• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    A long time back, I had a thread going(can't remember which one) in which a common theme amongst the replies was "Just admit that you aren't in high school anymore and that you need a bigger pant size" in regards to comfort when carrying. I never really replied to those comments because that didn't fit me; I knew that I wasn't in high school anymore(though I'm still only 22) but, looking back, they were right about needing bigger pants.

Every big guy I've ever known wore his pants around his hips instead of at his natural waist, so I've always considered it normal. I've never been able to tell where most skinny guys wear their pants because their hips and waist are usually so close in size that I couldn't see a difference. After years of doing it "wrong," and hurting every day when my pants/belt/wrinkles in my shirt cut into me, I decided to get pants that fit my actual waist. I jumped from a size 44 to size 52(it takes a lot for me to admit that in public) and ordered a new SOE belt. When it gets here, I'll be ready to experiment with some new methods of carrying my gear.

Now to the meat of my post. I want to try appendix carry but I'm not sure if it will work since I'm round in the front instead of flat like many of you lucky folks. Does anyone on here who is "tactically padded" carry this way? Why or why not? If so, how do you do it and how does it work out for you? If you do, could you post some pictures so that I can get a few ideas on how to make it work?

Any help is appreciated.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    A long time back, I had a thread going(can't remember which one) in which a common theme amongst the replies was "Just admit that you aren't in high school anymore and that you need a bigger pant size" in regards to comfort when carrying. I never really replied to those comments because that didn't fit me; I knew that I wasn't in high school anymore(though I'm still only 22) but, looking back, they were right about needing bigger pants.

Every big guy I've ever known wore his pants around his hips instead of at his natural waist, so I've always considered it normal. I've never been able to tell where most skinny guys wear their pants because their hips and waist are usually so close in size that I couldn't see a difference. After years of doing it "wrong," and hurting every day when my pants/belt/wrinkles in my shirt cut into me, I decided to get pants that fit my actual waist. I jumped from a size 44 to size 52(it takes a lot for me to admit that in public) and ordered a new SOE belt. When it gets here, I'll be ready to experiment with some new methods of carrying my gear.

Now to the meat of my post. I want to try appendix carry but I'm not sure if it will work since I'm round in the front instead of flat like many of you lucky folks. Does anyone on here who is "tactically padded" carry this way? Why or why not? If so, how do you do it and how does it work out for you? If you do, could you post some pictures so that I can get a few ideas on how to make it work?

Any help is appreciated.

I feel your pain.. I probably need a bigger size then I have since I wear mine at my hips.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    OP - A few things...

1st - As a "fellow round belly", I understand your frustration and how much it took to admit the change. Proud of you for sharing!

2nd - I found that trying to wear an AIWB @ the 11 - 1 area really allows things to print BADLY. I do use a rig typically suggested as an AIWB, but carry @ the 330. HERE IS MY RIG
    I have the spare mag carrier attachment for if I'd need to do a strong side only reload, but also carry a spare mag on my support side for a standard reload.

3rd - Sounds like you already understand that quality support gear (holster, belt, mag carriers) make a difference. Good deal! You're that much further ahead of the game!

Last edited:

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I carry AIWB and am also a round belly. I find it the most comfortable and concealable way to carry...with the right holster. I also do not wear my pants on my actual waist as you referenced. I find holsters that keep the grip low along the belt line are the most comfortable and concealable. I have several options but the ones I carry with the most are cheap Galco holsters, like the sto-and-go (I think that's the name). It is soft sided but with a reinforced opening to allow for one handed reholstering. I have one of these for a CM9 and a similar one for a g23. I can wear both all day without being uncomfortable, unless I have the glock on while driving more than 4 hours straight. I carry just off midline too, so more like 1230 than 1, I've never had a problem with printing even with just a t-shirt.

These holsters keep the grip low, so getting a good grip isn't as easy as some other holsters. Although I have never had a problem getting a grip. You just have to bring your fingers from under the gun and your fingers naturally move the grip up making room to get a good grip. Typically these are like $25-30 at your LGS.

There are also ways to make kydex more comfortable even with your belly pushing the holster into your waist. Dr scholls gel heel inserts velcroed to the holster provide nice padding.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    Mom buying me pants for Christmas... "Are you really that fat?" No mom, I need to carry my gun in my pants.

I've had a gut that sticks out over my waistband since I was 10 years old. I've dabbled with AIWB but it's just not for me. I'd like to claim there's too much "gun" in front but it's really just my fat gut. I've carried IWB at 3:30-4:00 for the last few years and it's to the point now I don't even really notice it. Customers at the store I work in don't notice either. For me, there's a place between my strong side jelly roll and my buttocks where my compact 1911 fits pretty naturally.

I'm of the opinion that AIWB is only for certain body types. If you're built for comfort (and not speed) it's probably just not for you. Though there's always that exception to the rule. Try it and let us know. Maybe I've just been doing it wrong.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

Any help is appreciated.
    Chezuki is the one you want to talk to. I'm sure he'll be along shortly.

:+1: He's a big proponent of it and has talked about this before...

Hurry up, Chez!

Sorry I'm late. :)

Congrats on buying properly sized pants! It will truly change your life. I went from a 44 to 58 (now down to 50) when I made that decision. With my pants and belt below my gut, sitting for long periods could get downright painfull as the belt would pinch and dig into me.

With the wardrobe change came the ability to AIWB carry (NOT possible with my previous arrangement). I've found that all IWB methods of carry are actually more comfortable with the gun up higher since it doesn't interfere with range of hip motion.

My fat ass carrying AIWB:

Fun fact, CZ-75's fit very well in M&P holsters.

What are you considering carrying AIWB? I find full size guns actually carry better than compacts in this position because there is more gun below the belt line. Smaller guns feel like they might pop out holster and all when I bend over.

If you happen to carry an M&P, you're welcome to try out my spare holster to see what you think.

Last edited:

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sorry I'm late. :)

Congrats on buying properly sized pants! It will truly change your life. I went from a 44 to 58 (now down to 50) when I made that decision. With my pants and belt below my gut, sitting for long periods could get downright painfull as the belt would pinch and dig into me.

With the wardrobe change came the ability to AIWB carry (NOT possible with my previous arrangement). I've found that all IWB methods of carry are actually more comfortable with the gun up higher since it doesn't interfere with range of hip motion.

My fat ass carrying AIWB:

Fun fact, CZ-75's fit very well in M&P holsters.

What are you considering carrying AIWB? I find full size guns actually carry better than compacts in this position because there is more gun below the belt line. Smaller guns feel like they might pop out holster and all when I bend over.

If you happen to carry an M&P, you're welcome to try out my spare holster to see what you think.

I appreciate the offer but I don't currently own an M&P, although one in .45 is on my list.

I'll most likely start with trying to carry my G30s there since the G21 with a TLR1s would be a lot of gun to shove in there.

I noticed from the pictures that your pants look to be riding lower, like the way I wear my current jeans. Mine will be "over the hump," closer to my belly button.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mom buying me pants for Christmas... "Are you really that fat?" No mom, I need to carry my gun in my pants.

I've had a gut that sticks out over my waistband since I was 10 years old. I've dabbled with AIWB but it's just not for me. I'd like to claim there's too much "gun" in front but it's really just my fat gut. I've carried IWB at 3:30-4:00 for the last few years and it's to the point now I don't even really notice it. Customers at the store I work in don't notice either. For me, there's a place between my strong side jelly roll and my buttocks where my compact 1911 fits pretty naturally.

I'm of the opinion that AIWB is only for certain body types. If you're built for comfort (and not speed) it's probably just not for you. Though there's always that exception to the rule. Try it and let us know. Maybe I've just been doing it wrong.

IWB is comfortable for me now, I can't imagine it'll be worse with my new jeans.

I'd like to be an exception to the rule though.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I carry AIWB and am also a round belly. I find it the most comfortable and concealable way to carry...with the right holster. I also do not wear my pants on my actual waist as you referenced. I find holsters that keep the grip low along the belt line are the most comfortable and concealable. I have several options but the ones I carry with the most are cheap Galco holsters, like the sto-and-go (I think that's the name). It is soft sided but with a reinforced opening to allow for one handed reholstering. I have one of these for a CM9 and a similar one for a g23. I can wear both all day without being uncomfortable, unless I have the glock on while driving more than 4 hours straight. I carry just off midline too, so more like 1230 than 1, I've never had a problem with printing even with just a t-shirt.

These holsters keep the grip low, so getting a good grip isn't as easy as some other holsters. Although I have never had a problem getting a grip. You just have to bring your fingers from under the gun and your fingers naturally move the grip up making room to get a good grip. Typically these are like $25-30 at your LGS.

There are also ways to make kydex more comfortable even with your belly pushing the holster into your waist. Dr scholls gel heel inserts velcroed to the holster provide nice padding.

I can't were my pants that way anymore, it just hurts too much.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I appreciate the offer but I don't currently own an M&P, although one in .45 is on my list.

I'll most likely start with trying to carry my G30s there since the G21 with a TLR1s would be a lot of gun to shove in there.

I noticed from the pictures that your pants look to be riding lower, like the way I wear my current jeans. Mine will be "over the hump," closer to my belly button.

Don't let the squishy muffin top fool you... There's a lot of belly below the belt line. My belt buckle sits right over my belly button.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My biggest problem is that I don't wanna buy a holster and find out that I can't do it. Do you guys think that a traditional IWB like an Alien Gear would at least give me a sense of If it will work?

No. In order to carry AIWB comfortably, it should be an actual AIWB holster. And in my experiment, the cheaper holsters suck big butts.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The appendix holsters that the lovemachine recommends are:

Henry Holsters
    Dale Fricke Archangel
    Phylster Access

No, they are not cheap. They are in the $60-$100 range. Yes, they are worth it. I can carry a Glock 19 all day everyday, with no problems whatsoever. They are extremely comfortable. And I really can't say which holster I like the best, one is a single belt loop, the other is a double belt loop.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

As a former fat boy, I can assure you that carrying AIWB is a fat man's carry. It's much easier to access your gun instead of whipping around that belly and love handles to grab your gun at the 3-5:00 position.
    Hitch those pants up over that belly, and rock on.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I have been wondering how all of you people have been carrying this way and saying it is comfortable. Even while sitting and driving. It looks as though I have to reevaluate how I have been wearing my pants my entire life. Hmmmm....

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The appendix holsters that the lovemachine recommends are:

Henry Holsters
    Dale Fricke Archangel
    Phylster Access

No, they are not cheap. They are in the $60-$100 range. Yes, they are worth it. I can carry a Glock 19 all day everyday, with no problems whatsoever. They are extremely comfortable. And I really can't say which holster I like the best, one is a single belt loop, the other is a double belt loop.

I'll add CompTac 2 o'clock to this list. They won me back with their new indestructible belt clip. (I've broken 3 of their kydex clips)

My EDC is a Henry though.

Top Bottom