• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I see the problem. This is a measure of REGISTERED guns. Since we are not required to and generally don't register guns (I understand that some local PDs will for insurance purposes, but then again, it has been decades since I have talked to anyone who actually did this), we necessarily will come in artificially low in the guns per capita measurements using registered guns as the criterion.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I suspect they are using some kind of count of 4473s as a proxy for "registered" for those states that don't have an actual gun registry, and yes it seriously undercounts those states. While the 4473s are not (to our knowledge) collated at the federal level due to the "no gun registry" rider in whichever appropriation bill, I'll bet the BATFE at least requires FFLs to provide a count of how many forms or guns they process, or perhaps this info is collected during inspections. Maybe an FFL can chime in.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I suspect they are using some kind of count of 4473s as a proxy for "registered" for those states that don't have an actual gun registry, and yes it seriously undercounts those states. While the 4473s are not (to our knowledge) collated at the federal level due to the "no gun registry" rider in whichever appropriation bill, I'll bet the BATFE at least requires FFLs to provide a count of how many forms or guns they process, or perhaps this info is collected during inspections. Maybe an FFL can chime in.

From what my favored FFL tells me, they will generally randomly produce five to ten serial numbers acquired from manufacturers or wholesalers as the case may be and demand that he account for them. My guess is that that BATFags probably have a pretty good idea, but it is gleaned at the distribution level, not retail or post-retail. Then again, maybe the FBI gives them a count for background checks.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I see the problem. This is a measure of REGISTERED guns. Since we are not required to and generally don't register guns (I understand that some local PDs will for insurance purposes, but then again, it has been decades since I have talked to anyone who actually did this), we necessarily will come in artificially low in the guns per capita measurements using registered guns as the criterion.

Some folks in Indiana could have 10X + in firearms having been handed down to them verses what they have ever even filled out a 4473 on. :whistle:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    ^This.

I suspect they are using some kind of count of 4473s as a proxy for "registered" for those states that don't have an actual gun registry, and yes it seriously undercounts those states.
    ^Not this.

They count 92,700 guns for 6.5 million people in Indiana??? With more guns than people in the US, that is laughable. Another way to look at it is 1 in 71 Hoosiers own a single gun. My neighborhood really throws off the curve.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    This time of year you always see the posts how Wisconsin and Pennsylvania field an army of deer hunters. WI around 600k deer hunters alone, yet didn't make the list.

Only 92k guns in Indiana? The good news is no one has good numbers on real gun ownership. You can sleep better knowing that fact.

A comparison of carry permits per state would be interesting.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I just did a little addition. They count 2,572,446 guns in 30 states. Even being generous and calling it 5 million guns in all 57 states, I'd say that CBS has undercounted by more then 300 million. :rolleyes:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I just did a little addition. They count 2,572,446 guns in 30 states. Even being generous and calling it 5 million guns in all 57 states, I'd say that CBS has undercounted by more then 300 million. :rolleyes:

:lmfao:

Take that, you damned gun-grabbing Kenyan!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Do you really think D.C. is #2? Really?
    Maryland at #11?
    Florida way down at #30? The state that led the concealed carry charge in 1987?
    I'm not buying it. Flawed system of measurement.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    FTA:
    For every 1,000 residents in Indiana, there are 14.1 guns. That's 92,700 registered firearms among 6,570,902 people.

Say what?

Hoosiers probably completed that many form 4473s on Black Friday alone. (Okay, so that's half of the 185K form 4473s actually completed nationwide on Black Friday; so more accurately, Hoosiers probably completed that many form 4473s in 2015.)

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Guys, they are counting Title II.

Per Eugene Volokh at The Volokh Conspiracy blog, CBS News did indeed use the NFA database. Unfortunately I can't put in a link to his post because the WaPo (which hosts VC) limits non-subscribers to 5 articles a month and I've already gone over my limit.

Wait until CBS News realizes that the numbers they used, as "horrific" as they are, are a small fraction of what's really out there. BU WHA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Per Eugene Volokh at The Volokh Conspiracy blog, CBS News did indeed use the NFA database. Unfortunately I can't put in a link to his post because the WaPo (which hosts VC) limits non-subscribers to 5 articles a month and I've already gone over my limit.

Wait until CBS News realizes that the numbers they used, as "horrific" as they are, are a small fraction of what's really out there. BU WHA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Yes. My sympathies go out to them.

Well

Maybe not so much.

Top Bottom