• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Gather round, kids, I have a story about an epic quest. A quest to make a Glock shootable in the hands of a guy who cut his teeth on revolvers and 1911's, who try as hard as he could, just couldn't get a Glock to do what he wanted it to. No matter how many thousands of rounds he put down range, no matter how many instructors he had coach him, he would consistently shoot groups triple the size at any given range with a Glock as he would with a revolver. He liked the simplicity of the Glock, he liked how easy it was to maintain, he liked the capacity...he just couldn't get the accuracy out of it that he wanted.

So, last summer I had Charlie (Charlie Co) do a trigger job. More details here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...review-charlie-company-trigger-job-glock.html

Then I procured a grip adjust that changes the grip angle to that of the 1911. One of these doo-dads: HOME

...and then I promptly forgot about it and let it sit in the safe for about 5 months. Yeah, I know. I didn't expect a lot of difference, and frankly thought it was going to be a Don Quixote story. I was wrong.

1899902_593064914109360_881668430_n.jpg

That is a 30 round group, 29 of which are in 3.9", 24 of which are in 2.4" group. Freehand, less than half a second between shots, 3 strings of 10. The one flier is 100% my fault because I wasn't ready for how short and light the followup shot was going to be at first. This was at 7 yards at ITP today using American Eagle 180gr FMJ.

This is, by far, the best I've ever shot a Glock.

1016315_593064897442695_1043344087_n.jpg

The head shots were with a rental FNS-40 for comparison purposes. I'll do a write up on the FNS when I have more time, but in a nutshell the double action was pretty heavy and the higher bore axis made is snappier than the Glock, but the sights are really good, single action trigger is good, and its accurate, especially given its the first time I ever touched one.

I plan to get a Gripforce for my duty Gen 4 Glock as well, but since its a duty gun I can't have a trigger job on it due to dept regs. It'll be interesting to see how much difference there is between stock, stock + gripforce vs Charlie Trigger + gripforce.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Great write up BBI. I'm glad it is working out good for you. I can tell by the picture of the target that it is working.

I would also suggest getting a SIRT training pistol to train with. My nephew has one and his shooting skills are amazing. The trigger is adjustable on the SIRT to match your duty gun and the weight is the same. You can also purchase an extra mag to practice with.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I'm all for shooting whatever works best for you personally, but I just don't understand the thinking behind buying a gun, lets say $500, then adding a trigger job, call it ~$150, adding the grip do-dad, ~$30 for a total of ~$680...when you could just buy a different (just as reliable) gun for $400-$600.

That being said, I have never shot a Glock and am not trying to dog them by any means...just curious.

If it works, stick with it.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    (Waiting on the sound of the four horsemen.....)

Seriously, though, congrats on finding the right combo that works for you. Welcome to the fold (bwhaa,ha,ha!)

just don't go all Glocko (my own patented term!) and order all that Glock Store stuff next, 'K?

:)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm all for shooting whatever works best for you personally, but I just don't understand the thinking behind buying a gun, lets say $500, then adding a trigger job, call it ~$150, adding the grip do-dad, ~$30 for a total of ~$680...when you could just buy a different (just as reliable) gun for $400-$600.

That being said, I have never shot a Glock and am not trying to dog them by any means...just curious.

Its not about reliability, the Glock has been 100% since day 1 as long as it doesn't have a light on the rail. The main reason is having the gun tailored for you. Any given gun is for anyone and everyone, and is limited because of that. Its not made for YOUR hand size, or YOUR trigger finger reach or YOUR eyes, or YOUR natural aim point, etc. etc. Simply buying a different $600 gun is unlikely to give me the results that customizing a gun to fit me better would.

The main reason I've tried to hard to like Glocks is its my issued handgun, so I don't have much choice when I'm back in uniform for a detail. Plain clothes in my regular assignment I can carry almost anything I want, and I carry a Sig P220 or a Ruger GP100. The GP100 is factory (a Wiley Clapp edition) and the Sig is factory except for the sights, which are Trijicon HD's.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Its not about reliability, the Glock has been 100% since day 1 as long as it doesn't have a light on the rail. The main reason is having the gun tailored for you. Any given gun is for anyone and everyone, and is limited because of that. Its not made for YOUR hand size, or YOUR trigger finger reach or YOUR eyes, or YOUR natural aim point, etc. etc. Simply buying a different $600 gun is unlikely to give me the results that customizing a gun to fit me better would.

The main reason I've tried to hard to like Glocks is its my issued handgun, so I don't have much choice when I'm back in uniform for a detail. Plain clothes in my regular assignment I can carry almost anything I want, and I carry a Sig P220 or a Ruger GP100. The GP100 is factory (a Wiley Clapp edition) and the Sig is factory except for the sights, which are Trijicon HD's.

That makes sense, like I said, I was just curious...and if it works stick with it. I have never had a gun customized to my preferences, and honestly, I don't know what my preferences would be if I were to have one done. I am a relatively new shooter and although I have a custom built 1911, I just bought it...didn't pick out what went in to it and why.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    How many yards? I find that the glock stock trigger is perfectly shootable. Same as any of my s&w wheelies or the 1911s I've shot. This is an Indian thread, not an arrow thread, it seems.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County

Commonality between your carry weapons can't be a bad thing. It's the reason my household has consolidated into all Glocks.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

It's the same reason why most people who buy M&P's immediately put the APEX trigger kit in.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How many yards? I find that the glock stock trigger is perfectly shootable. Same as any of my s&w wheelies or the 1911s I've shot. This is an Indian thread, not an arrow thread, it seems.

I've never had any trouble qualifying it, its always been "good enough", but I shrunk my group sizes by about 50% with these modifications. Same Indian, different arrow. I hope to do some steel work soon and see how much difference I see there. I think if any further modifications are going to be done, it'll be replacing the sights with Trijicon HDs like on my P220.

That makes sense, like I said, I was just curious...and if it works stick with it. I have never had a gun customized to my preferences, and honestly, I don't know what my preferences would be if I were to have one done. I am a relatively new shooter and although I have a custom built 1911, I just bought it...didn't pick out what went in to it and why.

It can be trial and error, trust me. I put XS big dots on a CZ and it ruined it for me, the factory sights were much better. Sometimes you don't know until you try it. With Glocks, I was tending to string my shots left. Straight left or straight right is often a sign the grip doesn't fit your hand from front to back and you're getting too little or too much of your trigger finger and pulling the gun off target. When I did fast presentation drills, I would shoot high. This is generally a sign of grip angle not matching natural point of aim. You can adjust this somewhat via training, but you can only fight nature so much and its often better to modify your equipment to work with what your body naturally wants to do. Hence the grip adapter.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I would much rather take a $500 gun and put $500 into it and make it awesome for me than to have two $500 run of the mill guns. Given how much money we invest and, dare I say, waste on this particular shared interest. It always seemed funny to me that people would hedge on investing a few extra bucks to make the weapon they bet their life on as good as it could possibly be. Once again BBI is a very wise man.

Top Bottom