Do you carry an extra magazine (or speedloader for revolver)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you carry an extra magazine or rounds with you?

• Total voters

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Just curious what the general percentage is of folks who carry an extra magazine or a speedloader for their revolver. I'm sure those of you who carry as part of your profession likely do, but this is more for the regular ol' Joe Schmoe.

So, do you carry an extra magazine (or more) with you when you carry? Why or why not?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    SchmoeinAvon here. I carry an extra mag (17 round) with my G26 or G19. I don't have a speedloader, but have a cartridge holder with 12 rounds when I have my 3 inch GP100. I've never had to unholster my weapon; 21+ years active duty Air Force I never chambered a round in anger. Just in case...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I always have at least one extra on my person and then an additional 1 or 2 in my vehicle along with my BUG there.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Poll is invalid. No Bacon. :bacondance:

I do not carry an extra mag. I have bigger problems if I can't get the job done in 8 shots. I'm sure I'll catch flack for that statement, so *Flame suit on*

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    One nice thing about having a single stack. I can keep an extra mag in a cell phone case on my belt and nobody is any wiser.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Sometimes. Not voting since that's not an option. I usually have 17+1 so I often don't bother with an extra mag. I should more often though.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You can't have too much ammo unless you're trying to swim.

No one can predict how many rounds it will take to solve a problem that requires shooting. It could be zero, one, two, three ... or many. I'd rather take the extra home with me than have the chalk outline around my large body with the slide locked to the rear.

Another perhaps more important reason for carrying spare mags is that the magazine is the weak link in the system. If you have one fail and induce a malfunction, having at least one spare to get you back into the fight quickly can be beneficial.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I think having at least one extra mag with me is just as important as having the gun itself. As Rhino mentioned, in case of malfunction, if you don't have a spare, and something goes wrong, you are screwed. I try to prepare myself for as many problems as I can, from having food and water and other emergency supplies in my vehicle, to carrying a knife, light, fire starter, and firearm on my person at all times. Why put myself or my loved ones at greater risk by ignoring the simple task of carrying a spare mag?

And yes, if I'm carrying a revolver, as I sometimes do, I have 2 speedloaders on me.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I carry a 1911 most of the time. I carry 2 extra mags on my side and a box of ammo in the truck. Some people think im paranoid but I always say im well prepared for the worst.

Top Bottom