• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Took a boy this morning and he killed a 25 + lb. bird with 1.25 " spurs.This was on the hunt that Laughery Valley Fish & Game donates every year.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    A friend of mine invited us down to his place to try it. My son and I were able to talk to one but he never came to us. We also heard some hens that couldn't have been too far from him. I think if we had been closer to start with, we'd have been fine. My son's face lit up when he heard the first gobble. It was awesome to hear one respond to us.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I put both of my daughters turkey hunting on hold. I worked with a group of local volunteers to take 11 "special needs" youth turkey hunting. The group varied from paraplegics to cancer survivors, and about everything in between. It was a GREAT weekend of hunting and forging new friendships. 11 youth, 5 got turkeys, 2 missed turkeys, and the rest got to at least see and hear turkeys (some had some just barely out of range encounters).

I took my new friend, Josh (cancer survivor), out hunting. Slow action due to snow and high winds at first light and massive flooding from rains a couple days before. But he was tough and wanted to hunt all day if that is what it took. At about 11:30 he shot a 25# stud of a bird that I called in with two other long beards. They came in behind us through some thick pines strutting and gobbling to everything that I threw at them. It was an awesome experience for both of us.

Myself and Josh with his bird.

On Sunday I got both of my daugthers out as well. Syd went in the morning. We had them gobbling, but they decided to go the other way at fly down. Then my oldest daughter, Trevor, went in the afternoon. We had a group of 3 jakes come 200 yards or so right at us, only to just turn and walk into the woods when they got to about 60 yards. Must have been a need for a roost spot was more important than engaging a set of decoys at that late point in the day.

My youngest daughter, Sydney, calling birds in the morning.

Syd going to get the ATV.

My original turkey girl, Trevor.

Top Bottom