• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The Zippo lighter is a classic. It has some strengths, but as many know, one of it's shortcomings is its tendency to lose lighter fluid over time (as a result of it's unsealed design). Even unused, the typical Zippo, carried in the pocket for a couple/few weeks, will go "dry", and hence no longer light.

I'd read about a way to mitigate this by cutting a Ranger Band from a bicycle tube and using it to improve the lighter's ability to retain fluid (i.e. slow the rate of evaporation). Some say it works. Others say it doesn't. So, I thought I'd try it myself!

Just so happens I have a couple of Zippos - an orange one that can easily be found if dropped in the woods, and an engraved brass one from decades ago.

For this experiment, I used a 1" section of new bicycle inner tube. I had no expectations what would happen one way or the other.

The lighters:

lighter1.png lighter2.png

(As can be seen above, the band can easily be rolled down to use the lighter and rolled back up when finished.)

The experiment:

1. Both lighters were filled to overflowing with fluid, closed, and kept on the dresser.
    2. Each day, each lighter was opened, "flicked," and allowed to burn for 1 second.
    3. If the lighter did not light on the first flick (which was almost always), it was flicked a second time.
    4. The number of days to when the lighter would NOT light were recorded.
    5. The experiment was started on July 17th. The room temp, and thus the temp of the lighters, ran about 78 deg F.

The results:

1. The orange lighter without the Ranger band ran 28 days to empty. This is pretty good actually, and I suspect carrying in a pocket, next to the body, would raise the temp of the lighter and shorten this time even more. (Maybe cut it in half.)
    2. The brass lighter WITH the Ranger band ran an incredible 71 days. I say "incredible" because this is far better than I expected.

So, apparently, this hack makes a significant difference. The rubber of the band burns like crazy and can also be an emergency fire starter on its own.

If you carry a Zippo as one of your methods of making fire, try it out. Also suggest carrying the lighter in a bag, or outside pocket (like in a Jacket) away from the body, to minimize fluid evaporation.

When I have a chance, I plan to move the band to the orange lighter and repeat the experiment factor out any difference manufacturing tolerances might make in the "tightness" of the lighters.

'Cheers.

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    I have refillable butane lighters that lasted many years. The key is purging them before refills and only using quality triple refined butane. Have had good luck even with cheap lighters doing this. Cheap butane kills them. That and accidentally dropping them, which is what seems to happen to mine. Haha

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I just think Zippos are cool. If/when I have multiple fire making capabilities, I have one. Otherwise, the ubiquitous Bic lighter is my usual go to. The modern Bic is a remarkably efficient and cheap solution.

At the same time, I couldn't resist trying to improve/optimize my old school Zippos a bit. Surprised by the result. Did not expect a simple Ranger band to make as much difference as it did.

For one, I can hardly wait for snorko to publish the results of his, "Quantity and distribution of all colors in M&M vending machine packets," study. Lol.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    iu

The Zippo lighter is a classic. It has some strengths, but as many know, one of it's shortcomings is its tendency to lose lighter fluid over time (as a result of it's unsealed design). Even unused, the typical Zippo, carried in the pocket for a couple/few weeks, will go "dry", and hence no longer light.

I'd read about a way to mitigate this by cutting a Ranger Band from a bicycle tube and using it to improve the lighter's ability to retain fluid (i.e. slow the rate of evaporation). Some say it works. Others say it doesn't. So, I thought I'd try it myself!

Just so happens I have a couple of Zippos - an orange one that can easily be found if dropped in the woods, and an engraved brass one from decades ago.

For this experiment, I used a 1" section of new bicycle inner tube. I had no expectations what would happen one way or the other.

The lighters:

View attachment 168208 View attachment 168209

(As can be seen above, the band can easily be rolled down to use the lighter and rolled back up when finished.)

The experiment:

1. Both lighters were filled to overflowing with fluid, closed, and kept on the dresser.
    2. Each day, each lighter was opened, "flicked," and allowed to burn for 1 second.
    3. If the lighter did not light on the first flick (which was almost always), it was flicked a second time.
    4. The number of days to when the lighter would NOT light were recorded.
    5. The experiment was started on July 17th. The room temp, and thus the temp of the lighters, ran about 78 deg F.

The results:

1. The orange lighter without the Ranger band ran 28 days to empty. This is pretty good actually, and I suspect carrying in a pocket, next to the body, would raise the temp of the lighter and shorten this time even more. (Maybe cut it in half.)
    2. The brass lighter WITH the Ranger band ran an incredible 71 days. I say "incredible" because this is far better than I expected.

So, apparently, this hack makes a significant difference. The rubber of the band burns like crazy and can also be an emergency fire starter on its own.

If you carry a Zippo as one of your methods of making fire, try it out. Also suggest carrying the lighter in a bag, or outside pocket (like in a Jacket) away from the body, to minimize fluid evaporation.

When I have a chance, I plan to move the band to the orange lighter and repeat the experiment factor out any difference manufacturing tolerances might make in the "tightness" of the lighters.

'Cheers.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Having owned multiple refillable butane lighters (even a couple of Zippos), I will take an old fashioned wick lighter every time. The butane lighters all stopped working in less than a year.
    I kinda collect lighters. Love my butane. Haven't used any of my zippos in years and years.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I didn't realize Zippos lost fuel so quick. Although every one I've been around had a distinct fuel smell to it as soon as the top was flicked open. If the Zippo was for BOB maybe it could be vac sealed to hold fuel longer?? I stock the plastic disposable for prep with other options for long-burn needs. Definitely bring the data for orange lighter with band vs. engraved without.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Otherwise, the ubiquitous Bic lighter is my usual go to. The modern Bic is a remarkably efficient and cheap solution.
    I don't understand why people eschew the Bic as a survival asset. Wax-dipped stick matches, Zippos, magnesium bars and such are so much less reliable. 2 or 3 bic lighters can get you pretty far. Simple, cheap, and widely available. And they just work.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Used to love my Zippo. Quit smoking 20 something years ago and put it away. Have Bic type lighters around when needed because they are cheap and maintenance free. Definitely not as fun, though.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have refillable butane lighters that lasted many years. The key is purging them before refills and only using quality triple refined butane. Have had good luck even with cheap lighters doing this. Cheap butane kills them. That and accidentally dropping them, which is what seems to happen to mine. Haha
    This right here. About six months ago my trusty yellow $5.00 torch lighter I bought from a gas station 14 years ago finally broke. It was the push button that broke. Until that moment it lit every single time. EVERY TIME. It was the most reliable lighter I ever had. I used Xikar butane the whole time. Cheap butane is full of pollutants that will clog the jets.

Quality butane makes all the difference.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    This right here. About six months ago my trusty yellow $5.00 torch lighter I bought from a gas station 14 years ago finally broke. It was the push button that broke. Until that moment it lit every single time. EVERY TIME. It was the most reliable lighter I ever had. I used Xikar butane the whole time. Cheap butane is full of pollutants that will clog the jets.

Quality butane makes all the difference.
    So what is quality butane and where do you get it? I'm not familiar with butane lighters.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    So what is quality butane and where do you get it? I'm not familiar with butane lighters.
    Quality butane is at least triple-refined, which removes a lot of impurities. The more times it's refined, the more pure it is.

I get Xikar butane a local cigar store. Just about any cigar store will carry Xikar or Lotus butane.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I never had much luck with butane lighters and, as with the OP and several others, found that Zippo lighters tended to have their fuel evaporate at inconvenient moments (I don't smoke & never have, so I don't use lighters on a regular basis.) I even tried a couple of the butane lighters available for our aviator survival kits and found I couldn't make them work when I needed them to work (and few things are more miserable than your lighter not working when you want to start a fire on a cold night in the woods). So now I carry a couple BIC lighters in my pockets along with one of the Piezo-electric lighters I bought for $30 a couple years ago. I've only had to charge it once, but it's worked every time I've tested it - which about twice a year.

Top Bottom