• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Today I needed to get something Notarized so I stopped by the Fifth Third Bank in the Speedway Shopping Center. As I was walking in the door I noticed a "Carrying Firearms Prohibited" sign with ORC 2923.1212 written at the bottom. I know Speedway has some carrying Ordinances (no CC and no under 21 carry) but I didn't remember seeing one about a bank. I've tried to look up the Codes but the Code site for Speedway is not loading right now. But anyway, I googled "2923.1212" and it appears to be an OHIO STATE LAW. I'll have to stop back by later and take a picture of it. Anyway, just wanted to post this because I thought it was pretty funny that they put an OHIO sticker on a door at a bank in Indiana.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Since when are banks "no carry" zones. I think that it must be, at worst, a local business's preference and the worst that can happen for breaking the rule is to be asked to leave.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Today I needed to get something Notarized so I stopped by the Fifth Third Bank in the Speedway Shopping Center. As I was walking in the door I noticed a "Carrying Firearms Prohibited" sign with ORC 2923.1212 written at the bottom. I know Speedway has some carrying Ordinances (no CC and no under 21 carry) but I didn't remember seeing one about a bank. I've tried to look up the Codes but the Code site for Speedway is not loading right now. But anyway, I googled "2923.1212" and it appears to be an OHIO STATE LAW. I'll have to stop back by later and take a picture of it. Anyway, just wanted to post this because I thought it was pretty funny that they put an OHIO sticker on a door at a bank in Indiana.

5/3rd is out of ohio.. Ohio law does not apply in Indiana.. except maybe a person from Ohio with ohio permit....

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    It could be that the bank has a preference for disarmed customers, and the only sticker in their little corporate order guide happens to reference an Ohio law. Since 5/3 is headquartered in Cincinnati it probably got loaded to the official company catalog because some home office intern who didn't know better read it on some other bank on the way in to work.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    Banks are no carry zones

Quote IC to show us where banks are no carry zones. As for signage, there is no IC giving a sign the rule of law, so I dont care if they have the entire front if their building stenciled to read carrying is not allowed, it doesnt matter. You can be asked to leave, but you have broken no law just by carrying into a bank.

INGunGuy

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Banks are no carry zones
    There is no Indiana law against carrying a firearm into a bank - and Speedway can only regulate the possession of firearms in municipally-owned property - not anywhere else. Indiana state law preempts local regulation of firearms with two exceptions - municipally-owned property and using local zoning laws to prohibit the sale of guns within 200 feet of a school - unless the gun store was there prior to April 1, 1994. See Ind. Code 35-47-11-2.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Banks are no carry zones

I carry in banks all the time, have been doing it for roughly 20 years, I've never seen a NO GUN sign on any bank branch I've ever been to. I carried into the bank today, they have a sign on the door that says NO SUNGLASSES, NO HATS, NO HOODS but nothing about guns. My wife used to be a VP/Commercial Banker at 5/3rd and I never saw a sign on the door, but I admit its been a couple years since I've been into a 5/3rd branch.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I carry in banks all the time, have been doing it for roughly 20 years, I've never seen a NO GUN sign on any bank branch I've ever been to. I carried into the bank today, they have a sign on the door that says NO SUNGLASSES, NO HATS, NO HOODS but nothing about guns. My wife used to be a VP/Commercial Banker at 5/3rd and I never saw a sign on the door, but I admit its been a couple years since I've been into a 5/3rd branch.
    That No Sunglasses, No Hats, No Hoods sign cracks me up. I'm guessing this was M&I Bank?

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    they have a sign on the door that says NO SUNGLASSES, NO HATS, NO HOODS but nothing about guns.

Man I hope it is never cold and sunny out where that bank is because that is my normal dress.

A zip up hoodie when it is cool out or under my normal jacket if it is really cold out, and my eyes are light sensitive so I always have a pair of shades with me. Wonder if I should swith to OC instead of CC maybe they will see it and realize I am one of the good guys. :)

Hmmm was getting ready to take the dog out when I started this post, took her out and happened to look in the hallway mirror. Guess I do look kinda like the unibomber with the hood and shades, maybe if I shave?!?!:dunno:

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    so I dont care if they have the entire front if their building stenciled to read carrying is not allowed
    You should swing by a Jared's jewelry store sometime. Their "NO GUNS" sign is so big, and wordy, that you can see it from 50+ yards away.

I'll see if I can find a picture of it.

dailylc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Evansville
    Another good reason to NOT bank at 5/3rd. I open carry at my bank sometimes and never even had a problem with the officer in the lobby. I guess it helps that they all know me by name.

James

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    This seems awfully related to the most recent "is it legal" question. So I guess the question goes here too, could 5/3 call the cops and have you arrested if you came in carrying?

Top Bottom