• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Okay, so a very good friend of mine and I were having an interesting conversation about whether or not he would elect me as President.

See, he is a very left-winged individual, and believes severely different than I do. That has never stopped us from being friends, and I feel like if he and I were to ever run for President, it would be so refreshingly clean--without libel and slander--it would be like the first election. We would disagree, and be opinionated without calling each other son's of whores and so forth.

Regardless, when I posed to him the question, "Would you vote me for President?" He answered very smartly, "It depends on your Cabinet." Which is a very smart retort, in my opinion. I feel that the Cabinet has been under-rated in recent years, and that they should be taken seriously. Personally, I'd take my best friends to Cabinet--although the Senate would never approve. My point being, I know what qualities I'd be looking for. So, he and I discussed who I would bring to the Cabinet. What I would look for in each candidate. I mentioned specific people, but I will refrain from mentioning their names (out of their privacy) while explaining why I mentioned them.

So, here it is. I'm going off the Wiki list for order, just so you can see why I picked my order.

Secretary of State: I picked a friend of mine who is currently serving in the Army, has served in Korea and in Japan. I picked him because I feel like he is very Jeffersonian. Won't deviate from the big picture unless it's such a good deal that he can't pass up (Louisiana Purchase), and a very level-headed man.

Secretary of Treasury: A man who is very, very concerned about maximizing profit while minimizing loss. His parents are immigrants from Eastern Europe that forged two of their own companies and instilled in him their business and work ethic while teaching him to conserve his money. What this means to me? A man who knows how to maximize profits while cutting costs. Allowing the US to make the most from the least. Paying back that debt of ours.

Secretary of Defense: A man who deserves the utmost respect. He is currently in the Marines, has served two tours in Iraq, and another in Afghanistan where he was shot in the head and lived. Recovered so exponentially quickly, it doesn't make sense. He is intelligent, and knows the military. Currently an E-5, he's seen the grunt work, and is in Battalion Recon. He deserves more respect than many of these Generals we see out there, in my opinion. I think he would quite literally be able to understand and enforce the philosophy of 'walk softly and carry a big stick'. I salute him, and love him dearly.

Attorney General: My best friend, actually, was picked for this. He currently works for a Police Department. Is a Criminal Justice major, amongst other things, and is going to join the Army as well as become an FBI Agent (or maybe US Marshal, undecided). Regardless, he knows the law, and operates with it first hand. I feel like he would be willing to dispense justice fairly, and in accordance to the Constitution, above all laws. I trust his judgment like my own.

Secretary of Interior: Haha. On this I picked Val Kilmer. He was kind of a wild card. My idea was that he owns a ranch, and is a hunter. Aside from being my favorite actor, he really understands the hunter's plight, while understanding conservationalism. I don't need to digu up the whole of Alaska for oil, but some leeway would be nice. I think he'd fit the job, but feel free to contradict. Just remember, he is the best Doc Holiday, and be prepared for a firefight.

Secretary of Agriculture: Oddly enough, I picked an ex-girlfriend who voted for Obama. Now, she and I have had our disagreeances, but she knows what it takes to be a farmer. She knows that we can't limit the world and expect to produce, and very much agrees with the idea of local farming for personal gain. I think she would push, very heavily the production of personal goods, and provide kickbacks to farmers who produce on the local level.

Secretary of Commerce: A friend of mine who is very level-headed when it comes to business in general. I mean, he wanted to make a local coffee restaurant, and disregarded my name of "Holy Grounds" because I was too preachy (While still wanting to maintain a level of Christian basis). I still argue my name works. Either way, he knows what the market is like and is very, very smart. He's not the quickest thinker because he makes sure to analyze everything, which is important in such a situation.

Secretary of Labor: I went with a number cruncher. My thought is that having too many in government jobs doesn't support the private sector too well. I want a free market, not a political market. I picked a girl that can really do that. She works for a company that bases themselves around making sure to maximize profits while minimizing labor costs.

Secretary of Health and Human Services: I went with a friend that really has been there. She's gone on two trips to Kenya and seen what it's like for people in an impovrised country. She would be willing to help down and out Americans, while still saying, 'Get a job' to the bums.

Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: I wouldn't want to pick anyone. I think this is a useless position. However, being required to, I would defer to my person running Department of Agriculture. She works in the social work environment and knows what that nightmare is. I think she'd know who to pick out, and I'd make sure they fit the bill. Otherwise, eff this stupid department.

Secretary of Transportation: I picked the guy I was talking to. He loves old American classics while managing to be eco-friendly (drives a tC for Christ's sake). Good man that knows the road was meant for driving and cruising.

Secretary of Energy: Hit the same as Transit. Dude is eco-friendly while understanding the necessity to manufacture. Like I said, old school sensibility means new school dynamics.

Secretary of Education: I went with a friend that makes you want to hear what he has to to say. You know, has fun with his job. I feel like the Education system is missing that. He's also taking his MCATs for his major, and enjoys passing on that knowledge to anyone willing to listen for five minutes. I think he would be able to make it through the humps in the road the current educational system has, such as 'No Child Left Behind'.

Secretary of Veterans' Affairs: I actually deferred to my Sec of Def and my Sec of Transit/Energy on this. They're cousins, and agree that this one Marine who got his leg blwon off in Iraq is the way to go. Very personable, and understands a Vet's Affairs, so to speak. I think he knows what it's like to be in service, and knows how to take care of those who served justly.

Secretary of Homeland Security: Honestly, I melded this into Attorney General. There's no reason for this superficial and unwieldy department that is almost as large as Vet Affairs. It's absurb. Let's let the LEO deal with internal affairs, not some super secret agency hell-bent on personal agenda of the Pres.

----

Now for the Cabinet-level Advisors.

Vice President: I picked a man on these very forums, who remains unnamed. I feel that his personal and political opinions echo mine, and he was the man I bought my first pistol from. I think that if I was to go somewhere without my choice, he would be able to rule in my stead well until my return, or until my end of term.

Chief of Staff: I picked a co-worker who was my former Supervisor. He was very good at delegation, making sure tasks were done by those who new how to do them. Made sure that if he finished it, it got completed. Also a LTCH carrier, and very similarly politically minded.

Director of Office of Management and Budget: Yet another co-worker, a man who is currently going in for teaching, a history teacher. He's learned the history, to avoid the mistakes. Also a LTCH carrier. He knows there are some things necessary in the budget and some things not-so-much. Also unafraid to debate me if he feels I'm way in the wrong.

Trade Representative: I gave this also to my Sec of State. I figure, if he's gonna figurehead my foreign affairs, may as well run the gambit. Or, failing that, I'd let him give me his nominations, and take his best pick.

Administrator of EPA: I went with a friend's sister. Actually, the woman who runs Housing and Urban Affairs. She's very environmentally friendly. Former vegan turned carnivore. I think she can do a good balance. Or I'd let her give me suggestions on folks.

Ambassador of the UN: Totally goes to a smooth talking co-worker. I've never seen someone who can literally charm the pants off a girl as well as he can. He's a business major at the Kelley School in IU. Also very, very smart and charismatic. I think he could make a decent spin on the worst opinions.

Chair of the Council of Economic Advisors: I give this to a friend who has never been up on his luck. He's always supported his family, parents included throughout their tough times. I actually owe him money, and he manages to make it civil (and I've owed him for a while). He is able to make a living with little to no money at all. I think he'd be able to make sure the dollar is being accounted for properly.

Anyway, that's my pick. I think it's pretty solid. I was just curious as to what other folks would look for in each/every candidate. I don't expect full summaries like I gave (I'm bored at 4:30 in the morning), but I'd like to see what people come up with/what they'd argue with me on.

Let's see it.

Windwalker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    your presidential cabinet

Your choices show that you have given much thought to the problems they would face. I especially agree with your take of the Department of Homeland Security and your handling of it.
    You would get my vote.

Top Bottom