• 4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Let us all hope and pray that this never comes to fruition

Senator Andre Carson???

There's a buzz around D.C. today that President Obama is seriously considering Senator Evan "Willow Tree" Bayh as a replacement for Senator Judd Gregg (who was a replacement for Gov. Bill Richardson, who was a replacement for Karl Marx, who sadly is deceased) as a nominee for Secretary of Commerce.

I think this is absolutely brilliant, and not just because "Willow Tree" supported Hillary during the primary, thus giving credence to this alleged "Team of Rivals" our Community Organizer-in-Chief is building (and not just because Bayh might have actually paid his taxes).

It's brilliant for several reasons, but try and follow my logic (for graduates of Perry Meridian High School, I'll go slowly):

1) This might come as a shock to many, but Bayh is in serious danger of losing his seat, which is up in 2010. This would spare him the embarrassment of being the second "Birch Evan Bayh" to lose to an unknown Republican.

2) As you might have learned from the recent Illinois debacle, our governor would then be able to select Bayh's replacement, who would then face re-election in 2010.

3) My Man Mitch should select Congressman Andre Carson to fill the seat.

I'm not kidding. Think of how bi-partisan and forward thinking Mitch would be to name Indiana's first black Senator. What a legacy.

4) Carson would then be forced to run for re-election to his new Senate seat in 2010 (as mentioned), which is a problem for him for a host of reasons:

• He has absolutely no chance of ever winning a statewide election in Indiana. Frankly, Gabrielle Campo could beat him for that 2010 Senate race. This has little to do with his race, but more because of his power base (outside of Lake County, the Carson Machine wouldn't be able to pull off their normal shenanigans). It has everything to do with his Marxist views and the fact that the media isn't as likely to give him a free ride during a Senate race the way they have during his Congressional campaigns.
    • There would then be (another) special election to fill Andre's now-open 7th District seat. Without the Carson Machine delivering ballots to the counting place four hours after polls close, or opening ballot boxes right at the precinct, or the other usual tactics they have patented, the Marion County Republican Party would have the chance to put a real challenger in that race, instead of un-employed recent college grads.
    • After Andre loses his Senate re-election bid, he'd be forced to raise even more money during a presidential cycle to run against the incumbent Republican who now holds that seat. Considering 2012 will be a much better year for the year (hopefully they actually run a Republican at the top of the ticket this time), it will be quite a challenge for Andre to get his seat back.

Last edited:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Sorry..... can't believe that Mitch would do that. I may be naive, but I just can't buy that. :dunno:
    :cheers:

IMO Mitch has made some really, really, dumb appointments in his administration and he would be required to fill the vacant seat with a Democrat. Lets only hope that Evan moves on to DC.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Interesting take. I had not heard the buzz about Bayh. Do you really think Carson would give up a position that is a sure thing for re-election? I am in his area and Julia was always an unimaginable (IMO) sure bet for re-election. The low-income, high % welfare, and high-income tofu eating population of this district insures his seat.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Interesting take. I had not heard the buzz about Bayh. Do you really think Carson would give up a position that is a sure thing for re-election? I am in his area and Julia was always an unimaginable (IMO) sure bet for re-election. The low-income, high % welfare, and high-income tofu eating population of this district insures his seat.

Thats my take also, why give up the sure thing But to be a Senator, the graft prospects would be endless and a chance to really hobnob with Obama.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    The Governor can choose who he wishes regardless of party. I would love to see Bayh take the job. He hasn't represented us in a long time he has been a party hack. I wrote him a nice "I think you are scum" letter about the vote for the stimulus.

txgho1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    DFW
    • Gabrielle Campo could beat him for that 2010 Senate race.
      Lets all hope Campo is retired of her political aspirations. Even if she is just playing the liberal centrist republican. Luger fills that roll. It may take conservatives a few well placed stealth candidates to help cause the pullback on gov it will need in the next decade.
    • There would then be (another) special election to fill Andre's now-open 7th District seat. Without the Carson Machine delivering ballots to the counting place four hours after polls close, or opening ballot boxes right at the precinct, or the other usual tactics they have patented, the Marion County Republican Party would have the chance to put a real challenger in that race, instead of un-employed recent college grads. Whatever happened to Beth White? You think she would allow this to just fall apart? Without the money DNC pushes here you may be right.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    Daniels would appoint a Rep to that seat (Eric Dickerson? He's Black, a businessman, a fiscal Conservative, and a supporter of Daniels re-election. Right up Daniels alley). To replace Bayh, that would be great.

I don't see Andre Carson going anywhere.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Per the Indiana Constitution (Article 5, Section 1) an individual cannot be Governor more than 8 years in any 12 year period, thus, Mitch Daniels is not eligible for reelection. Meaning his reelection is not an issue for any choices he may make.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    he wouldn't have to replace him with a Dem.

Obama picked Gregg only because the Gov of his State is a Dem and they would pick a Dem to have supermajority.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    IMO Mitch has made some really, really, dumb appointments in his administration and he would be required to fill the vacant seat with a Democrat. Lets only hope that Evan moves on to DC.

No, he would certainly pick a Republican. Any governor faced with this choice has almost uniformly appointed someone from his own party. Lt. Governor Becky Skillman has been mentioned around the statehouse. I would support her unequivocally for the spot.

Top Bottom