuracy, easily under .75 inches at 100yrds and great ballistics.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I guess it depends on what you are wanting it for. I have the grendel in an AR platform from J&T and love it accuracy, easily under .75 inches at 100yrds and great ballistics.

I'm getting under .8 inches at 200 yards with one of my Grendels.

As for the 50 Beowulf, its a great round but not much utility here in Indiana. Pick up a 458 Socom and you can use it for whitetail deer hunting and get similar ballistics to the 50 Beo.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I tip my hat, I need to practice more. Nice shooting.

5 shots at roughly 70 yards.
    P1000074.jpg

3 shots at 200 yards.
    12-2.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    are you kidding me

Nope. That 3 shot grouping was shot at an INGO Meet & Shoot event last year at the Winamac 200 yard range. There were others shooting that same rifle and did reasonably well with it, not quite as well as me, but that was not my first time with that gun while the other guys were shooting it for the first time.

The 5 shot group was the day I sighted the rifle in at my back yard range.

One thing that aids to the accuracy of the gun is the trigger. I put in a Timney target trigger and I believe that makes the gun easier to shoot well.

Notice too that those groups were shot with inexpensive Wolf ammo :):

PaPa 260

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    melensdad, I maybe wrong but the way I perceive your response to worksalot is a negative chest thumping my rifle is better than your rifle response. In reading the post it seems like worksalot was giving a straight forward answer to the original posters question. I have no idea what the original posters intentions are for the either cartridge but if it is a deer/hog hunting agenda, then the 50 Beowolf has utility for him. It just seems to me that we should keep the response to the question asked confined to the merits or short coming of the cartridges he asked about. Feel free to "square me away" but that is my take on it.

PaPa 260

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    melensdad, I maybe wrong but the way I perceive your response to worksalot is a negative chest thumping my rifle is better than your rifle response. In reading the post it seems like worksalot was giving a straight forward answer to the original posters question. I have no idea what the original posters intentions are for the either cartridge but if it is a deer/hog hunting agenda, then the 50 Beowolf has utility for him. It just seems to me that we should keep the response to the question asked confined to the merits or short coming of the cartridges he asked about. Feel free to "square me away" but that is my take on it.

PaPa 260

I had no intent to thump anything, but my response regarding the 50 Beowulf was a practical answer from one Hoosier to another since that round is NOT deer legal in Indiana and if there are any wild hogs in this state they seem to be very rare. That said, the 50 Beowulf has no practical hunting purpose. I mentioned the 458 Socom as an alternative simply because it is deer LEGAL in Indiana currently and it provides big bore performance out of an AR15. It is possible that the 50 Beowulf MAY become legal for deer in the future, but currently its not.

As for the Grendel, if you go back and read my post, you will notice that I attribute the accuracy in part to the fact that there is a target trigger. Rather than thumping my chest on how good a shot I am (because I don't consider myself a good shot!) I simply showed what the Grendel is capable of and I gave credit to the trigger. I do have a lot of experience with the Grendel, I was probably the first here on INGO to talk about it and own one based on the threads here. Perhaps my familiarity with the guns/rounds helped? The rifle that shot those groups was my 3rd Grendel.

PaPa 260

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    Fair enough. It just seemed like a chest thumping response to worksalot , with no useful information to the original poster because you didn't know what his intended use for either one was. You are correct that the 50 Beowolf may not have any hunting utility in Indiana, the poster may intend to hunt out of state or possibly he just likes a big bore thumper. I hunt out of state and use rifles that may have no utility in Indiana. I have seen your posts with pictures of your Grendel, it is very nice rifle. I have a Grendel as well and really like it. I have worked with it lot and I know what it will do. I don't own a 50 Beowolf and there for I won't comment on its performance or utility. Enough said.

PaPa 260

neraph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    U can always trim the beowulf brass down to 1.625

You could, but that is a very bad idea. .50 Beowulf, being a straight-walled, rebated-rim case, headspaces on the case mouth. If you shorten it (and use it in a normal Beowulf chamber), you may have problems with the firing pin not being able to strike the primer

You could use a shortened chamber as well, but that costs money and you've basically got a wildcat on your hands anyway. Might as well get a .358 WSSM.

Kelevra TAR-21

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I still don't know which one I want. I want both, but can only afford one. No hunting involved. I just watched Mack on future weapons doing rigged demonstrations on all the weapons and wrote down the ones I wanted. Even though Mack skews all the information to create drama. I am starting to lean towards the Grendel.

mmartinsbin

Plinker
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Granger, IN
    I went for both, long range accuracy and short range smack down. Decided on the 16" Beowulf and the 24" Grendel.

Two different weapon systems, not really a comparison.

Unrelated I threw in the 5.7x28 FN upper just for fun.

Top Bottom