• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pitbull88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    So, I am planning my home security needs. So, far, I have order a Visonic Powermax Pro home security system.

I have ordered a Barska biometric gun safe for handguns.

My plan is to have a combo (carry/bedside gun) in the barska safe (unloaded), with clips in a nearby drawer. I also plan to buy a Mossberg 500 and store it in the closet (with shells in mag) with a shotgun lock like this: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxL84oNYafo[/ame]

My questions to the group, would this scenario enable me to provide defense if necessary in a timely manner, while still childproofing the home from guns?

I have 4 children. I have also received mixed advice on whether to be transparent about the guns (with the kids) versus not telling them.

Would appreciate a critique of my planning...

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Teach your kids EVERYTHING about safe gun handling. Kids are curious about what they do not know. If they know not to touch a gun unless Dad or Mom says so, so many bad things can be avoided. Education is priceless. If you gun is locked and unloaded, then you don't have a gun. You have a club. And not a very effective club. Just MHO. Nest wishes for whatever you decide is best for you.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    How old are the kids? 4 is not the same as 12. The plan is different depending on the age and their experience level with firearms.

My family evolved from guns hidden away and to high for the kids to reach, to firearms that were assigned to each child as they grew older. They knew that it was theirs and they knew where they were in case of an emergency. If one wanted to see their gun, I brought it out.

They shot them as often as they wanted and were encouraged to handle them unloaded in the home if they wished. They were also responsible for cleaning their guns.

The younger ones took the attitude of the older children.

When they left the home, they all took their guns with them.

They were supervised more than they realized, but unloaded guns were treated the same as a crescent wrench.

I feel uncomfortable with the term "childproofing". I and my brothers wandered the woods of northern Minnesota with 22 rifles when Grandpa decided we were ready. Usually around 7 Years. My brother, Bill, was not allowed until he was 9. Grandpa decided.....

Maybe I rambled, I hope this helps.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    From a home / family defense standpoint, locking guns up and keeping them separate from ammo is going add time.

Something to consider is to carry your handgun on your person at all times (you know it is secure) and lock everything else up. At night you can put it into the safe loaded, or on the night stand, where it is within quick reach.

If you can't or don't carry at work, you can lock it up unloaded during that time, so it is away from the kids.

There are several scenarios where having the gun ready and loaded may make a difference in your ability to defend you home and family, just like carrying with a round in the chamber does. There aren't too many bad guys that are going to let you load your mags and chamber a round while they wait.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I agree, why would you want to have your gun unloaded in your safe?
    Keep it loaded (full loaded magazine in the gun), chamber empty or not is ok IMO.
    You do not want to look for your magazine in the middle of the night, you will have other things in your mind.
    Also keep a light with your pistol (either light mounted or the gun or flashlight next to it) and one mounted on your shotgun.
    Like other said already teach your kids about the guns (gun safety, not to touch them depending on their age etc) where the guns are and such.Dont make it be a taboo.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I agree that if you have an unloaded gun, you do not have a gun. If you have the handgun in a safe, put the mag in it! to be honest if you are keeping it in a good biometric safe, I personally would keep a full mag in, and a round in the chamber.

As to the children, educate them! even if they are "secured" children are curious, and catch on to a lot more then most of us give them credit for.... meaning all it takes is one time for the child to see where a spare key is kept, and they will know it and will remember!

The NRA has a wonderful education program for children it is named Eddie Eagle.

shortyforty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    middlebury
    my children range in age from 5-10 they all shoot with me and my wife every chance we get,that said you know your children better then any "net ninja" so it is your call as to how to store your firearms or how to intraduce them into your family. my advice is this if you are keeping them locked away and unloaded just keep a hammer and pointy stick near by so in a shtf situation you can buy some time to get your firearm into the fray

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    If your kids are old enough to ask, they are old enough to learn about firearms.

For young kids, the NRA Eddie Eagle program teaches the following steps, and it's a great starting point:

1. If you see a gun STOP, don't touch it.

2. Leave the area immediately.

3. Tell an adult immediately after leaving the area.

Tell your kids the only time they should ever go near your guns is under your direct supervision. Tell them they may ask questions at any time, and that you are willing to involve them in shooting activities, but guns must never been handled without your direct supervision. This lays down the law, and helps eliminate SOME of the mystique.

When you think your kids are old enough to handle firearms (cleared, and at the house) be sure to teach and enforce the RNA rules for safe gun handling.

A BB gun or .22 of their own can be appropriate as well. Keep it locked up with your guns and all of the same rules apply. This is a great way to introduce the safe gun handling rules.

A caution about Bio Safes: Most of what I have heard and experienced is not good when it comes to letting your life depend on a bio safe. It's fine for keeping the guns locked up away from the kids, but if your life is going to depend on access to that firearm you should really think twice. I have not heard good things and have personal experience with these safes and find them unreliable for quick access. I even had a local manufacturer stop in my shop to demo his version. NOT ONCE did the safe open for my fingerprint in dozens of tries. He scanned both thumbs and forefingers several times. Nothing weird about my fingerprints either, lol! Good luck! :twocents: :ingo:

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    My son and his wife insist that their 2 children grow up with the knowledge that guns are very, very bad. When they visit I have to prove to them that the guns are locked up and unloaded in the gun safe and will remain in there until they leave. That pretty much leaves me to my baseball bat for home defense if needed.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I have a 4 year old that I have taught to not touch a gun if he sees it out and to notify an adult. I quiz him from time to time to make sure he remembers. Yesterday i cleaned my gun and while I was putting the supplies away I left my unloaded(no mag or ammo in the same room) Sig laying on the otoman. I knew my wife and son had just gotten home. The first thing he did was gasp because I left it out then told my wife it was there, and asked where I was. I told him how proud I was that he didnt touch it and notified mom. Then asked if he had any questions before I put it away. I keep it loaded and out of reach for him, but I feel safer knowing he did the right thing.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    If someone kicks in yer front door, and your firearm is elsewhere, you, and your family are toast.

I carry all the time, and have for many, many years. I owe no proof of ANYTHING to ANYONE in my own home..... ESPECIALLY regarding my firearms.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I have a 4 year old that I have taught to not touch a gun if he sees it out and to notify an adult. I quiz him from time to time to make sure he remembers. Yesterday i cleaned my gun and while I was putting the supplies away I left my unloaded(no mag or ammo in the same room) Sig laying on the otoman. I knew my wife and son had just gotten home. The first thing he did was gasp because I left it out then told my wife it was there, and asked where I was. I told him how proud I was that he didnt touch it and notified mom. Then asked if he had any questions before I put it away. I keep it loaded and out of reach for him, but I feel safer knowing he did the right thing.

Nicely done. That's exactly my recommendation to parents.

Repped

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    If your kids are old enough to ask, they are old enough to learn about firearms.

For young kids, the NRA Eddie Eagle program teaches the following steps, and it's a great starting point:

1. If you see a gun STOP, don't touch it.

2. Leave the area immediately.

3. Tell an adult immediately after leaving the area.

Tell your kids the only time they should ever go near your guns is under your direct supervision. Tell them they may ask questions at any time, and that you are willing to involve them in shooting activities, but guns must never been handled without your direct supervision. This lays down the law, and helps eliminate SOME of the mystique.

When you think your kids are old enough to handle firearms (cleared, and at the house) be sure to teach and enforce the RNA rules for safe gun handling.

A BB gun or .22 of their own can be appropriate as well. Keep it locked up with your guns and all of the same rules apply. This is a great way to introduce the safe gun handling rules.

A caution about Bio Safes: Most of what I have heard and experienced is not good when it comes to letting your life depend on a bio safe. It's fine for keeping the guns locked up away from the kids, but if your life is going to depend on access to that firearm you should really think twice. I have not heard good things and have personal experience with these safes and find them unreliable for quick access. I even had a local manufacturer stop in my shop to demo his version. NOT ONCE did the safe open for my fingerprint in dozens of tries. He scanned both thumbs and forefingers several times. Nothing weird about my fingerprints either, lol! Good luck! :twocents: :ingo:

The above is great for teaching your children and I would be open with them and also have them fire a weapon as soon as you can. Once they have handled (great time to teach safety) and then fired a gun not only will they have respect for it the curiosity will be gone. I find with my kids youngest now 10 they would never pick up a gun unless I was around. They don't even want to go to the range with me very often. I have always told them if they want to shoot them I will take them anytime and I think that helps with the mystery of it all. There is nothing better than enjoying firearms with your kids, and for me the time out hunting is priceless.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I also have some young children. (Agree with all the stuff by IndyGunSafety above and just to reiterate...)The way we went about it was that we got them BB guns (too young still for real--IMO) and we make them treat the BB guns like real guns. We make them recite the gun rules before every session. We don't hide anything, but they also kow the guns (inc BBs) go in the safe and do not get "played" with. Shooting is ok with parental supervision only (this in regard to BB guns too) If they see a gun they leave and tell one of us --(parents only-don't want them telling the wrong person). And lastly, we don't talk about the guns outside of the house.

My plan is to have them so comfortable and used to safety rules that when I give them their first .22 the proper care and use of firearms will be second nature to them, rather than something new....

Hope that helps!

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Respect for the power of a firearm/bullet can be easily taught to children by simply taking a few unopened short soda-pop cans to the range. On your way to the berm/backstop, shake the cans real well, then set 'em up. When even a lowly .22 LR bullet penetrates that can, the pressure released will destroy the can. It really makes an impression.

Pick up, and remove any non-resident material before leaving any range.....

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    There are nearly unlimited options and choices when it comes to children and firearms safety. What is perfectly safe for one family may not be for another. What it really boils down to is common sense. If you don't have common sense, you probably shouldn't own firearms. If you do have common sense and you don't feel safe, you probably aren't. :twocents:

pitbull88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    On the unloaded gun

This was advice I received from a friend with kids (not necessarily good advice).

It seems the consensus here is: if you have a gun, keep it loaded. I think I will opt this route. I think the Barska safe will give me quick access and protect kids from access.

I also appreciate the ideas on training the kids. I really like the BB gun idea, as a way to learn and handle the gun, lock it up, etc. I also like the idea of a demonstration of the power of the gun.

Thanks to the board experts.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    There are nearly unlimited options and choices when it comes to children and firearms safety. What is perfectly safe for one family may not be for another. What it really boils down to is common sense. If you don't have common sense, you probably shouldn't own firearms. If you do have common sense and you don't feel safe, you probably aren't. :twocents:

Couldn't agree more. Children are very different in how they respond to firearms education. I see it in my own two boys and their personalities. My oldest is five and wouldn't even touch the empty rifle hard case when I asked him to pick it back up after the dog knocked it over. That's how seriously he takes the admonitions from mom and dad not to touch firearms. Though my younger is only a shade over two, I can tell by his personality that he's going to be completely different.

The key is to be safe according to your family's needs and capabilities.

Top Bottom