• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am especially fond of Bourbon. Particularly the small batches...My favorite is Basil Hayden,,,,I like woodford reserve for general mixing.

For special ocassions I like both Noah's Hill and Rowan's Creek.

Anyone else drink the good stuff?:yesway::yesway:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I like them all (well, maybe not Jim Beam so much), and I'll drink just about whatever's available, but Jack Daniels' black label is my go-to drink. I tried a whole bunch of brands, and it turns out that as with music, I have rather pedestrian tastes in whiskey.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    BH is good, Woodford is also one of my favorites, but if I were to pick one, I'd have to go with Old Pogue.

For mixing and shot taking purposes, I usually go cheap, since I'm polluting it with another beverage...I generally don't mix at all though, although if I'm drinking some nasty stuff, I'll take a pre-chaser(yeah, I know I'm a sissy).

If I'm drinking one of the above 3 bourbons, I'm drinking it over ice; by ice, I mean a cube or two, just enough to open it up, not a gigantic glacier that's going to dull down the taste.

Maker's is my favorite mid shelf Bourbon...Jack Daniels is disgusting and way over priced, but Gentleman's Jack is good.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's a shame about Wild Turkey.

For the price and availability, it never disappointed. Now, it's not so much.

sbnewsom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    St. John
    Bout time we had a Bourbon Thread! That's all I drink. My favorite is the Pappy VanWinkle. Excellent taste. I really like the 18 year old elijah craig. good taste for a decent price. Bookers is great too!

I'm getting thirsty now!

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    I'm definitely a bourbon drinker. Currently have bottles of Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve, and Basil Hayden. Most of the time though I just mix Old Forester with Coke. Definitely love the Old Pogue, it's just a little pricey and I can't afford it at the moment. Used to mix Beam white label with coke, but Old Forester just has more taste.

Gotta get the word out about my brother-in-law's bourbon distillery though. Kentucky Bourbon Distillers, Ltd. Can only get the stuff down in Kentucky, one bar in downtown Chicago, a bar in Germany, or over in Japan. Definitely small batch, and plenty of flavor for the hardcore bourbon drinkers.

Good thread idea Hondo.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I smugly have to say that Elijah Craig, anecdotaly credited with the creation of bourbon, is my great, great...great grand pappy.

The new 18 yo Elijah Craig single barrel batch is tasty too.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I'm more of a congac guy but I do enjoy a good bourbon. Cigars and a fine libation!

Maybe you guys can help me out a bit.

I've tried and liked Knob Creek, I have an open bottle of Maker's and had a sip or 2 durign the Fiesta Bowl. I didnlt know Jack isn't a bourbon. I thought the bottle says it is??? So I guess won;t ask about Gentleman Jack. BUT I will ask for some other recomendations to try. Rememebr I have tried ad liked Knob Creek and Maker's Mark.

Edjumicate me!

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'm more of a congac guy but I do enjoy a good bourbon. Cigars and a fine libation!

Maybe you guys can help me out a bit.

I've tried and liked Knob Creek, I have an open bottle of Maker's and had a sip or 2 durign the Fiesta Bowl. I didnlt know Jack isn't a bourbon. I thought the bottle says it is??? So I guess won;t ask about Gentleman Jack. BUT I will ask for some other recomendations to try. Rememebr I have tried ad liked Knob Creek and Maker's Mark.

Edjumicate me!

1. It's only bourbon if it's made in KY...JD is made in TN.

2. Everything named in this thread is good...My favorites:

Old Pogue
    Bookers
    Woodford Reserve
    Basil Hayden
    Maker's

I know I'm probably missing something in my top 5 that could be replaced, but that's a decent start.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Bourbon is an American whiskey, a type of distilled spirit, made primarily from corn and named for Bourbon County, Kentucky. It has been produced since the 18th century. While it can be made anywhere in the United States, it is strongly associated with the Southern United States, especially Kentucky.

On 4 May 1964, the United States Congress recognized Bourbon Whiskey as a "distinctive product of the United States." The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 C.F.R. 5.22) state that bourbon must meet these requirements:
    • Bourbon must be made of a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn.[1]
    • Bourbon must be distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume).
    • Bourbon must contain no caramel coloring (E-150)
    • Bourbon must be aged in new, charred oak aging barrels. [1]
    • Bourbon may not be stored in the barrel at higher than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume).
    • Bourbon, like other whiskeys, may not be bottled at less than 80 proof (40% alcohol by volume.)
    • Bourbon which meets the above requirements and has been aged for a minimum of two years, may (but is not required to) be called Straight Bourbon.[2]
    • Bourbon aged for a period less than four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.
    • If an age is stated on the label, it must be the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle.

Bourbon bottle, 19th century.

In practice, almost all bourbons marketed today are made from more than two-thirds corn, have been aged at least four years, and do qualify as "straight bourbon"—with or without the "straight bourbon" label. The exceptions are inexpensive commodity brands of bourbon aged only three years and pre-mixed cocktails made with straight bourbon aged the minimum two years. However, a few small distilleries market bourbons aged for as little as three months.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    So the KY thing is a preference and not a rule?

I think JD says sour mash bourbon whyskey on the bottle.....

or is bourbon like congac where it must come from the Congac region or it's just brandy?

Top Bottom