• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I just had my first MWAG contact, in fact my first contact with LEO in Monroe County concerning my 2nd Amendment rights.

I am off work today, and went to one of our two local Big-Box Home Improvement stores, wandered around for about 30 minutes picked up a few things and paid... during this whole time I was pseudo-concealed, no problems with anyone, or anything. I also know for a fact that this store does not care if you carry, as long as you are legal.
    From there I went to the Speedway convenience store on West 3rd and South Curry (store #6009). While in the store I was mostly open carrying... meaning my shirt had ridden up and bunched on the grip while I was driving... instead of messing with trying to re-conceal, I just tucked my shirt under the grip, carrying OC. edit: I also know that Speedway stores are neutral, at least in my area, concerning carrying.

I was standing in line to pay for my purchase when I notice a Monroe County Sheriff vehicle pull in the lot. Thinking nothing of it, as I'd shopped hundreds of times before in that and a few other of the Speedway stores close to me I continued to stand in line. When the Officer (who I later found out is R. Lutz) entered I smiled, nodded my head and said hello. I noticed him glancing in my direction as I waited in line.

Upon exiting the store, I paused at the trash can and deposited my receipt, and stepped out of the way of a woman going to her van. At that point I was turning to head to my car when out of the corner of my eye I see the officer exit the store and turn toward me, away from his cruiser. this is when I knew I was going to have contact. Officer Lutz then said "Excuse me sir", I turned and said "Yes sir?" He then asked "Why are you carrying that gun?" I stated that it was my constitutional right, and that I was licensed. He then proceeds to inform me that I was to carry concealed. At this point I stated that I am sorry but that is incorrect, the state of Indiana is silent on method of carry. He then told me I was supposed to carry concealed. I then again politely stated that it is not a requirement of my License to Carry a Handgun; I then removed my license and stated that no where on the license does it state concealed.

He then stared at me without saying a word for about 30 seconds, I returned his stare... he then asked "So you like carrying out in the open and terrifying people?" I stated no, I was simply making a purchase in the store, and minding my own business, no one seemed upset, worried, or even seemed to notice my handgun. He then continued on to ask if I knew how many calls he gets to Walmart from terrified people because there is a man with a gun? I stated no sir I did not, and that I was sorry that so many people are terrified by a citizen legally exercising their rights.

He then proceeds to tell me that they, (LEOs) are not allowed to openly carry their firearms while off-duty (Can't remember if he said allowed or legally allowed, either way I know that there is no law to this effect) He became agitated at that point and told me "Don't tell me what is true or not, I'm telling you!" I then apologized that he was unable to openly carry while off-duty, but that the State is silent on method of carry of licensed individuals. He then (sort of, more of a demand, but...) asked to see my permit, and drivers license. Now I know that I do not have to furnish any of this information, but as this exchange had already taken over 10 minutes and I have things to get done today, and I knew that this post, and my call to the Monroe County Sheriffs office would take well over an hour to deal with, I corrected him by saying I do not have a permit, I have a license, and proceeded to hand them to him.

He then runs my license and DL; this takes another 5 minutes. During this time is when I have my V8 moment and begin recording the rest of the interaction. Once the results were returned, the turns to me and hands my license and ID back to him. This is when I finally got to see his name tag. He states [STRIKE]that this isn't over, and[/STRIKE]

EDIT: Upon reviewing my recording either A) He did not state"this isn't over, or B) I inferred that was what he meant. either way, I apologize to everyone here for the mis-quote; I also apologize to Officer Lutz, as I did not intend to mis-quote him. Also upon further reflection it is likely that I have jumbled the chain of events; rest assured it all happened, other than my above mentioned mis quote.

he'll be in contact. I ask him for his Badge number and he just turns and begins to walk away, I then loudly ask for his badge number, politely of course, and he continues to walk away and re-enters the store.

I have already contacted the Sheriffs department and been told that there is a form that I can come in and fill out to file an official complaint. Which, rest assured, I will be doing as soon as I get my bathroom walls primed!

I have nothing but respect for our LEOs as a whole, but this encounter has left a very, very bad taste in my mouth! Normally I do about 50-50 OC/CC, after this, I am just annoyed enough to begin to OC 95% of the time!

Last edited:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Wow.. That dipstick is the kind that gives everyone else a bad name. Keep at it, and let us know what the department says.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    He then continued on to ask if I knew how many calls he gets to Walmart from terrified people because there is a man with a gun?

Umm, 1 :dunno:

He ... asked to see my permit, and drivers license. Now I know that I do not have to furnish any of this information...
    I believe you're wrong. If asked you are required to furnish you license. Once checked, then all interaction is to cease.

I corrected him by saying I do not have a permit, I have a license, and proceeded to hand them to him.
    Good job! :yesway:
    Normally, I just play along, but this guy already hates you so...

I have already contacted the Sheriffs department and been told that there is a form that I can come in and fill out to file an official complaint. Which, rest assured, I will be doing as soon as I get my bathroom walls primed!
    Now waiting to hear their response. Rep inbound.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Good post but you left out some very important information.
    I'm kind-of offended that you kept us hanging here for so long. I mean really, why do people post on here and expect honest and complete responses without posting an actual and complete post, themselves!!!!!! :xmad:

I know you know what I'm talking about.
    What color are you painting the bathroom? :)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    LEOs can't OC in Bloomington? Hmmm, I may have to follow up on that portion of the story. And OP you did right. I personally think you need to put boots to the pavement, and go directly to the PD to address this.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    OMG!!!

MWAR!!!

Man with a religion! He's in that church over there! He's talking about God like he was allowed to or something! It's terrifying! Make the bad man stop!!

Same thing, both protected by the Bill of Rights.

How many times do they get calls on someone preaching on the side of the highway?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Well done. :yesway:

Fill out the complaint form. He should be required to answer for his incorrect attempt to hassle you.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    "Am I being detained? Am I under arrest?" He wasn't interested in having a conversation, he was interested in lecturing you. If he thinks you're committing a crime, he should either arrest you or mind his own business. "This isn't over." WTF is that all about? Is that a threat?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    "Am I being detained? Am I under arrest?" He wasn't interested in having a conversation, he was interested in lecturing you. If he thinks you're committing a crime, he should either arrest you or mind his own business. "This isn't over." WTF is that all about? Is that a threat?
    I hope and pray the OP got this on tape when it finally dawned on him to start recording.

SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    Wow. I agree with Kutnupe14... I would go directly to the PD. Here you are, minding your own business, doing what is your constitutional right to carry (in IN, openly) and yet you have to be humiliated in front of a convenience store that you frequent. He treated you like a criminal and had to run your license? I would be livid. Good luck with whatever action you decide to take. I will be waiting for an update. Congrats on staying level headed.

SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    I hope and pray the OP got this on tape when it finally dawned on him to start recording.

Oh, forgot to mention... I am not 100% sure on the laws regarding secretly recording a LEO, but I have read stories of people who have done this and been arrested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK3u-C__4T8

I know this is Maryland, but just thought I would warn you just in case. Does anyone know if this law exists in Indiana (about illegal wiretapping)?

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I guess it was just a matter of time before this kind of thing made it's way to Bloomington.
    I have semi-concealed carried in that particular store/area quite often, but was never accosted about it. I guess it was just your lucky day? :dunno:
    Seriously, though, it sounds like you handled it quite well.
    I can't help but wonder what the "This isn't over." deal is all about? Maybe when he comes to the house, he wants you to buy him a beer and teach him the carry laws? :): ....okay, maybe not!!

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Hey Kutnupe14. Are LEO's required to provide their info, name badge # etc. to a person they've stopped if that person requests it?

Top Bottom