• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    I have been told by a number of people in the trucking industry that it is against the law to carry in a commercial vehicle. Has anyone else heard this? Is there any truth to it? As far as I can find, there are no laws against it. However in my business I go any number of places, airport tarmac, schools, .gov buildings and any other number of places carry is verboten by law. My big question is this. Obviously those places are off limits and if I were to carry in the truck I would be in violation at those places. However, what I want to know is: Is it illegal to carry a handgun in a commercial vehicle or is that just what everyone has heard and employers are telling drivers? Is there an IC on this or is it a federal law? If there is an IC or Fed Law, what is it and where can I find it?

Thanks.

Chris.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Nothing prohibiting it in the regs... its a mistake that many make. (Like calling it a concealed carry permit in IN)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I have been told by a number of people in the trucking industry that it is against the law to carry in a commercial vehicle. Has anyone else heard this? Is there any truth to it? As far as I can find, there are no laws against it. However in my business I go any number of places, airport tarmac, schools, .gov buildings and any other number of places carry is verboten by law. My big question is this. Obviously those places are off limits and if I were to carry in the truck I would be in violation at those places. However, what I want to know is: Is it illegal to carry a handgun in a commercial vehicle or is that just what everyone has heard and employers are telling drivers? Is there an IC on this or is it a federal law? If there is an IC or Fed Law, what is it and where can I find it?

Thanks.

Chris.

I have not researched it to the point of finding a definitive answer (and have a vested interest in finding out) but while this has long been taken as gospel, there is not law or CFR I can find making it so. The problem seems to come in playing hopscotch with state and local laws, particularly regarding handguns. Another driver shared with me that he carried a shotgun until he got tired of having it confiscated and mailed home to him even though I fail to understand the confiscation by virtue of it not being illegal (and if it were why they would return it).

Another joker in the deck is that while the feds do not consider black powder arms to be firearms, some states and municipalities do, particularly regarding handguns (again, that handgun bugaboo comes out).

In the end, I haven't yet resolved the 'what to do' question but sympathize with you as you try to sift through it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Before I retired I owned a fleet of commercial vehicles. IT IS NOT ILLEGAL to have a gun in a commercial vehicle. Virtually every common carrier has a policy against carrying a gun in the vehicle.

Realize that in a commercial vehicle you are crossing legal jurisdiction lines all the time, in doing so you risk having the truck/load impounded or delayed if you get arrested for illegal transport/possession of a firearm. While I'm as pro-gun as you can get, I would not allow my drivers to carry guns in their cabs because my trucks were in Chicago, at airports, military bases, schools, etc. But, it was clearly MY POLICY and it is NOT ILLEGAL.

cmepp18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    I think this section might apply to you. I couldn't find the official definition of express company, but it most likely applies to you.

IC 35-47-2-2
    Excepted persons
    Sec. 2. Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to:
    (1) marshals;
    (2) sheriffs;
    (3) the commissioner of the department of correction or persons authorized by the commissioner in writing to carry firearms;
    (4) judicial officers;
    (5) law enforcement officers;
    (6) members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves while they are on duty;
    (7) regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this state who are at or are going to or from their place of assembly or target practice;
    (8) employees of the United States duly authorized to carry handguns;
    (9) employees of express companies when engaged in company business; or
    (10) any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms or the agent or representative of any such person having in the person's possession, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of that business.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    As others have said, Not Illeagal, its a gun shop/Terminal/Weigh Station rumor that has been repeated so many times, folks think its true. but you have to watch out for where you are driving/delivering.

I drive through the PRI into WI twice a week and deliver to Ft McCoy. Ive contacted the post police force and gotten both the Army reg and Post regs regarding the Transportation of Firearms. I suppose all installations will vary, but McCoy is ok with it being unloaded and secured in locked case in the passenger area for the duration of the delivery. Their policy is pretty much in line with the Army regulation as well.
    For Illinois, I unload and lock it in the box, per Federal Transport law.

It's a whole bunch of hassle and most times I don't carry because of it. I just make sure I keep my belt knife close and accessible.

Top Bottom