• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EastIndyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So I was watching a news blurb about the James Vester murder and I learned that the city of Indianapolis pays these community/faith based "leaders" to "patrol" the harder black communities. It pissed me off that one of the "leaders" used his screen time not to condemn the killing or send condolences to James's family but instead to complain that the city was late getting them their money for the year. Now to be fair I know very little about the Ten Points Coalition and in general I feel the city needs all the help it can get to curb crime and violence BUT I don't understand how we can give these "community leaders" our tax dollars when from my understanding there is not enough $ to put more actual police on the street.

I also feel that these "community leaders" present a huge conflict of interest in their partnership with the city. You can't tell me that these guys, being immersed in the communities where so much crime is happening, don't have ties to the criminal elements if not the crime itself. I know I am speculating and Making some strong accusations here. Hopefully some of our LEO members can set me straight. I am mostly just venting here but I don't think it's a good idea to let the higher crime black communities police themselves. I am sure they are a valuable asset in some shape or form but wht I saw in the news blurb footage was a bunch of OGs in neon vests giving the same gang affiliated handshakes to the younger set.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I would like to know what the "Patrols" consist of.

I mean...that sounds an awful lot like "George Zimmerman," doesn't it?

If it's faith-based as it says, I sure hope these guys are armed with more than just the Word of God.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I hate to say it, but you sound completely off-base here. First of all, I doubt the money the City spends on the Ten Point Coalition wouldn't fund two police officers for a year. Secondly, YOU can't tell me that just because these clergy live in crime-ridden communities that they are tied in to the criminal element; they may know who the potential/actual criminals are, but that doesn't make them criminals. Part of the conversion process is to accept people for what they are, then attempt to help them change. The same process is true everywhere, not just in crime-ridden communities.

Instead of accepting your complaint that spending money on the Ten Points Coalition is wasteful, especially when there isn't enough money for more police, let's turn that around. If the Ten Points Coalition and other organizations were successful enough, there wouldn't be a need for so many police.

All that being said, it's obvious that any particular organization trying to reduce crime will meet with varying degrees of success, and there are many other factors mitigating against crime reduction right now. Add in "personalities" and "politics" to that brew and we may NOT be getting our money's worth for the Ten Points Coalition's contributions to crime-fighting, but not for any of the reasons you cited.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    The different organizations that ask for money from the city to "patrol" their own neighborhoods and events like Circle City Classic and Indiana Black Expo are worthless as **** on a boar. I have yet to see any of them actually doing any proactive "patrolling" as they always show up after the fact (kind of like the police) and during CCC and IBE they sit on their asses, eat the food provided for officers that are actually doing proactive crowd control, or have family reunions with the thugs that they are supposed to be supervising. One of the suspects of the residential robbery last month went to church to "pray" with one of the members and it took said member over 2 hours to turn the suspect into police. Having direct experience with these organizations, I say they don't deserve a dime from the city because they don't do productive work.

EastIndyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I hate to say it, but you sound completely off-base here. First of all, I doubt the money the City spends on the Ten Point Coalition wouldn't fund two police officers for a year. Secondly, YOU can't tell me that just because these clergy live in crime-ridden communities that they are tied in to the criminal element; they may know who the potential/actual criminals are, but that doesn't make them criminals. Part of the conversion process is to accept people for what they are, then attempt to help them change. The same process is true everywhere, not just in crime-ridden communities.

Instead of accepting your complaint that spending money on the Ten Points Coalition is wasteful, especially when there isn't enough money for more police, let's turn that around. If the Ten Points Coalition and other organizations were successful enough, there wouldn't be a need for so many police.

All that being said, it's obvious that any particular organization trying to reduce crime will meet with varying degrees of success, and there are many other factors mitigating against crime reduction right now. Add in "personalities" and "politics" to that brew and we may NOT be getting our money's worth for the Ten Points Coalition's contributions to crime-fighting, but not for any of the reasons you cited.

You don't have to "hate to say it". It's cool to disagree with me as long as you are respectful about it. I even said several times that I didn't know what I was talking about and that I was speaking from speculation Albeit speculation from some experience with these communities. My point was with budgets being what they are why are Ten Points receiving any? If they are truly doing the lords work for THEIR communities then go ahead and do that sans taxpayers dollars. Take up a collection from your congregation and local business. How much dough does it take to hang out in the streets and kick it with criminals? It just feels like a hustle to me. I don't really believe in "conversion processes" or rehabilitation in general. Preventative measures and programs? Sure, I'm down. I ve worked in that capacity with young, "at risk" populations for years hoping to make a difference because I do believe everyone should get a chance.

EastIndyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The different organizations that ask for money from the city to "patrol" their own neighborhoods and events like Circle City Classic and Indiana Black Expo are worthless as **** on a boar. I have yet to see any of them actually doing any proactive "patrolling" as they always show up after the fact (kind of like the police) and during CCC and IBE they sit on their asses, eat the food provided for officers that are actually doing proactive crowd control, or have family reunions with the thugs that they are supposed to be supervising. One of the suspects of the residential robbery last month went to church to "pray" with one of the members and it took said member over 2 hours to turn the suspect into police. Having direct experience with these organizations, I say they don't deserve a dime from the city because they don't do productive work.

Thanks frank n stein for your input and partially confirming my speculation. You are Law Enforcement no?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have dealt with some of the coalition a few times and they get in the way, annoy, and generally make doing real police work harder when they are around. One of the fine coalition members actually called 911 while I was on a scene where his granddaughter was the complainant because he felt like I wasn't paying enough attention to her so he called 911 to request another officer. It is important to note that the complainant was on her phone nearly the entire time I was there and she "shushed" me several times because evidently whomever was on the other end of that call was more deserving of her attention than I was. I sat back in my car and began working on administrative things related to the matter at hand and that's when Mr. TenPoint got annoyed with me and called 911 again. :n00b:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I believe the last Grant they received from the city was for $100k. I'm not sure exactly how that money is spent. I believe Rev. Harrison is trying to do good work, but I've never heard stories of 10 Point doing much of anything except showing up after the fact, like Frank said, and spending time clamoring in front of the media trying to convince us they deserve more city money.

In my opinion, one of the most effective messages they could send to these "troubled youth" running the streets, would be to have a middle aged, black woman with a LTCH come speak to them. I would like to see a woman like that sit down with these thugs and say, " enough is enough. I may look like your mama or grand mama. You may look like my son, or grand baby, but if you try and rob me or break into my home, I won't hesitate. I will defend mysell and my family with lethal force if necessary."

Ten Points Coalition is usless until the rest of the community says enough is enough, we want to take our streets back from wanna-be gansters and punks.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I believe the last Grant they received from the city was for $100k. I'm not sure exactly how that money is spent. I believe Rev. Harrison is trying to do good work, but I've never heard stories of 10 Point doing much of anything except showing up after the fact, like Frank said, and spending time clamoring in front of the media trying to convince us they deserve more city money.

In my opinion, one of the most effective messages they could send to these "troubled youth" running the streets, would be to have a middle aged, black woman with a LTCH come speak to them. I would like to see a woman like that sit down with these thugs and say, " enough is enough. I may look like your mama or grand mama. You may look like my son, or grand baby, but if you try and rob me or break into my home, I won't hesitate. I will defend mysell and my family with lethal force if necessary."

Ten Points Coalition is usless until the rest of the community says enough is enough, we want to take our streets back from wanna-be gansters and punks.

I think that Tyler Perry had that in "Madea gets a Gun"!

Top Bottom