• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    OPfficially Jack Daniels is a Tennesee whiskey...It does not qualify as bourbon not because it si made in TN but because it is charcoal filtered before bottling...It is the filtering that eliminates it as a Bourbon...I vistted the distillery and they gave us the low down....:)

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I like Knob Creek, straight up.

Knob Creek and Maker's Mark are both very good (and the romance of the wax seals is compelling), but for some reason I prefer the taste of Jack -- it tastes "smokier" to me. Must be the charcoal filtering. :dunno:

hardtrailz400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Batesvegas
    I like them all, but Bokkers when I am rich which is seldom. Mostly Beam for me, except the guy at Meijer that told me the Wall Street Journal or someone gave Evan Williams good reviews got me to try E/W. and now I primarily drink it.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    Normally I am an Irish Whiskey guy but, I have been venturing more into Bourbons this year. As a rule though American Whisky is trash, on par with the swill from Canada. You really have to move to Bourbon and Rye to get quality. They certainly are the studies in complexity and there is a lot to explore.

Makers is the standard, with Woodford being the rule. Right now I like to start straight and then move to a Manhattan. I expect a good Bourbon to be able to stand on its own, but bitters can really bring out the flavor.

So when are we going out?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You all suck!

This is very painful for me to see... Being a little bit of a Bourbon snob. In Azcrackistan... This is torture I tell you!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Actually, Jack Daniels is a Tennessee Whiskey. :D

Tennessee whiskey or Tennessee whisky is a protected name for a sour mash of American whiskey that undergoes a filtering stage called the Lincoln County Process, in which the whiskey is filtered through a thick layer of maple charcoal before it is put into casks for aging. This step gives the whiskey a distinctive flavor.

The process itself is named for Lincoln County, Tennessee, which is where the Jack Daniel's distillery was originally located. In 1871, the Jack Daniel's distillery and the surrounding area became part of the newly created Moore County.

Currently, there are only two brands of Tennessee whiskey on the market: Jack Daniel's and George Dickel. However, in 2009 the Tennessee General Assembly amended the statute that had for many years limited the distillation of drinkable spirits to just three of Tennessee's 95 counties (Lincoln, Moore, and Coffee). The revised law allows distilleries to be established in 41 additional counties. This change was expected to lead to the establishment of small distilleries, thus increasing the number of producers of Tennessee whiskey.

Someone up thread noted what a Bourbon was so I will not repost that... ;)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    To the best of my knowledge this is the list of all available Bourbons... Some very small distilleries may have been missed...

Still making my way thought the list... The ones in Bold I have drank. ;)

Bourbons

Kentucky Bourbons

Non-Kentucky Bourbons

Bourbons from Unknown distilleries

copper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    Shelby County
    I will not be able to read this thread anymore. MY new years res was to go the month of January without drinking. You guys are killing me....

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I will not be able to read this thread anymore. MY new years res was to go the month of January without drinking. You guys are killing me....

Hey a chain in FW has Maker's on sale for $19.99. Want me to get you some?:D

For the Superbowl!

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I think my favorite is Maker's Mark. The trip I took to the distillery probably helped too. If anyone has a chance to see it, it's very well worth the time. I've seen Gentleman Jack mentioned but I don't much care for it. I've got a bottle currently that I drink occasionally, but it seems harsh compared to the others out there in that price range. One I haven't seen mentioned is Bulleitt. It's very smooth and mellow, and the bottle is really cool. I definitely recommend it! :yesway:

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy

That is crazy talk, Lent doesn't start until Feb 17th.

Bulleit works for a good Manhattan, but I am not a huge fan of it straight.

IndianaCPA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    Indy-Southside
    I think my favorite is Maker's Mark. The trip I took to the distillery probably helped too. If anyone has a chance to see it, it's very well worth the time. I've seen Gentleman Jack mentioned but I don't much care for it. I've got a bottle currently that I drink occasionally, but it seems harsh compared to the others out there in that price range. One I haven't seen mentioned is Bulleitt. It's very smooth and mellow, and the bottle is really cool. I definitely recommend it! :yesway:

I agree. My buddies and I took a trip to Kentucky this last Fall and hit Maker's Mark. We also stopped at Woodford Reserve during the day, but didn't have time to visit any other distilleries.

I highly recommend taking the Bourbon Trail with some guys and seeing some of the nice scenery down in Kentucky.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I have always drank Early Times due to my lack of funds on most occasions. I have also been known to drink my share of Evan Williams and Old Grandad. I find most whiskey pretty agreeable thought.

What do you guys think is the worst? My vote... BEAMS EIGHT STAR or Ten high...

Also, dont forget if youre doing the bourbon trail, be smart, have a DD, and be able to really safely enjoy yourselves.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    You guys got me on a kick here.
    I just bought a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrrel Vintage. $26 with a barrel flask in a gift set.
    Sorry copper. store said hte sale ended on Saturday. I will be ready to crack the Evan or maybe another Maker's by then though.

Top Bottom