Ingo... school me on EOtech red dot optic sight.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jd3772000

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Indy
    I see lots of you guys use these. I personally haven't used or even looked through one. I looked through one recently, some cheap made one and it wasn't impressive. Most of the ones I see mounted on Ar's are 552 model. Is this one the best bang for your buck or is a lower model equally good? I hear that they are used in the military and perform flawlessly. I will be purchasing one in the future use on an AR and I want the ability to put it on a 500 mossy as well. Any input you all my have please indulge me with it.

Thanks

Jd

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I do not own one but I have fired firearms equipped with them numerous times. When sighted in properly they seem to be accurate enough. I think they are extremely ugly so I opted for the Leupold MK4CQT. It has built in magnification of 3x if you choose to use it.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I have an EoTech552 and a third party magnifier on my SIG556 and I am pretty happy with the configuration. Except for the location of the buttons on the 552 when used with magnifier (which has been corrected by the newer models) I have no complaints, It does what it's supposed to do. With the magnifier, it works well at distance too without it's more of a short range optic because of the 1MOA circle (hard to see/differentiate target without magnifier at long distance).

I would buy 3rd party magnifier, personally I don;t see why you need to shell out 400 bucks for the EOtech magnifier, mine was less than half and I am very pleased with the results.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've owned and used Aimpoints for years and have the utmost faith and confidence in their optics. I've also been running an EoTech on my duty rifle for the past four years and at this point it has also earned my faith and confidence. I can shoot equally with either and have no complaints. If it were my money I'd personally go with Aimpoint just because I have a longer history with them but a good deal on an EoTech would be hard to pass up.

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    here is my favorite its about the same price range and has fiber optic and battery so you only use the battery in very low light, it also has tritium for no light if batteries are expired.

Trijicon® Tri Power Tactical Sight

mic001-1.jpg

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have a Eotech 512 which is a non night vision one which I don't really need. I went to the range to zero it at 50 yards, after 100 rounds, I finally got it to hit the paper target. It still needs a little fine tune but that can wait. 50 yards all inside a 8" black circle is good enough for now. I read that most CQB is less than 25 yards.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I love eotechs. Not a fan of the magnifiers though. 1moa dot for precision shots, 10moa circle for cqb. It's great. I also personally shoot better with this than an acog or aimpoint out to 300m.

IUalum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I love eotechs. Not a fan of the magnifiers though. 1moa dot for precision shots, 10moa circle for cqb. It's great. I also personally shoot better with this than an acog or aimpoint out to 300m.

I agree I have had my 512 for a year and added a magnifier recently and don't care for the magnifier, like the eotech better by itself.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    II went to the range to zero it at 50 yards, after 100 rounds, I finally got it to hit the paper target.

Might consider starting at point blank and slowly backing up to 50 yards to keep shots on paper throughout zeroing process.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    There have been many issues reported and documented with the Eos, but personally I have had 5 or 6 over the years including the "N" type battery ones and I really like them. I havent had any problems with any of mine.

Layoffs forced the sale of some, a friend or two talked me out of a few more and I still have a 512 now.

You'll hear all about battery life and constant on from the red dot crew (Apoint guys), but having kids in the house I do not leave my rifles loaded (round chambered) so I can turn on an optic if needed. Also over the years I have only had one session at the range where the reticle flashed indicating a low battery, I finished the mag and replaced the batteries. I use BUIS on the ARs so its not that much of an issue anyhow.

My favorite optics are the ACOGs, they are built like tanks, no batteries, night time illumination and magnified. Actually they can be purchased cheaper than most red dot/ magnifier combos and take up less rail space. The only negative is the eye relief on the 4X models, but I have collapsable stocks and run them 2-3 positions out vs. fully extended for the ACOGs. My aging eyes really appreciate the 4X magnification at 100+ yds.

Try them all out and then decide what best fits your needs. There are alot of good used Eos and APoints out there due to people having to get the latest and greatest sight out now. I have purchased used ACOGs too, for under $600 very nice ones can be had.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I've also been try to decide on what optics to put on my AR's, wether I can get a decent one for less money, or save up for a higher ehd one. Does anyone have an opinion on the Adco red dot, or the Bushnells ACOg copy...would they be good enough for practice until something better comes along?

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    have owned a couple of eos, but currently use bushnell acog copy and love it...mounted on sig 556. dual color liting extremely useful in different circumstances. t dot very faast for my eyes.

Top Bottom