Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    My AR SBR Build-in-Progress

35i9gyd.jpg

by esrice

Some background-

I've been wanting to build an SBR since NFA Day 2008. I started my own journey into the world of EBRs back in March 2009. Soon thereafter I created my first Build-in-Progress thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_g...-progress.html

With this thread I'm hoping to again document my build, along with a full price breakdown, in an effort to give those interested in doing the same thing an idea of what it takes, along with how much it really costs.

Purpose-

The purpose of this SBR will mostly be one of "fun" and education, with a possible later purpose of self/home defense, depending on its function and reliability. I'm wanting a rifle that is compact, lightweight, and easily maneuverable. It must also be able to later accept a suppressor.

Wants/Needs-

• Barrel length greater than 10", shorter than 12"
    • 5.56 caliber
    • Flat-top upper receiver
    • Quality lower with quality lower parts kit
    • Adjustable stock
    • Aimpoint optic
    • Full-length lightweight 1-piece free-floating rail system
    • Flip-up iron sights
    Starting point-

The base for any AR is the lower receiver. After recently reviewing the value-priced M4 from Spike's Tactical, I'm drinking the :koolaid: pretty heavy. As of this writing I've decided that the lower, along with many other parts, will be from Spike's Tactical. In fact, I've even considered doing the entire rifle with Spike's parts.

Therefore, my lower will be a Spike's Tactical ST lower with the spider logo and pictogram selector markings. I'll be picking this up from a fellow INGOer in a couple of weeks (pics when it arrives).

Build Order (rough)-

1. Lower
    2. SBR engraving
    3. Tax stamp
    4. Lower parts kit
    5. Stock/buffer parts
    6. Custom built upper from Spike's, BCM, etc.
    7. Rail/irons/optic/VFG/sling/etc.
    Build ideas-

I'm always on the prowl for build ideas. I recently found some inspiration in the Spike's industry forum on ARFCOM.

right-side-02.jpg

upper-on-black-01.jpg

right-on-white-01.jpg

rifleongreen01.jpg

Configuration ideas-

10" barrel? 10.5"? 11"? 11.5"? Who knows?! I've heard arguments for and against every increment. I want it as short as possible, but I don't want to sacrifice reliability or durability.

Is the 'norm' for SBRs still a 1:7" twist? What's up with the 1:8 that I've seen over at BravoCompany?

I'll have to do my homework on barrels for this build. There are many to choose from. I don't want to pay through the nose, but I also don't want a short inaccurate rifle.

Parts ideas-

I'm not looking to do anything "ground breaking" or "never seen before" with this build. I'll be mostly sticking with known parts with known history. So in that regard, it may be kinda boring.

Another area that Spike's has recently impressed me is in their lower parts kits. After perusing their website, I think I've decided to take advantage of their "enhanced" kit, which includes such upgrades as an Ergo grip, ambi safety, billet trigger guard, single-stage Battle Trigger, and KNS anti-rotation pins.

As for a stock, I'm a huge Magpul CTR fan-- especially since I'm trying to keep this gun light. Part of me wants to try something different, while another part says "stick with what works". If I do go CTR I might add the Enhanced Buttpad. Probably Spike's for the buffer, tube, etc.

Optic will most definitely be an Aimpoint Micro in a LaRue mount. Unless something else more interesting comes along.

The rail system will be one thing that will take some researching. There are a lot of options these days. Spike's has their new BAR rail (as seen above), and is coming out with a slimmer version called the SAR, but I hear its kinda pricey. I just know I want something that runs to the end of the barrel, where the threads start, leaving the flash hider poking out. How much the barrel sticks out will also depend on what type of suppressor I want to eventually run. Decisions, decisions.

I might also take this opportunity to try out an entirely new sling system. Which one? Who knows. . . .

Iron sights will mostly likely be from Troy.

Part of me has always like the look of the Noveske piggy break tucked just inside an extended rail. But another part of me says just go with a flash hider or compensator that can accept a QD suppressor. Hmm...

The Waiting Game-

So as you can see I've got a lot to think on and research. Time is one thing I do have, as the $$ will roll in slowly as this build shapes up. Maybe tax time will help speed things up a bit. Maybe.

Stay tuned, as I'll update this thread periodically as I accumulate more parts, or as I get new and better ideas. I'll be very interested to see what the final build looks like, as opposed to what I've got planned above. :dunno:

Feel free to give any thoughts, opinions, suggestions that you think could help me along the way!

:ingo:

Last edited:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I haven't received it yet, however I am already in love with my upper/lower from Mega. Only down side is the pickiness in compatibility. I get your affinity to spike though.

Please explain the SBR craze, I've never understood it. I've always had the impression that you had to have a suit and shoulder single point to have one or a trench coat :D

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Bout freaking time you started this.....I just bought a barrel off of a machinist for POF that is making barrels after hours....haven't shot it yet, but it impresses me in my hands. It was $215 shipped for an air gauged Douglas blank. Fluted, threaded, and coated. Let me find the link.....

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Can tell you some bullet drops from my 10" bushy with 55gr bullets. Running an ACOG TA01 zeroed @ 50/200 yards. My J-point is zeroed @ 20 yards (love that sight too) plan to get another for my Mark II also! Stay 10" and above for silencer warranties if you plan to go that route.

25 yards -1.25"
    50 yards (about dead on)
    75 yards 1.25"
    100 yards 1.75"
    125 yards hair under 2"
    150 yards 1.75"
    175 yards 1.25"
    200 yards about dead on
    250 yards - 4"

I haven't put it on paper past 250, but it is dropping pretty good past that I would think. Chrono-ed some of my reloads from 10" 16" and 20" but don't know where I wrote that data at. I think it was about 150-200 fps slower from a 10" as to a 16" iirc...

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    along with a full price breakdown, in an effort to give those interested in doing the same thing an idea of what it takes, along with how much it really costs.

Feel free to give any thoughts, opinions, suggestions

Here's one... STOP DOING THE ****ING MATH!! :rofl:

Now, in all seriousness... my replies in red.

Configuration ideas-

10" barrel? 10.5"? 11"? 11.5"? Who knows?! I've heard arguments for and against every increment.

11.5". It's short enough to be worth your $200 but still provides enough velocity for M193 type ammo to fragment out to ~50 meters or so, IIRC. It also seems that the 11.5" guns generally run more reliably with a wider variety of buffer weights and ammo types than the 10.5" and shorter guns. You will also get less wear and tear on the gun's internal components, and on any suppressor you put on it in the future. Had I to do mine over again, I'd just go with an 11.5" BCM upper and call it a day.

Is the 'norm' for SBRs still a 1:7" twist? What's up with the 1:8 that I've seen over at BravoCompany?

SBR barrels can commonly be had in 1:7, 1:8, or 1:9 twist rates. Get the one that best matches the ammo types you expect to shoot most frequently.

The rail system will be one thing that will take some researching. There are a lot of options these days. Spike's has their new BAR rail (as seen above), and is coming out with a slimmer version called the SAR, but I hear its kinda pricey.

I was really hot about these when they first released the CAD drawings last year. Now that they are (finally) available, I'm underwhelmed. Go with something proven like a DD, LaRue, Troy or Samson.

I just know I want something that runs to the end of the barrel, where the threads start, leaving the flash hider poking out.

Meh. Even though that's how my 9mm SBR is set up, I'm not really a fan of that particular configuration. Especially when it's a LONG rail on a relatively long SBR barrel (i.e. a 12" rail on a 12.5" barrel like the pics you posted from ARF).

Part of me has always like the look of the Noveske piggy break tucked just inside an extended rail.

That look is SO 2007! :rolleyes: Besides which, the Noveske brakes are heavy, expensive, and not all that effective as a flash hider. Better options exist.

But another part of me says just go with a flash hider or compensator that can accept a QD suppressor. Hmm...

"QD suppressor" is a misnomer. Many companies have come to refer to them (correctly) as "fast attach". Because after you've put even a limited number of rounds through the system, the can will be too hot and the mount too gunked up to make quick detaching problematic.

My :twocents:

Feel free to PM or call me if you want to discuss any aspects of this build in further detail.

Last edited:

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Ya don't do the math, here is my 1st sbr way back in the back, fresh outta the army and with my mom, bless her heart she even pretended to care!:):
    momandar15.jpg

I Like Firearms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    I held CWOOD's SBR last weekend.. It was impressive but yet short. Not super heavy but just right...

Ummm hmmm this sounds awkward.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I will be following this closely!!!

I have an extra Spike's lower still laying around I picked up from SSNFA.

Troy BUIS of course... CWOOD are you paying attention??

I guess 11.5" upper now.

I will be going with the Spike's quad rail to match my other 2 EBRs (wish I could get a Spike's for my LP308AP4).

Tax time will be when I send off for my stamp.

Glad to see somebody else doing a SBR buildup.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I will be following this closely!!!

I have an extra Spike's lower still laying around I picked up from SSNFA.

Troy BUIS of course... CWOOD are you paying attention??

I guess 11.5" upper now.

I will be going with the Spike's quad rail to match my other 2 EBRs (wish I could get a Spike's for my LP308AP4).

Tax time will be when I send off for my stamp.

Glad to see somebody else doing a SBR buildup.

I have a set or two instock for ya! ;)

How do you like the Troy shorty forward? how the weight? I'm stuck between them and tango down shorty for my SBR

I don't think the weight is bad at all for what it is. It mounts solid and the knurling makes sure your hand does not slip off even wet with gloves on.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I'm glad you started this thread, I am going to start 2 at the same time, a 9mm and a 5.56. I have had the paper work sitting on my desk for a few days.

I bought a Spike's Jolly Roger receiver just for a 5.56 SBR build, and I have had a RRA 9mm receiver for a while now. I like everyone's idea to stick around the 11.5" mark with the 5.56, but I am going to make my 9mm SBR real short. I would like to set my 9mm SBR up for a can right away to go along with a couple 9mm pistols, but the 5.56 will have to wait a bit.

Anyway, can't wait to follow your progress and watch this thread for tips and ideas. :)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Mark, thanks for your reply. You know I hold your recommendations in high regard.

shooter521 said:

Well, as you are someone who has a 10.5" SBR, I appreciate your comments. That pretty much tips my scales in favor of the 11.5". So that's what I'll plan for from here out.

shooter521 said:
    SBR barrels can commonly be had in 1:7, 1:8, or 1:9 twist rates.

Any idea as to why the 1:8 recently showed up on the scene? I'm curious what it does that 1:7 or 1:9 can't do. :dunno:

shooter521 said:
    I was really hot about these when they first released the CAD drawings last year. Now that they are (finally) available, I'm underwhelmed. Go with something proven like a DD, LaRue, Troy or Samson.

I too am underwhelmed with the BAR-- its so round and YHM-ish. I won't have this build complete before the SAR comes out, so I'll have that to look into.

shooter521 said:
    That look is SO 2007! :rolleyes:

I know-- I think that's when I first liked it. :D But you're right, I should probably just suck it up and use a better functioning FH/comp and add a suppressor.

shooter521 said:
    "QD suppressor" is a misnomer.

Fast-attach-- got it. :yesway:

Top Bottom