• ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Well, as you are someone who has a 10.5" SBR, I appreciate your comments. That pretty much tips my scales in favor of the 11.5". So that's what I'll plan for from here out.

BOOOOO!!!! 10.5" FTW!!!!! :rockwoot:

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

All it took to get mine running like a top was 5 seconds with a drill. My thinking is you can always put an adjustable gas tube or gas block on the thing if you open it up too large...:dunno:
    Or you can do it like I did and nail it on the first attempt:cool:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I pretty much agree with what Mark said.

But, to add a little tidbit.

If you plan on putting a suppressor on it eventually, you will need to use a forearm that is 1"-1.5" shorter than the barrel length to accomodate certain fast attachment FH and suppressors. (ex: 11.5" barrel=10" or shorter forearm) This is the case for almost all the highend $$ forearms, LaRue-DD-Knight-Troy. However, if you use a YHM or the new Samson forearm that is due out, those forearms offer bigger ID that will "swallow" the suppressor. LaRue also makes a "gooseneck" forearm that has a longer top rail that will extend further forward over the muzzle if desired.

If you have no plans to put a suppressor on this gun for quite a while, I would do the following.

Go to the BCM website and order a 11.5" upper with the 11" forearm of your choice and price range. Done.

Or if plans to suppress are a "definite" thing down the road.

Go to the BCM website and order a 11.5" upper with the 10" forearm of your choice and price range. Done.

Accessorize accordingly.

I also like this config if you consider a 12.5" upper.
    BCM Standard 12.5" Upper Receiver Group w/ VTAC TRX 11" Handguard

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I had photoshopped up an SBR configuration using that rail (the Troy version, actually) once, but I'm still not sold on it. Would be nice to see one in-person.

I owned the VTAC rail for like a minute. Its attachment method does not inspire confidence with regard to durability, and the accessory rail sections are way too high-profile. The Troy version is somewhat better in that its rail sections are lower profile and match the contour of the tube, but the attachment method is still problematic. On the up side, it doubles as a cheese grater. :):

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Good luck on your build, you cannot go wrong with spikes. I did an sbr last year, since then 4 of my friends have there forms out for their own. If i were to only have 1 ar, it would definately be an sbr.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Good luck Evan! I'm going to have to keep an eye on this thread. I'm planning on building an SBR in the future. Was hoping to start on it this winter, but that doesn't look like its going to be the case.

Ol' Wiley

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Indiucky (Clark Co.)
    I'll definitely be watching this thread. It's like you read my mind on about 90% of this build.
    Look forward to hearing the good advice and applying it to my sbr build... and obviously seeing your final masterpiece, Evan.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom