• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I was wondering on the legallity of calling in coyotes and foxs for practise during the off season. I would be carrying a pistol if that affects the answer. I have had zero luck calling so far and im thinking i ,might be able to hone my technique on some dumb pups. plus removing the shooting part would free up some attention to see what i may have been missing before. thoughts on this matter? I understand they are a nuisance on private land but im more interested in the public land aspect of this question. thanks

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    You won't be in any trouble at all calling in yotes and fox during the off season, but don't have a gun of any sort on you at the time, not even an air rifle, unless you want to risk losing the gun, possibly your car, a big slug of money, and possibly even jail time.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Just understand the likelihood that you will be educating them and they will be much more difficult to kill once season rolls around. Dumb animals they are not.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Just understand the likelihood that you will be educating them and they will be much more difficult to kill once season rolls around. Dumb animals they are not.

This ^^^

OP, are you aware that it is legal to hunt coyotes year-round on private land with written permission from the landowner? No need to worry about educating them in the off-season if their education is a lead-pill that results in a dirt nap...

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    As long as your on private property you can call and kill them all year round you just can't sell the fur... If your want to call and kill and practice your skinning skills or just let'm lay then have at it, just remember the fur will not be as thick as winter coats... But get written permission on the land your going to hunt...

JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    Educating a coyote is the worst thing you can do. Fox are kind of dumb, but coyotes are brilliant predators. Not to mention skittish to start with. If you're calling and want to see coyotes. Look downwind.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    This ^^^

OP, are you aware that it is legal to hunt coyotes year-round on private land with written permission from the landowner?

The DNR has proposed removing the requirement for the permission to be in writing, and is scheduled to announce their decision on all the proposals at their meeting on May 25.

Right now, I have two pages of landowner signatures. LOL!

rockola1971

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    Over Here
    The DNR has proposed removing the requirement for the permission to be in writing, and is scheduled to announce their decision on all the proposals at their meeting on May 25.

Why would you NOT want to have written permission to cover your butt for a potential tresspass legal problem? It only takes one Joe Land Owner to "change their mind" or decide they dont want you there while you are there and WITHOUT written signed permission you are in a world of hurt when DNR and the Police show up.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Suggest practicing your calling in a different location than where you plan to hunt so, so that you're not training the yotes you hope to hunt come fall.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    If I was calling coyotes and knew I was making a big difference in the population I would wait when fawns start popping out and use a fawn bleat or distress . I was thinking of doing this myself.

10mmMarc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Greenwood

And that is a proposal I hope gets turned down, they even put the form in the hunting regulations magazine now to make it very easy.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Written permission has never been required for any hunting in Indiana except for hunting coyotes outside of the regular season. No sense to have written permission for that when you can hunt anything else without the permission being in writing.

Top Bottom