Your opinion on the 50 post rule or become a Site Supporter for Classifieds Access

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Are you ok with the current classifieds set up? 50 posts or Site Supporter

• Total voters

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Fenway,

I voted that I am ok with the current system. I would only make one change and that would be a higher buy-in - say $50.00 instead of 50 posts. Seems like that might keep some of the sniper types out. But basically it is a pretty good system.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I'm asking what rules would YOU put in place? Please tell us exactly how you would set up the classifieds.

I would remove the current restriction. Increased exchange traffic means increased membership. There may be some who may only come here to buy or sell, but they'd still be of service to the INGO community by increasing buying power and "inventory".

If you're concerned about people being scammed, you aren't any more responsible than the Indy 1500 would be for a transaction held there.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Slight modification to the rules.

Either you quit allowing people to buy in for 11.00 and circumventing the "50 quality post, be part of the community" or you dont have the 50 post rule.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Leave it the way it is but over-stress that participate means:

Before taking part in any INGO classifieds deal (buying, selling or trading)

you must be actively involved at INGO = financially ($10/year) or posting activity (50 quality posts).

This is good to weed out the spammers.

There are plenty of ways members can regulate their own sales to deal with classifieds snipers such as 2-tier pricing or a 3-day delay before anyone under a certain level of forum activity gets a chance.

INGO need not be responsible for that which members could easily control to suit their principles.
    Beyond this would become an enforcement nightmare anyway.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I am new here and only have a hand full of posts. ... I think I would not change anything about the classifieds but may some more guidance with how to use the site(posting comments, how to find responses, abbreviations etc..).

One resource that INGO provides for newbies is the FAQ (frequently asked questions). If you are new to guns and/or INGO, it really is a great resource. I recommend that you browse it and look for items of interest. You will get up to speed much faster that way.

Main INGO FAQ Link

FAQ section- About INGO- Hint: A good explanation of the 50-post rule and answers to your questions above can be found here. ;)

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'm gonna send Fenway into a frenzy again by not phrasing this in the manner he'd like, but here goes anyway...

What about substituting positive rep rating for post count as a measure of participation? Seems like a more honest (as in natural) way of determining participation (as in positive contribution to the site) than a mere number of posts.

Just a thought.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I voted "yes, i am OK with it"

That said, I joined INGO without knowing anything about the classifieds section. It took me quite a while to put up 50 "quality" posts. I found the classifieds section when I had about 10-15 posts and sold a gun at that point ( I think the limit was non-existent at that point).

So... I'm glad I didn't have to post a bunch of BS to get into the classifieds. I'm glad nobody had to go delete a bunch of unquality posts of mine. but now that I've got my post count up, it makes no difference to me.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I think a rule set in place to force participation on how a member will post is only causing yourselves more work.
    How many lack of quality posts do you find yourself removing on a daily basis?
    If you did not have the quality post rule, what would be the negative effects and how much extra mod time would that incur?
    It is my belief that if members are drawn in by the classifieds, they will eventually see the awesome benefit of the rest of the site. But to make them eat their peas before they get their dessert doesn't seem to work out for you as you are always having to enforce the rule you made.
    What other forum rules take up as much time as the post count does?
    Keep all of the other classified rules, just eliminate the post count one.:twocents:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I would:

• Require 50 posts before allowing access to the classifieds
      • This allows a user to show their level of involvement through direct participation rather than monetary compensation
    • Require 50 posts before being able to use Private Messages
      • This cuts down on users circumventing the rules
    • Waive both requirements for Site Supporters
      • They've already shown a level of involvement with financial support, which is equally important to the running of a website

DING DING DING

Winner - Winner, Chicken dinner.

This is exactly how I'd do it,

50 quality post to establish a members intent with moderator approval of the 50 post.

50 post to allow PM's stops them from trying to buy from a member who is willing to let them to circumvent the rules.

Site support shows that they are willing to dole out the $$$'s to not only access the classifieds, but shows that they are willing to help out the board financially.

Notice that I said with moderator approval, direct access is not granted, it is only after review that access is allowed. A quick post review will let you see if drivel is thrown out there. There has been more than one time that I have went to buy and sell something and went back to see a low posters messages to see his intent of being here.

As a side note, I'd forked out $$$'s for site supporter status not for the classifieds (I was already on here 10 months) but because I felt Mike had put a worthy product out here for me to support.

:yesway:'s up Mike, keep up the good job and cause!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    Fenway, you and your marry bunch of mods have made a great site, with the help and support of the community, WHY CHANGE A GOOD DEAL?

If someone feels inconvienced by the simple rule of 50 posts, then obviously they dont have much desire for INGO at all.

I guess Im saying if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Come on, 50 posts isnt asking alot, nor the 10$ site supporter.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I'm happy with things the way they are.

I don't care about the classifieds.

I'm a bit more interested in PMs, but not to circumvent any rules. Rather, I got a PM right off, basically about training. I felt bad that I could not respond with a "Thank you, maybe some day", but I figure the sender knows the deal, so I got over it.

I chipped in as a supporter simply because I believe in supporting sites I use and appreciate. I'm not really looking to get anything special for it, I just want the place to be here so I can keep coming back to read. I've learned a lot already and intend to keep at it. (The FAQs alone were worth the money.) Along the way I'll post occasionally - quality will probably be open to debate. :)

Top Bottom