• ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.thev...w-streaming-tv-service-announced-release-date

Over 100 streaming channels for $35/month and a free Apple TV? Hell yeah, I'll give it a shot. This service needs to mature a bit but damn, that's a great deal.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2016/11/7/13555490/directv-now-att-apple-tv

Cross-platform, content can be viewed on just about any internet-enabled mobile phone, TV, PC, etc.

Bonus: if you're on AT&T you can stream all you want and it won't gobble up your data plan. Sweet!

Last edited:

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    Be very cautious of Direct. We have found them to not honor the "deal" and jack up the bill. I am a Dish customer and would not deal with Direct under any circumstances. "..... too good to be true, then...."

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Be very cautious of Direct. We have found them to not honor the "deal" and jack up the bill. I am a Dish customer and would not deal with Direct under any circumstances. "..... too good to be true, then...."

No contract here, you can dump them any time. This is an online service only (although my experiences with their satellite service have been good for the most part).

Last edited:

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    This is the launch of the replacement service for U verse.
    While U verse will still be supported, new customers will be encouraged to sign up for this instead.
    I got a "behind the scenes" look at our local server farm for this service a few weeks ago.
    AT&T put some serious coin into this....

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    If you are anot att customer, streaming this doesn't count against data and you're grandfathered at same price as long as you keep the service

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I joined up this morning and streaming on iPhone 7 Plus and PC look great. I had to search the web for a direct link to the DirecTV Now app in the App Store because search hadn't found ore yet. I found that on macrumors.com.

Edit: Looks like the app is searchable in the App Store now.

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I carry revolvers, a flip phone, and still have cable....:fogey:

"You youngsters and your space cable...By golly when I was a kid we had three channels!!!! THREE!!!!! (Then at age 12 we got Showtime and I saw honkers on TV for the first time and I embraced the new age....):)

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    i dont have cable or satellite only free tv from fort wayne and netflix. 3 yrs ago we droped dish and the kids almost died. now they watch stuff on netflix and YouTube.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dropped Playstation Vue and went with DirecTVNow.

Interface is much better.

Can still use WatchESPN.

Still get Fox Sports MW and BTN.

Does not count against Data Plan on att wireless was a selling point.

More Channels

Does not have DVR capability although that's promised.

The Go Big Package is grandfathered at 35$ as long as I stay a current subscriber. This saves me 10$/month from the Vue Cost for Elite Slim.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.thev...w-streaming-tv-service-announced-release-date

Over 100 streaming channels for $35/month and a free Apple TV? Hell yeah, I'll give it a shot. This service needs to mature a bit but damn, that's a great deal.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2016/11/7/13555490/directv-now-att-apple-tv

Cross-platform, content can be viewed on just about any internet-enabled mobile phone, TV, PC, etc.

Bonus: if you're on AT&T you can stream all you want and it won't gobble up your data plan. Sweet!

Sling TV far better. We had an issue with DirecTV after being a long time customer. Long story short some jerk from the no customer service team told us you don't have to have our service and hung up on us. That night we cancelled and never regretted it.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I`d LOVE to have a viable, reasonably priced alternative to Comcast. Comcast is AWFUL. They`re too pricey, and talk about always jacking up the cable bill...I HATE them, and their so called customer service.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    i dont have cable or satellite only free tv from fort wayne and netflix. 3 yrs ago we droped dish and the kids almost died. now they watch stuff on netflix and YouTube.

The way to do it. Live sports is about the only reason to have cable or DirectTV Now but if you can live without ESPN you can save a lot of money each year.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The way to do it. Live sports is about the only reason to have cable or DirectTV Now but if you can live without ESPN you can save a lot of money each year.

Just heard a sports talk show on radio (y'all remember radio, don't you?) about "sports broadcast rights" and the huge sums of money paid to leagues/teams for those rights. The entire conversation was based on the premise that there are only 3 players in the history of the NBA to earn $30 million a year. Michael Jordan (adjusted for inflation) and Kobe Bryant, arguably 2 of the best players ever, and a guy who is not even among the top 10 point guards in the league..............Mike Conley. The guy said every cable/satellite subscriber in the country pays, on average, $84 a year for ESPN, whether they watch it or not. NBA rights alone are $30 of that. ESPN currently pays $7.3 billion (yep, with a B) a year for the broadcast rights. At the same time, cable/satellite providers are losing subscribers at the rate of 19K a day! The word "unsustainable" comes to mind.

This, along with the above-mentioned alternatives, may be the death of cable TV sports.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Update: I'm enjoying DirecTV Now despite a few glitches while watching over my iPhone 7 Plus. An updated version of the app just came out so hopefully some of these bugs have been resolved. And yes, it's really cool to have 100 channels on your cell phone and the picture quality is awesome.

Here's an article with comments by AT&T's CEO regarding the future of the service:

https://www.cnet.com/news/att-directv-now-demand-rather-dramatic-donald-trump-regulations/

Also, I spoke to an in-store CSR who indicated the current promotion ($60 package for $35/month and free Apple TV for 3-month pre-pay) are going away at the end of the month. At worst one is left with a $150 Apple TV (4th Generation 32 GB model) for $105 so anyone on the fence should take that into consideration.

Top Bottom