• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    We got our softener replaced and the installer set it to 7(he said it's 700 gallons) but we still have hard water and rust. Would I set it higher or lower?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    We got our softener replaced and the installer set it to 7(he said it's 700 gallons) but we still have hard water and rust. Would I set it higher or lower?
    I think you mean 7 grains. The number refers to how many grains of calcium per gallon it is neutralizing. Upping the number will up the amount of mineral removed. You should have your water tested to see how many grains of hardness it has. The harder your water, the higher the setting should be.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    A few days. They replaced the old unit after it stopped working and I had to fight with them to get it replaced. I don't think they set it high enough

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I only ask because you mentioned that you thought it might be set by gallons. Kinetico and others like it use a volume setting to determine when to regen. Keep in mind that you will have to flush all of the water through your pipes and water heater tank before you really know how well your softener is working. Turning might still be necessary.

Use caution with the idea of an "Iron Filter". They take regular maintenance and can harbor a type of slime bacteria that lives on the iron. The only real way to filter out iron is to oxidize it first, using oxygen or an oxidizer like chlorine or peroxide. Somewhat beyond the typical home owners system.

If you have really high iron, you might consider a little iron out sprinkled in your brine tank every couple of bags.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    A few days. They replaced the old unit after it stopped working and I had to fight with them to get it replaced. I don't think they set it high enough
    Give it a couple of days, if I run mine out of salt it is usually a week or so before I get soft water back. Remember, you have everything in the hot water heater etc. diluting your softened water with hard water.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    Give it a couple of days, if I run mine out of salt it is usually a week or so before I get soft water back. Remember, you have everything in the hot water heater etc. diluting your softened water with hard water.

This ^^^^

In addition, the number is the grains of hardness. What it does behind the scenes is calculate how many gallon of water flow through it between regenerations. Softeners are rated in grains capacity such as 30,000 grain. A setting of 14 would regenerate twice as often (based on gallons) as a setting of 7.

In the old days they used to just regenerate once a week, twice a week, or every other day regardless of how much water was used. It was wasteful.

Top Bottom