• safety switch or no safety switch

• Total voters

7urtle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    hammond
    as i was browsing cabelas for new carry gun i heard a conversation. clerk and customer both saying they would never carry a gun with out safety. All of mine currently don't have a safety but that may change if I go appendix.how many do you fine people carry ?

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Honestly, I've practiced my drawstroke while disengaging a safety so much that it throws me off if it is disengaged or doesn't have one. Go with what you've trained for.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I only use the safety at home. I can't have my cat shooting me or herslf by stepping in the wrong place now can i? I should actually say that the few pistols I carry have safeties. Reality is I carry a revolver 90% or greater of the time and safeies on those are rare but I actually have a single old revolver that does. On that, though I don't carry it, I always tend to engage it and all my guns when they are at rest on racks or in them. I guess this is how I learned and so has become a habit.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have switched to carrying 1911s. As such my carry guns have a safety.

I have been known to keep a Smith 642 around. Revolver means no safety.

I own and recommend polymer frames, medium sized, striker fired pistols to people. I also recommend no mechanical safety. Instead follow good gun handling and purchase a quality holster.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Nothing I carry has a thumb safety. Everything but the issued Glock has a double action trigger or DA/SA trigger.

I am not completely against thumb safeties. The 1911 style is intuitive and large enough to be swiped even if you grip it poorly on a hasty draw. Other styles seem less ergonomic to me.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    If I'm carrying a striker-fired firearm, then No Manual Safety. If I'm carrying a 1911, Manual Safety.

I carried a 1911 for the better part of a decade, but last year I changed to a Poly-Striker-Fired platform... I still sweep for the safety... LoL

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    If I'm carrying a striker-fired firearm, then No Manual Safety. If I'm carrying a 1911, Manual Safety.

I carried a 1911 for the better part of a decade, but last year I changed to a Poly-Striker-Fired platform... I still sweep for the safety... LoL

:laugh: Same here. I've been clicking invisible safeties for years now.

I even tried to release it on a colt navy revolver last week. Then I looked around hoping nobody saw me do it.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, guess it matters what is meant by 'safety'. For example, with striker-fired pistols, the trigger mechanism IS the 'safety'. On 1911 types, there's a manual safety and the grip safety.

As for a manual, thumb safety, everything is currently striker-fire, DA/SA, or DAO. So, no manual safety utilized, as it's redundant. For SA revolvers, carried on an empty chamber, so no safety (none are typically installed on such firearms, anyway).

Should I return to 1911-type pistols, I wouldn't carry one without a thumb-safety and that safety engaged. JMO.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    "the trigger mechanism IS the 'safety'.." Isn't that kind of like saying that the accelerator pedal IS the "brake" on a car? If your finger is on the trigger of a Glock type safety then that "safety" is not going to prevent you from firing the gun or from discharging if it snags on something. Although I am not quite sure what it SHOULD be called - it's not a "safety". Maybe a device for "creative marketing".

Last edited:
    Top Bottom