• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    WIBC was reporting the story this morning. According to IBC, the man did not realize he'd been shot.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    More info on this here. Wilbur man dies from gunshot | Reporter-Times / MD Times

WILBUR
    Jason Breisch died Monday after a bullet went through the wall of his home, striking him in the chest.
    Morgan County Chief Deputy Robert Downey said they believe the bullet came from the gun of a neighbor who was target shooting. He said a shot went though the wall of the home and struck Breisch, killing him.
    Breisch, 35, lived at 6598 Whispering Court.
    Downey said the investigation is continuing, but it appears at this time, the neighbor, whom he declined to identify, was shooting a .45 caliber handgun.
    A bullet from his handgun may have struck Breisch’s home. Investigators found a hole in the wall where the bullet came through. Downey said they also have the neighbor’s weapon and plan to do ballistic checks on it.
    According to preliminary reports, medical crews were called to Breisch’s home Monday morning on a report of a person having chest pains. After arriving at the scene, medical crews found Breisch had been shot. Breisch was transported to the Gregg Township Fire Station to meet a medical helicopter, but he died at the scene.
    Downey said the neighbor has been cooperating with investigators.The Morgan County Death Investigating Team has been called to a home in the 6500 block of Whispering Court to investigate the death of a resident.
    According to preliminary information, the Morgan County Sheriff’s Department received a call for medical assistance at the home around 11:30 a.m. today. The caller said the person was experiencing chest pains. When medical crews arrived, they found the person had suffered what appeared to be a gunshot wound.
    A medical helicopter was called to transport the person to an Indianapolis hospital, but the person died at the scene. Morgan County Sheriff Robert Garner said at this time, investigators are not sure what led to the incident.
    He said an autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of the person’s death. At this time, they are not releasing the name of the person who died or any other information about the incident until the investigation is complete.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    My prayers to both families, since it was undoubtedly unintentional.

I use 9 round bales of hay for my backstop, have no houses for 3 miles downrange, and it still makes me nervous with my high powers.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Just completed instructing a four hour block of instruction to local departments yesterday morning. I just got redundent about safety with the guys. I kept going over and over the reasons we check double check and check again. There by the grace of God could be any one of us.

I too shoot at my place. I use a sink hole on our place and shoot into a steep bank for a backstop but I am always watching. Prayers to the families involved.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    Unfortunately this is a lesson that many do not learn, or think it cant happen to them. Ive heard too many accidental shootings because a proper backstop was not prepared. Cant be too careful in preparing your "range". Prayers for the family.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    I noticed their already saying that the shooter is cooperating with the authorities... but that its illegal to discharge a firearm in that rural area.

Would be interesting to hear whether he was on his own property or what.

But as previously stated, definitely...Prayers go out to all parties involved.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    I think on the local Fox news last night, they said the guy had a proper range setup on his property, but were pretty sure he wasnt on it when this happened.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    More info on this here. Wilbur man dies from gunshot | Reporter-Times / MD Times

WILBUR
    Jason Breisch died Monday after a bullet went through the wall of his home, striking him in the chest.
    Morgan County Chief Deputy Robert Downey said they believe the bullet came from the gun of a neighbor who was target shooting. He said a shot went though the wall of the home and struck Breisch, killing him.
    Breisch, 35, lived at 6598 Whispering Court.
    Downey said the investigation is continuing, but it appears at this time, the neighbor, whom he declined to identify, was shooting a .45 caliber handgun.
    A bullet from his handgun may have struck Breisch’s home. Investigators found a hole in the wall where the bullet came through. Downey said they also have the neighbor’s weapon and plan to do ballistic checks on it.
    According to preliminary reports, medical crews were called to Breisch’s home Monday morning on a report of a person having chest pains. After arriving at the scene, medical crews found Breisch had been shot. Breisch was transported to the Gregg Township Fire Station to meet a medical helicopter, but he died at the scene.
    Downey said the neighbor has been cooperating with investigators.The Morgan County Death Investigating Team has been called to a home in the 6500 block of Whispering Court to investigate the death of a resident.
    According to preliminary information, the Morgan County Sheriff’s Department received a call for medical assistance at the home around 11:30 a.m. today. The caller said the person was experiencing chest pains. When medical crews arrived, they found the person had suffered what appeared to be a gunshot wound.
    A medical helicopter was called to transport the person to an Indianapolis hospital, but the person died at the scene. Morgan County Sheriff Robert Garner said at this time, investigators are not sure what led to the incident.
    He said an autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of the person’s death. At this time, they are not releasing the name of the person who died or any other information about the incident until the investigation is complete.

Where the heck is the editor for stories like this...:dunno:

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Update

Monrovia man charged with shooting, killing neighbor | Reporter-Times / MD Times

Monrovia man charged with shooting, killing neighbor

Charges of reckless homicide and criminal recklessness resulting in serious bodily injury have been filed against the man who fired the shot that killed Jason Breisch while Breisch was asleep in his home.
    Morgan County Superior Court I Judge G. Thomas Gray signed a warrant late Wednesday afternoon for the arrest of John Graf. The judge also signed a “special condition” request from Morgan County Prosecutor Steve Sonnega that “Graf refrain from firing firearms in Morgan County.”
    The reckless homicide charge is a class C felony, which, if convicted, could bring a jail sentence of 2 to 8 years in prison.
    Graf, 24, lives at 6364 North Kivett Road, which is within 1,000 feet of the victim’s home at 6598 Whispering Court.
    According to the probable cause affidavit filed by Morgan County Sheriff’s Department Detective Sergeant Dan Downing, during the late morning of March 9, Breisch was asleep in the bedroom of his home when he was struck by a .45 caliber bullet, allegedly fired by Graf.
    According to Breisch’s wife, she and her husband thought he was having a heart attack and called for an ambulance. After medical crews arrived, they discovered that Breisch had have what appeared to be a gunshot wound. Authorities were called to the home. Breisch was transported to the Gregg Township Fire Station to meet a medical helicopter, but he died of his wound. Breisch was struck in the upper left chest area directly under his armpit Downing said. He said the wound was “approximately the size of a nickel” and there was not much bleeding.
    Downing said investigators found a dime size hole in exterior of Breisch’s home.
    He said investigators were told that an active shooting range was at a house off of Kivett Road. That house was identified as Graf’s home.
    Investigators went to the home and found a white male, identified as John Graf there. Graf admitted to investigators he had been test shooting a .45 caliber weapon. He said that weapon belonged to a Plainfield police officer who said it had been malfunctioning. Graf, who is a licensed gun smith, said he was trying to repair the weapon. Graf said he had replaced some parts on the weapon and was “test firing” it by shooting into the ground behind his residence.
    Graf said he was not shooting at anything like a target or tree, but was just firing the weapon into the ground.
    Graf said he had numerous weapons in his home, which was confirmed by investigators.
    Graf went to the sheriff’s department where he gave Downing a statement. Downing said Graf described the actions he took while test firing the weapon. He said at one point, the weapon “double fired” but at all times, the weapon was pointed in the ground. Graf said he fires 14 rounds at a time during his test of weapons.
    Graf stated several times that he felt it was not his weapon that killed Breisch.
    Downing said the weapon Graf was shooting was taken into evidence.
    During an autopsy completed at the Marion County Coroner’s Office, a .45 caliber bullet was recovered from Breisch’s body. The forensic pathologist said the bullet passed thought Breisch’s spleen, pancreas, and diaphragm before lodging in the spinal cord. Downing said the Indiana State Police Laboratory was able to determine the bullet that killed Breisch came from the weapon fire by Graf.
    Downing said surveying was done to determine the distance from Breisch’s bed to where Graf was shooting. That distance was recorded at 311 yards. Breisch’s home is about two feet above the area from which Graf was shooting .
    Downing said he was told by family members that Graf has retained an attorney.
    When Graf is booked into jail, he will have to post a $5,000 property or surety bond and $600 cash for his release.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I'm too lazy to do the math. Assuming Graf is telling the truth about where he was shooting (and without more info on the area, I don't see how he might not be), is this physically possible?
    Downing said surveying was done to determine the distance from Breisch’s bed to where Graf was shooting. That distance was recorded at 311 yards. Breisch’s home is about two feet above the area from which Graf was shooting.

This is one of those sad situations where you feel bad for both the family who lost someone so unexpectedly, but also for the "suspect" because it's so unlikely to have something like that happen.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I am not going to do the math,

But even if the guy was trying to shoot his neighbor
    300+ yards with a rifle takes some practice
    and to do it with a 45cal pistol
    through a house wall
    directly into his upper cavity.

Freak accident, but I do have to keep in mind we are responsible for every round down the tube.

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    sucks for the guy who got shot, but answer me this, how can a 45 retain enough energy after bouncing off the ground, going 311 yards, and going through a wall, to rip almost entirely through his body?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    "There is a lawyer attached to every bullet that leaves your gun"

Very true phrase...and it applies to the controlled range situation as well as stepping off your back porch.

At the very worst, I think they'll hook the guy (24 years old...said an article in today's Star) for negligent homocide. Don't know what a "best case" scenario would be for the guy who pulled the trigger.

I, too, sincerely doubt that the projectile bounced off the ground and then still had enough energy to penetrate a home and still have enough guts to ultimately cause the death of the neighbor. I CAN see it if he were taking a pot shot at a squirrel or something and the projectile travel was more "ballistic" in nature. But I'm FAR from being an expert.

Whatever the scenario, the guy who pulled the trigger needs punished, somehow, for his negligence.

-J-

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Know your target and what is beyond.

how can a 45 retain enough energy after bouncing off the ground, going 311 yards, and going through a wall, to rip almost entirely through his body?

The Box O' Truth #2 - The Box Speaks Again - Page 1

We don't really know whether the round bounced off the ground... but depending on the angle on which it bounced, there may not have been much energy lost.

I was out and about one day and bounced a 12GA slug off the ground (firing almost parallel to the ground 75 yards to the target). 15 yards behind the target the slug broke a tree branch. The tree branch was about 10 feet above the target.

A round that bounces can do very unpredictable things.

.45 slugs are very good penetrators.

Thoughts and prayers for the families.

Top Bottom