AR15 - Red-dot Full Co-witness or lower 1/3?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    Getting ready to order a Trijicon MRO for my Colt AR15. The rifle has a fixed front sight and MBUS flip-up rear. Should I be looking at full co-witness mounts or lower 1/3? I believe I understand the difference, but is it just personal preference, or is one better than the other? I've done a bit of research online, but I think I'm more confused now than when I started...Anyone have either of these set-ups and what do you like? I shoot a bit of 3-gun, but mostly plinking at under 200 yds. I'm leaning towards lower 1/3, but wanted to get opinions before purchasing. TIA.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I preferred the absolute co-witness. The 1/3 does give a greater field of vision around the red-dot, because the irons aren't blocking, but its just what I preferred.

I don't shoot any competitions or anything. Its just what felt more rightier for me.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I have both, but tend to sway towards lower 1/3 these days. Main reason is some of the items I need to mount on my rail (IE IR laser when shooting with my Night vision on) I prefer to mount at the 12 oclock. The lower 1/3 allows the red dot to clear.

If not planning on mounting anything at the 12, like on some of my other ARs, I keep it at the absolute just so if I flip up my irons I have a good sight through the optic

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I have only looked through lower 1/3 a few times, but I actually find that view with irons more distracting. It seems more natural to look through the irons with the red dot. Looking at the red dot, the irons don't draw my attention with absolute cowitness so thats what I use.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I prefer true cowitness. A consistent cheek weld is a good thing but a lower third is nice if shooting with a gas mask on.

sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of the bottom 1/3 for field of view, especially when transitioning from target to target during matches. But the true co-witness also makes sense, because the focus point for irons and the dot would always be the same. No eyes wandering down to the irons, which I shot for a long time. May just end up having to buy both to see what I like better.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I prefer true cowitness. A consistent cheek weld is a good thing but a lower third is nice if shooting with a gas mask on.

I prefer an asbolute co-witness for the same reason as phylodog. Consistent cheek weld/head position for both sighting systems is indeed a good thing.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Something else to consider: A good QR mount for the red dot.

Dot goes bad...you remove it and you're right back in the game.

But an absolute co-witness would be the best, as noted above, for consistency.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I like fixed irons and lower 1/3 co-witness. the difference in check weld is ridiculously small. cleaner sight picture w/ the dot, yet just push the cheek into the stock a little more to shoot w/ the irons.

2c

-rvb

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I have full. Wish I had lower 1/3rd, only because I learned on focusing on the front sight post, and my eye tends to gravitate there instead of the dot (since it tends to be close).

Top Bottom