3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    I was told that it was illegal in Indiana. But if you go to a campground its only illegal on the Dams that are run by the engineers and the waterways. Not the camping sites

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Yes, we know it's illegal, but what I would like is information on the injunction that was put in place to prevent the enforcement of the regulation that makes it illegal. The injunction is valid in Idaho, I know that much, but the question is obviously, is it valid in Indiana?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    where art our legal experts?

Eating chicken tacos and reading INGO.

That is a District Court from Idaho ruling and carries little if any weight here in the 7th Circuit. Do not carry firearms on ACoE property.

*Note: not to a jerk and knock good news, and this certainly is good news, but does not help us here (immediately, could later)

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Thanks Kirk. I had suspected as much, but seeing as the ACoE is a national entity, I wanted confirmation.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    FINE.

Come on up, order the fish tacos under sandwiches, but ask for them to substitute in chicken.

RedSeven Grill | Menu - Downtown Lafayette Indiana Restaurant and Bar, Lunch, Dinner, Drink Specials

I walked into a deli in D.C. with a friend a few years back. He ordered a ham on rye. I told the young clerk I wanted the same thing but could she use roast beef instead of ham and whole wheat in place of the rye. She took the order down faithfully, including the substitutes.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Exactly 9 months later, the final decision by the court (via Volokh Conspiracy):
    Morris v. Army Corps Engineers (D. Idaho Oct. 10, 2014):
    The regulation banning the use of handguns on Corps’ property by law-abiding citizens for self-defense purposes violates the Second Amendment…. The plaintiffs are therefore entitled to a declaratory judgment that 36 C.F.R. § 327.13 violates the Second Amendment, and an injunction enjoining its enforcement in Idaho. The injunction is limited to Idaho because its scope is dictated by the allegations of the two named plaintiffs — Elizabeth Morris and Alan Baker.

So doesn't apply to Indiana (nor Texas). Too bad. But still progress.

Last edited:

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    where art our legal experts?

Eating chicken tacos and reading INGO.

That is a District Court from Idaho ruling and carries little if any weight here in the 7th Circuit. Do not carry firearms on ACoE property.

*Note: not to a jerk and knock good news, and this certainly is good news, but does not help us here (immediately, could later)
    Are you strictly a firearms lawyer or do you have a different concentration?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Exactly 9 months later, the final decision by the court (via Volokh Conspiracy):
    Morris v. Army Corps Engineers (D. Idaho Oct. 10, 2014):
    The regulation banning the use of handguns on Corps’ property by law-abiding citizens for self-defense purposes violates the Second Amendment…. The plaintiffs are therefore entitled to a declaratory judgment that 36 C.F.R. § 327.13 violates the Second Amendment, and an injunction enjoining its enforcement in Idaho. The injunction is limited to Idaho because its scope is dictated by the allegations of the two named plaintiffs — Elizabeth Morris and Alan Baker.

So doesn't apply to Indiana (nor Texas). Too bad. But still progress.

Not yet it does not apply. ;)
    However with one lower court saying this can it not be reasoned that if an Indiana resident also brings this up that the atty's can the say look that other district got it right?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    On the almost one year anniversary of the final District Court decision and order, a little update is in...er...order:

The COE chose to appeal the decision to the 9th Circuit.

Since then there has been a flurry of paperwork from both sides. The COE appears to have changed or added some lawyers and filed their appeal paperwork. The good guys have filed some answering documents, and other groups have weighed in as Amici Curiae: the NRA, the California Rifle and Pistol Association, and GeorgiaCarry.org.

Also, the name of the case has changed: It is now Elizabeth E. Nesbitt et al v. US Army Corps of Engineers et al. Original plaintiff Elizabeth Morris is now known as Elizabeth E. Nesbitt. (There are two plaintiffs, the other being Alan Baker). So Nesbitt v. US Army COE for short.

I don't know when the 9th will actually take up the substance of the appeal. Possibly the 9th doesn't know either.

This seems a handy place to get a good overview of the legal paper barrage: Nesbitt v. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Formerly Morris v. U.S. Army Corps. of Engineers) | Michel and Associates, P.C.

Top Bottom