• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I picked up a Ceiner .22lr AR-15 conversion kit for my AR-15 at the August 1500 and just had a chance to use it today for the first time. I had hesitated on the Ceiner version because Ceiner seems to be getting a bad reputation, but with the supplies of M-261 kits drying up and the relative scarcity of the Olympic Arms kits, I decided to buy the Ceiner kit while I had the chance. I paid about $140 for it and it included the bolt, one 10-round magazine, a plastic storage box, and an instruction pamphlet.

50qv4h.jpg

I have to say I was quite impressed with the kit. It was just as easy to install as indicated. Literally took about 15 seconds. Just pop the rear takedown pin, pull the charging handle, remove the bolt carrier and replace it with the Ceiner bolt. Reassemble and you're good to go.

(Conversion kit shown with AR-15 bolt for comparison)
    5e74u9.jpg

The instructions say that you need to use high-powered .22LR ammo and that it may not function with standard velocity. I used cheap Winchester XPert 22 Hollowpoint (white box) ammo from Walmart and it worked flawlessly; not a single FTF or FTE. Note that you will need to lubricate the kit, though. I had to run a couple of rounds to see where it was rubbing so I could tell where to put a few drops of FP-10.

I shot from a couple of positions; standing, kneeling, and sitting on a bench. All shots were from about 100 feet, with both a red-dot scope and with iron sights. Even with my poor marksmanship skills, I was able to shoot 3" groupings which is plenty accurate enough for plinking (at least for me). I ended up putting maybe 70 rounds downrange. $1.40 vs $35 in ammo makes a .22 kit well worth the money. Afterward, I sent a couple of .223 rounds down to blow the crud out of the gas tube.

Unfortunately, I only had the 10-round mag that comes with the kit. I'm going to have to pick up a couple of Blackdog mags.

If you have an AR, I recommend picking up a .22 conversion kit. You won't be sorry that you spent the money. If you plink a lot, it will pay for itself after just a couple of outings.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    My daughter's pink AR15 has a Ceiner conversion. I agree with your review, its a good system. BTW the main reason that the Ceiner kits have a 'bad' reputation seems to be from people who deal directly with Ceiner. I gather his company has a lackluster reputation for service and is slow to respond. The actual kits work well.

I agree that lube is a good thing with these kits. I always use copper washed bullets. Standard velocity works well, despite the warnings that say only use hi-vel ammo.

One thing to note, when you use the Black Dog magazines do not put any upward pressure on the magazines while shooting. The magazines will come in contact with the bolt, slow the action and cause failures to eject. Its never happened to me but my daughter had all sorts of trouble with it. It is an OPERATOR ERROR issue and not the fault of the mags or the conversion kit. She was actually resting the weight of the rifle on the magazine and that is what caused the mag to push up against the bolt, slowing it, causing the failure. Its only an issue if you shoot prone or from a bench and are short enough that you could rest the rifle on the magazine.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It is an OPERATOR ERROR issue and not the fault of the mags or the conversion kit. She was actually resting the weight of the rifle on the magazine and that is what caused the mag to push up against the bolt, slowing it, causing the failure.

I remember you saying that in other threads about the kits. Really, it's good advice for *any* configuration. You really shouldn't be using the mag support your shooting regardless.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Spasmo learned that the hard way with my 10/22. She was doing the same thing (with Butler mags) and it was causing the same problem. I bring a bag now to support the front of the rifle.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Great review Scutter!

lovemywoods has the Ceiner kit in his M4 and I must say that its a good kit. He keeps loaded BlackDog mags in the safe, and when I come over I pull them out and empty them off the back porch, just for fun! Installing the kit really only takes 15 seconds.

turnandshoot - if you grow tired of shooting the expensive 5.56 when you just want to "shoot the rifle", then the conversion kit is the way to go. Scutter paid $140 for the kit, which means it will pay for itself in no time flat. Highly recommended!

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Hmm I see. I was wondering if there was a major difference in the "feel" of the 10/22 vs the AR. I'll have to look into getting one. Do they have larger capacity mags?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    turnandshoot - if you grow tired of shooting the expensive 5.56 when you just want to "shoot the rifle", then the conversion kit is the way to go. Scutter paid $140 for the kit, which means it will pay for itself in no time flat. Highly recommended!

The conversion kit has turned my AR15 from something I can't really afford to shoot very much into something I can shoot on every range trip. I'd say that qualifies as a good investment.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Hmm I see. I was wondering if there was a major difference in the "feel" of the 10/22 vs the AR. I'll have to look into getting one. Do they have larger capacity mags?

The only difference in "feel" using the kit is the super-duper light recoil. Otherwise its EXACTLY like shooting your AR.

There really is nothing like shooting a .22 that has an adjustable stock, forend grip, tactical light, 27-round magazine, and an AimPoint.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    I like my Ciener. Had to do a little tweaking, but it runs well.

I distinctly recall using the mag on my AR as a monopod during the course of a 3-day carbine class with Pat Rogers a couple years ago. Worked well. Not optimal, but works in a pinch.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

The "feel" is about the same (except the obvious differences in sighting, trigger pull, etc.). Very low recoil and low noise. You can get Blackdog magazines that (I think) are 25 round. They run about $30.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Thanks everyone! Now if I could get all of you to convince the fiance that I need one:) Cause you sure convinced me!

So get her on here. I'm sure we can bring her around. Besides, it's simple math. $140 is 466 rounds of .223 (at 30 cents/rd). How fast can you burn through 466 rounds? 466 rounds of .22lr is like $10.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks everyone! Now if I could get all of you to convince the fiance that I need one:) Cause you sure convinced me!

1k rounds of .223 = $450
    1k rounds of .22 = $40

If you shoot, on average, 500 rounds per month, that's 6,000 rounds every year.

6k rounds of .223 = $2,700
    6k rounds of .22 = $240

So that's a savings of $2,460 every year. Now subtract the initial cost of the kit and you have a total savings of $2,320 EVERY YEAR.

Now go into the kitchen and announce to your fiance "HONEY! I FIGURED OUT HOW TO SAVE $2,300 EVERY YEAR!"

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    You could always tell her that shooting the tiny bullets is better for the environment??

(ok, so now we're into flat-out lying. . .)

Top Bottom