• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'd skip the rifled bbl if not using sabot slugs.

My three different M500's in 12 ga (smoothbore) did very well with reg Winchester 2 3/4" fosters.
    Scoped they were 150 yard rigs.

Dunno what a good distance limit for 20 ga fosters would be, or if the iron sights would shorten it.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I would give Remington Sluggers a try I used them in my Remington 1100 for a time they did well. It was rifled sights and rifled barrel. If they work great if not it really does pay to use a sabot slug something from Lightfield they are great. Ive spent countless hours and dollars and shoulder pain trying to find slugs that shot well Ive since gave up and use a 458 Socom AR and this year will try a .243 its so much easier to find a good load for a rifle but the best of luck in your search. I have found that most slugs are too fast for the rifling in most shotguns and they don't stabilize well Lightfields are a touch slower because of weight and are outstanding. Stay around 1500-1600 fps slugs that are faster like 2000 fps you get a lot of flyers

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I found that some barrels foul more than others, people may need to test for cleaning interval (and also how many foulers to fire before going for group). I had very good results with WW HI Supremes in 3 different rifled 870's.
    But when that slug was discontinued, so ended my rifled slug gunning days.
    I don't remember what advertised MV was for those slugs, I always ran the 2 3/4" in my 3" chambered guns.

Did well with rifled Remingtons and sabots.
    Smoothbore Remingtons never did well for me, one was mediocre at best.

Mossberg 500's smoothbore, 5 of them tested, did well with fosters. Markedly so over Big Green smoothies.
    Back in the 80's it was kinda known to get a M500 over an 870 for deer hunting around here.

Old Remington sluggers were of smaller OD than Winchesters. They upped their OD later. I think a couple of yrs ago I saw some with the "new and improved" packaging. Suppose some old stock of the smaller OD are out there. Buy something off the shelf now, stores that move inventory....... should be of the better size.

Dusty back shelf of bait shop............nope.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I keep a 12ga bore snake in my hunting pack whenever Im using my slug gun (fully rifled Benelli SBE2) after 3 or 4 shots I run the snake it seems to really help.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    My wife uses a Mossberg 500 20 ga. When she shoots slugs out of the smoothbore she uses Winchester super X. They are "deer accurate" to at least 50 yards, she doesn't shoot often enough to try shots any farther than that.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom