GP100 crane/cylinder movement forward (video incl)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hey guys, the great minds of INGO have helped me solve dilemmas in the past. So here's another one that I'd like some feedback on.

Edit: follow-up thread here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/407792-follow-up-gp100-crane-yoke-movement.html

My 2 yr old GP100 (4", stainless) has been a great gun. About 800 rounds downrange. This last year when I started using Safariland speedloaders (that require pressing against the cylinder/ejector star to get the rounds to release), I noticed that the WHOLE crane had some forward movement. This is not endshake or anything similar, it is the entire assembly moving forward. I have disassembled and reassembled multiple times to see if something was out of line. With the way the trigger group locks in the crane, it just seems to be very loose tolerances. It always seems to return back to normal position and has not caused the cylinder to not be able to close or anything like that.

EDIT TO ADD: some movement here IS normal, I've verified that. What concerns me is that it has stuck open (cylinder forward, did not spring back and did not allow me to close the cylinder) on a couple occasions. This is my real concern.
    The crane pivot lock and spring (factory fitted/pressed) are what allow for some forward movement here)

Look for forward movement of crane (below forcing cone)

[video=youtube;EPhVgqwPqPk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPhVgqwPqPk[/video]

Again, some movement here is normal. The cylinder not closing, however, is not normal. I can't induce the error all the time. It gets stuck just a mm or 2 forward, but enough that the cylinder doesn't close. I've only found a few other similar incidents reported on the web, and these seem to end up in replacing the firearm. Here's one such link (just skip to the end to avoid the b.s. of folks thinking he's talking about problems with the speedloaders themselves... ) RugerForum.com ? View topic - New SP101 - Crane and crane pivot movement

So, assuming you saw the video, does YOUR GP100 do this with slight pressure on the back of the open cylinder?? Does this seem normal?

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Eesh the weird things people do with guns...

My super redhawk has the same movement. I've been through the gun inside and out a few times and everything is cherry.

It's most likely just how rugers are designed. If I remember correctly, a spring loaded plunger is what holds the crane in.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Eesh the weird things people do with guns...

My super redhawk has the same movement. I've been through the gun inside and out a few times and everything is cherry.

It's most likely just how rugers are designed.

like use a speedloader... strange indeed
    :)

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Just checked mine with the 4.2" barrel. Mine is solid as a rock with no movement. I have put well over 1,000 rounds through her. I'll be curious on what Ruger says.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    My 6" does it. I've never had it apart, but it feels spring loaded to me.

Thanks for the feedback. Mine feels springloaded as well, but I think that speing pressure is from the whole crane pushing forward on the whole trigger assembly and thus the trigger return spring is the only thing that could/should give it any springy-ness... (same spring that you push in from back to release the whole trigger group in basic disassembly)

But... I don't know why/how that spring should affect the crane -- considering how the crane detent is retained by the nub at the top of trigger assembly housing.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'd be interested to hear what Ruger says, but I'm not worried about it. I have to push pretty hard to make it move. The fact that it springs right back in place makes me feel like nothing is out of place.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    initial email response from Ruger:
    Response:
    This is normal to have some movement. If you would like us to take a look at your revolver , please contact our Product Service Department at 336-949-5200 with the serial number to have an RMA number issued for return. If you are calling from a state that has firearm restrictions (CA, CT, NY Etc.) we recommend you have your local dealer contact us for the RMA number. Thank you for your email.
    ----------------

So.... I might send it in. I'm not worried that there is movement at all, I'm worried by the amount of movement. In firearms, 1/8" could be failure. Yes... I might be overreacting a bit, especially since it hasn't caused any major issues thus far. I can only think of one reload that I had to struggle to get the cylinder closed.
    Since I have another handgun at my disposal, it won't leave me without one, and I'd like them to at least look at it.
    I'll call and see what their revolver folks say (as opposed to the general email folks).

For factory warranty issues, I can send it directly to them, right?
    AND can they return it directly to me? (If they were to swap serial #s, would that require a 4473 at FFL?)

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Well I never noticed that my GP100's and SP101's did this until I seen your post here, so I checked them all and I have a little movement in 5 SP101's and 3 GP100's of which one is a Match Champion. All of these revolvers have had thousands of rounds through them, one with many more and never had a issue running them...

Still interested as to your dealings with Ruger over it though...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    initial email response from Ruger:
    Response:
    This is normal to have some movement. If you would like us to take a look at your revolver , please contact our Product Service Department at 336-949-5200 with the serial number to have an RMA number issued for return. If you are calling from a state that has firearm restrictions (CA, CT, NY Etc.) we recommend you have your local dealer contact us for the RMA number. Thank you for your email.
    ----------------

So.... I might send it in. I'm not worried that there is movement at all, I'm worried by the amount of movement. In firearms, 1/8" could be failure. Yes... I might be overreacting a bit, especially since it hasn't caused any major issues thus far. I can only think of one reload that I had to struggle to get the cylinder closed.
    Since I have another handgun at my disposal, it won't leave me without one, and I'd like them to at least look at it.
    I'll call and see what their revolver folks say (as opposed to the general email folks).

For factory warranty issues, I can send it directly to them, right?
    AND can they return it directly to me? (If they were to swap serial #s, would that require a 4473 at FFL?)

Yes and Yes.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    That is pretty normal for a production revolver. Different guns may have a small gap or a larger gap - but when the gun fires the cylinder is slammed back against the recoil shield until after the bullet has made it out of the cylinder and into the bore. So it really doesn't matter. Mass production tolerance stacking. GP 100s are very good guns for the price.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    That is pretty normal for a production revolver. Different guns may have a small gap or a larger gap - but when the gun fires the cylinder is slammed back against the recoil shield until after the bullet has made it out of the cylinder and into the bore. So it really doesn't matter. Mass production tolerance stacking. GP 100s are very good guns for the price.

I agree that it is a great gun for the price, especially since it responds pretty well to basic trigger jobs and spring changing.
    From your answer I'm not sure if I made it clear that I'm NOT talking about cylinder gap (my cylinder gap measured at .005, which is perfect), but that crane latch assembly.
    And, I'm only a bit worried about the gun getting bound up with cylinder closed, I'm more worried about it causing problems with opening/closing cylinder

*Disregard this message if you understood my OP*

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Ok, I took did a details strip and clean on the GP100 tonight. Long story short, I'm not overly worried about it, and I won't send it back to Ruger unless it gives me trouble (I've had a couple bad reloads where the cylinder didn't easily close all the way... I always though it was because a case wasn't fully seated because of dirty chambers, but now I'm suspicious of this movement in the crane was possibly contributing)
    I'll attach some photos here to show WHY I'm not overly worried in the morning. It's late and I'm tired :)

Top Bottom