Trip Report: Holiday Gun Shop Tour 2009!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Trip Report: Holiday Gun Shop Tour 2009!

Christmas was over but we had some time off, so INGO member esrice and I took a tour of eight gun shops in central Indiana. All but one was outside of I-465 and most were in counties surrounding Marion county.

2qd7a03.jpg

We decided to take a few pictures and record our impressions of these shops to share with our INGO friends.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We found out that Guns and Ordnance is out in the boonies!! It snowed the day before our trip and we took this picture along the way to show how remote it is. We went through Hall, Indiana to get to the shop. It was the first visit to Hall for both of us!

On way to Guns and Ordnance
    257opz8.jpg

Shop #1
    Name: Guns and Ordnance
    Address: 7279 Hall School Road, Martinsville,
    Hours: M-Sat 10-7
    Met: Butch
    Impressions: Butch made us feel very welcome and gave us his introductory spiel about the business. We learned that they are a Class III and Class 10 dealer. They manufacture a beefy semi-auto shotgun. They have a large stock of long guns, goodly amount of handguns, and lots of accessories. They are a Barrett dealer for those of you who like to convert $5 bills into recoil and noise!

This shop is a real gem and worth the drive into the hinterlands of Indiana. One caution…You will have difficulty convincing your wife that you ‘just happened to drive by’ this place!

Exterior of Guns and Ordnance
    2ecmd7r.jpg

Interior of Guns and Ordnance…and Butch!
    29xbrqs.jpg

esrice with the shop’s own production semi-auto shotgun at Guns and Ordnance
    23li3uq.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shop #2
    Name: Plainfield Shooting Supplies
    Address: 3735 Shady Lane, Suite C, Plainfield
    Hours: M-F 10 -6, Sat 10-3
    Met: Bob, the owner
    Impressions: Plainfield Shooting Supplies is well known to many INGO members. Bob has lots of handguns and rifles and a friendly staff ready to take your money!
    Bob said that INGO members have helped his business. During our time in the shop, Bob kept eyeing the INGO coat esrice had on. He even offered to trade him for one of the coats on the clothing rack!

Exterior of Plainfield Shooting Supplies
    25pk4ec.jpg

Interior of Plainfield Shooting Supplies
    ifx6x0.jpg

Shop #3
    Name: Fort Liberty Firearms
    Address: 8401 E. US Hwy 35, Suite C, Avon
    Hours: M-F 10 -6, Sat 10-5
    Met: Mike and Tony
    Impressions: Super clean store. Had a recent break-in; thus the new steel posts in the picture below. Had a modest inventory of handguns and long guns. Very friendly team.

Exterior of Fort Liberty Firearms
    dqtd7m.jpg

Newly Installed posts outside Fort Liberty
    e6qdcx.jpg

Interior of Fort Liberty Firearms
    1zl3goy.jpg

It was time to make a pit stop so we grabbed some burgers and fries at Five Guys hamburgers on US 36. Good Cajun fries..and they give you tons!

Thanks go to VUPDblue for recommending the restaurant and joining us for lunch!

2n7e4w0.jpg

Standing in the parking lot of the restaurant after lunch, we looked up and saw this Fort Liberty billboard!

wlofb8.jpg

Shop #4
    Name: Premier Arms
    Address: 417 East Main Street, Brownsburg
    Hours: M-F 10 -6, Sat 10-3
    Met:
    Impressions: Small store but navigable. Some older guns and collector pieces along with current arms. Friendly sales associates. Didn’t come away with a sense of their ‘speciality.’

Premier Arms exterior
    5yvuah.jpg

Premier Arms close up of sign. We appreciated their clear support for the Second Amendment!
    bj74ar.jpg

Shop #5
    Name: His and Hers Target Sports
    Address: 408 S. Main Street, Sheridan
    Hours:
    Met: Ron Cooper, owner
    Impressions: The store had a comfortable old-time feeling and a modest selection of handguns and long guns. They also had a good, basic selection of accessories with some ‘hidden gems’ like the Gemtech suppressors! Ron was very personable.

Target Sports exterior
    xom5g0.jpg

Target Sports interior
    2uzv0uw.jpg

Shop #6
    Name: Wyatt’s Sporting Goods
    Address: 40 East Buckeye Street, Cicero
    Hours: M-F 12-8, Sat 9-6
    Met: Zach Wyatt
    Impressions: The new store showroom is spacious and clean. There was coffee brewing and more open floor space that either of us had seen in a gun store. Zach was friendly and helpful and told us about the design work that went into the range backstop. The range is planned to be open in the Spring of 2010. Zach noted that both handgun and long gun inventory was currently low. They had a little bit of many accessory types. We both came away a bit unsatisfied with the visit. Saw lots of potential but the shop didn’t deliver it on this trip.

Wyatt Sporting Goods exterior
    adc0vm.jpg

We weren’t able to get an interior picture, but here’s one from their website.

WyattsGunsMain.jpg

Shop #7
    Name: KS&E Guns
    Address: 8756 Pendleton Pike, Indianapolis
    Hours: M-F 11-5, Sat 11-5
    Met: Ed
    Impressions: We arrived right at closing. Darryl was already driving off and Ed was closing up. I have visited KS&E several times, but esrice had not. It’s a small shop with a modest inventory. They sell lots of guns. They are a stocking CZ dealer. Ed will put together some good bulk ammo deals if you give him some time.

KS&E exterior
    14ln3ma.jpg

Between shops we met Mini-14 on the east side of Indy for a quick FTF on a cabinet I bought. I appreciated him driving a few miles to meet with us!

Shop #8
    Name: Beech Grove Firearms
    Address: 207 Main Street, Beech Grove
    Hours: M-F 10-6, Sat 9-3
    Met: Greg, Paul, and the whole crew!
    Impressions: It was great to cap off our day of gun shop visits with this stop at Beech Grove Firearms. We’ve both been here several times. The shop has been in business for two years and has a strong reputation. They have a mid-sized inventory. They are a Class III dealer and have been selling lots of suppressors. Their ammo selection is adequate and some case lots of ammo are available. Good people, good place.

Beech Grove Firearms exterior
    nvz5gz.jpg

Beech Grove Firearms interior
    5e7myx.jpg

I caught esrice fondling a short barreled rifle that Greg recently built…. (POF 9" piston SBR)

2198569.jpg

It was now dark and time to head home. We managed to keep most of our money in our pockets this time!

What a great day…talking guns and looking at guns…and meeting gun people….and eating …..and talking guns………..

:ingo:

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I had an EXCELLENT time yesterday! Thanks to lovemywoods for proving the gasoline and lunch! It was great seeing Nick (VUPDblue) and I'm glad he could break away from work to join us!

Next tour-- southern Indiana!!

:ingo:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Looks like you both had a great time! I do like the looks of that shogun made by Guns and Ordanance. What are your impressions of it? Seem pretty good quality, pricing? How do you think it would compare to the Saiga line of shoguns? I haven't been to that shop before, I may have to check them out sometime.

BTW very nice AAR of your tour. I'd say you were prob pretty close on your judgements. I do wish Wyatts would get things straightened out and back to normal again though.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What are your impressions of it?

HEAVY! It's built like a friggin' tank! They are milled steel receivers.

Seem pretty good quality, pricing?

MSRP was $2,200 on the semi-auto version, and $22,000 on the full-auto.

How do you think it would compare to the Saiga line of shoguns?

The Saiga 12 is cheaper, offers just as much semi-auto fire-power, and much easier to carry and maneuver, IMO.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What? No West Side Pawn / Loan? :laugh:

No 500 Guns? :D

The criteria for this trip was gun stores we have never been to before (with the exception of PSS because it had been several years, and BGF because we wanted to end on a high note:D), so we obviously didn't hit them all.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Looks like you both had a great time! I do like the looks of that shogun made by Guns and Ordanance.

Looks like a Gilbert/Daewoo USAS-12; that design has been around on and off since the 1980s. Shotguns of that type are currently classified as Destructive Devices by the BATF.

A bunch of USAS-12 parts, receivers and parts kits made it onto the market several years ago; my guess is that Guns & Ordnance is assembling new guns from these. Dave or Evan, please correct me if that's not the case.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Great read! Thanks for posting it.

Looks like you guys had a good time.

The semi auto shotgun looked nice... but not $2,200 nice!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    A bunch of USAS-12 parts, receivers and parts kits made it onto the market several years ago; my guess is that Guns & Ordnance is assembling new guns from these. Dave or Evan, please correct me if that's not the case.

No correction necessary, sir. :ingo:

robbran144

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    southside/greenwood
    on your next trip are you going to visit places like Indy Trading Post,tactical shotgunner,Bradis? Ive been to 2 of those as well as a few of the others on your first trip and think they would be good reviews also.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    on your next trip are you going to visit places like Indy Trading Post,tactical shotgunner,Bradis?

This trip was mostly comprised of stores that we hadn't been to before. The above listed stores are top-notch, but just weren't on the agenda. If TSG were open on Mondays we probably would've stopped by to see Ron and the new place.

We're already talking about doing Southern and Northern Indiana routes next year.

Top Bottom