What's it really like at a Donald Trump rally?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Stein is one of my favorites...even if you disagree with something he says the rapier wit lands its touché anyway.

'oxymoronic Dole rallies' chuckle, snort.

Though Peggy Noonan in his quote is out of her mind if she thinks open primaries are good for any party. If politics is a game of addition then that addition only matters in the general election not in using the primary to force an untenable candidate on the opposition.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Great overview of what Trump is about. After reading it I can go either way, Trump or Cruz.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I've listened to Steyn so many times subbing for Limbaugh that I was able to read the article while imagining he was actually reading it, which made it all the more amusing and delightful :)

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    IndyDave1776 said:
    A great read it is! it clearly addresses the fact that much of Trump's success comes from being real as opposed to the formaldehyde-preserved establishment zombies we keep getting shoved down our throats.

Real? Is he really being real?

He's a smart guy, I'll give him that. He can read a crowd. He can read a large part of a nation, apparently. He's figured out that the nation wants irreverence. The nation wants a candidate who abandons decor and party loyalties.

He hasn't been pro-2A until recently. He hasn't even been conservative until recently. Those stances certainly seemed quite fluid, but we've decided that the rest of his act is genuine and real?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Caution: objects may be less real than they appear.
    +1 to that

He's a smart guy, I'll give him that. He can read a crowd. He can read a large part of a nation, apparently. He's figured out that the nation wants irreverence. The nation wants a candidate who abandons decor and party loyalties.

He hasn't been pro-2A until recently. He hasn't even been conservative until recently. Those stances certainly seemed quite fluid, but we've decided that the rest of his act is genuine and real?

He's got the buzzwords that angry people want to hear. Therefore, he's conservative enough for them. There's no telling what stances he would actually take if he had the chance.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County

He hasn't been pro-2A until recently. He hasn't even been conservative until recently.
    Those stances certainly seemed quite fluid, but we've decided that the rest of his act is genuine and real?

As to the first point - his sons are enthusiasts, and I believe he's said that their experience and input has made him reconsider his positions.

As to the second, has Trump really gotten more conservative, or has the GOP as a whole moved more to the center-left?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

OK, I will start with addressing that he is not Charlton Heston and is not a John Bircher.

He definitely has correctly observed the demand for irreverence, but this necessarily demands answering the question of what it is that people are tired of giving reverence. I dare say that they are sick of being expected to give reverence to political hacks who act 'presidential'. I would point out that in the media's election between Obama and Palin (with McStupid somehow left out of his own election), that was one of their favorite things to hammer on. Obama looks/acts more presidential, translated he is very good at being a smug and arrogant little m***erf***er. We all see how that worked out for us. Same deal with such personages as Romney and Dole who were selected in spite of being predestined to lost,which is why they were selected. That said, I am completely on board with irreverence directed at both sides of the establishment.

It is important to remember that Reagan started out liberal enough to be a Swede.

Perhaps most important is that no matter where the line is between Trump's showmanship and his real substance, he considers his personal well-being to rest on the strength of the United States. This is itself separates him from all establishment candidates who, while they may talk a good game, take their orders and their allowances from people whose interests benefit from the weakening of the United States. That said, to a great extent, Trump cannot help himself without helping me.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    He's got the buzzwords that angry people want to hear. Therefore, he's conservative enough for them.

If people that support Trump are "angry" then what emotion were the people that supported Obama??? I am just curious....I know Maddow and others have started playing the "angry voter" routine again....(The media used it when Gingrich led Republicans swept the House and the senate back in the 90's...It seems when Republicans rout the Democrats it's because of "anger"...) So what emotion is it when Liberals rout the conservatives??? Is it kind of like pro gun people being "lobbyists" and anti gun people being "activists"?

I have listened to his speeches and laughed a bit but never got angry......What buzzword is it that angry people want to hear? I wouldn't mind getting mad...Not pouring blood on a fur coat PETA mad or blood on my hands screaming at Condi Rice Code Pink mad but just a little angry...Clue me in on the buzzwords...Inquiring minds want to know....

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    JTScribe said:
    As to the first point - his sons are enthusiasts, and I believe he's said that their experience and input has made him reconsider his positions.

That tells me that his positions have nothing to do with the constitution or with individual liberty, as I suspected.

JTScribe said:
    As to the second, has Trump really gotten more conservative, or has the GOP as a whole moved more to the center-left?

Considering that he used to support Democratic candidates, I'd say he has become more conservative.

IndyDave1776 said:
    Perhaps most important is that no matter where the line is between Trump's showmanship and his real substance, he considers his personal well-being to rest on the strength of the United States.

Meh. You could make that argument for any number of wealthy individuals who are extremely liberal. He has leveraged the government to make money with both parties in power and will continue to do so regardless of the state of the rest of the nation. I'm not hanging my hat on this one.

IndyDave1776 said:
    This is itself separates him from all establishment candidates who, while they may talk a good game, take their orders and their allowances from people whose interests benefit from the weakening of the United States.

Who, specifically, are these people whose interests benefit from the weakening of the United States and control the establishment?

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    That tells me that his positions have nothing to do with the constitution or with individual liberty, as I suspected.

That's a pretty big logical leap. Have you read his position paper on the 2nd Amendment?

Has Ted Cruz or Rand Paul called for 50-state concealed carry reciprocity like Trump has?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    JTScribe said:
    That's a pretty big logical leap. Have you read his position paper on the 2nd Amendment?

Yes, I have. I also read prior to that when he supported the assault weapons ban and wanted to extend waiting periods for purchases. Then, all of a sudden his kids get into guns and oh - I like guns! I guess they can be legal!

This does not give me warm fuzzies in terms of individual liberty.

JTScribe said:
    Has Ted Cruz or Rand Paul called for 50-state concealed carry reciprocity like Trump has?

I hope that Rand Paul has too much respect for states' rights to do such a thing.

Trump clearly does not. His support for guns is either A) Pandering to the base, or B) Because he's decided that he likes them.

He strikes me as an authoritarian. What stops him from changing his mind again if he has no guiding principles?

Top Bottom