• ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    From Rupert's web site:

I have several litmus tests for candidates and their position on abortion is an important one for me...you know that "LIFE, liberty, and pursuit of happiness..." thing. If a person will not stand for life for the unborn, how can he truely stand for liberty for everybody else? So I will not be able to vote for Rupert.
    Did you vote for Daniels? That's pretty much the same stance he had, but we'll miss your vote on election day.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Saw this on the news tonight and mentioned that this would elicit comments on how the Libertarian party should not be taken seriously.

Leaving party aside, what do you know about Rupert other than he has long hair, a bushy beard, and prefers tie-dyed clothing?

He comes with minimal baggage, pop culture appeal, support due to elements far outside the scope of his policy positions, and an image that separates him from the establishment--much like a certain community orgainzer previously residing in Chicago.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    From Rupert's web site:

I have several litmus tests for candidates and their position on abortion is an important one for me...you know that "LIFE, liberty, and pursuit of happiness..." thing. If a person will not stand for life for the unborn, how can he truely stand for liberty for everybody else? So I will not be able to vote for Rupert.

I agree with you, although I will set aside one favored litmus particularly in the event that it is an issue about which the governor can do very little until the federal governmentis put back into its proper place. Not an endorsement, but under the circumstances I would not consider an irrelevant position to be a shut-out.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    He comes with minimal baggage, pop culture appeal, support due to elements far outside the scope of his policy positions, and an image that separates him from the establishment--much like a certain community orgainzer previously residing in Chicago.

Also from Rupert's web site:

As a small business owner and community activist,....

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I agree with you, although I will set aside one favored litmus particularly in the event that it is an issue about which the governor can do very little until the federal governmentis put back into its proper place. Not an endorsement, but under the circumstances I would not consider an irrelevant position to be a shut-out.

I agree the governor may not be able to directly address the abortion issue. But the governor can have influences in indirect ways.

All other things being equal, electing a pro-abortion or an "agnostic" I fear, automatically eliminates any progress towards reversing this travesty.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Also from Rupert's web site:
    As a small business owner and community activist,....
    You DO understand what he means and what he's done as an activist? That's not a dirty word. Are you down on 2nd Amendment activists? Or those who protest against your the subject of your litmus test? Rupert's done a great job of keeping kids out of jail and seeing they get job training to keep them off the welfare rolls. What has Pence or his dem buddy done?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You DO understand what he means and what he's done as an activist? That's not a dirty word. Are you down on 2nd Amendment activists? Or those who protest against your the subject of your litmus test? Rupert's done a great job of keeping kids out of jail and seeing they get job training to keep them off the welfare rolls. What has Pence or his dem buddy done?

I have no idea the work he's done, but for the sake of arguement I'll grant the point he's done God's work. But just because he's received the libertarian party's nomination doesn't necessarily mean he'll make a good governor either. Neither does the fact he's kept a few kids out of jail--admirable work, but hardly a overwhelming indicator of leadership.

ETA: in his web site, in the criminal justice section, he proposes more needs to be done to rehabilitate convicts...I guess when it's for a cause you're in favor of, spending tax payer money can always be justified.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I agree the governor may not be able to directly address the abortion issue. But the governor can have influences in indirect ways.

All other things being equal, electing a pro-abortion or an "agnostic" I fear, automatically eliminates any progress towards reversing this travesty.

Generally, I agree, but I can also see potential for someone of dissimilar beliefs to do a better job than someone of more similar beliefs if he truly believes in government minding its own business. This is particularly true in the event of having a candidate that pays lip service to any combination of faith, limited government, and fiscal restraint, but is also an establishment candidate who will likely fail to deliver.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Generally, I agree, but I can also see potential for someone of dissimilar beliefs to do a better job than someone of more similar beliefs if he truly believes in government minding its own business. This is particularly true in the event of having a candidate that pays lip service to any combination of faith, limited government, and fiscal restraint, but is also an establishment candidate who will likely fail to deliver.

Fair enough.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The value of your vote

Excerpted from an interview of R. Lee "Gunny" Ermey by Chris Cox, NRA-ILA Executive Director. The interview had turned to registering new voters but it applies to repeat voters as well, IMO:

Cox: "And on Election Day, those new voters need to cast an informed ballot to protect their Second Amendment Rights, by voting Freedom First."

Gunny: "Absolutely. I'm an independent. I vote for the person who's going to do the best job, not for the party. That doesn't mean voting for obscure, third party candidates. I like The Tea Party, but my advice to independents is to work within the system and vote for a candidate who has a chance of winning. The voting booth is not the place to make a statement. That's throwing your vote away."

I couldn't agree more but would go a step farther. Voting for an obscure, unelectable, candidate for POTUS is not only throwing your vote away, it's tantamount to voting for Obama. I know he's counting on you!

As for Governor..........Rupert Boneham? Really? The guy who sprays my neighbor's lawn or the guy who delivers my newspaper can be considered "successful businessmen" but (no disrespect intended) I wouldn't vote for them, either.

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Excerpted from an interview of R. Lee "Gunny" Ermey by Chris Cox, NRA-ILA Executive Director. The interview had turned to registering new voters but it applies to repeat voters as well, IMO:

Cox: "And on Election Day, those new voters need to cast an informed ballot to protect their Second Amendment Rights, by voting Freedom First."

Gunny: "Absolutely. I'm an independent. I vote for the person who's going to do the best job, not for the party. That doesn't mean voting for obscure, third party candidates. I like The Tea Party, but my advice to independents is to work within the system and vote for a candidate who has a chance of winning. The voting booth is not the place to make a statement. That's throwing your vote away."

I couldn't agree more but would go a step farther. Voting for an obscure, unelectable, candidate for POTUS is not only throwing your vote away, it's tantamount to voting for Obama. I know he's counting on you!

As for Governor..........Rupert Boneham? Really? The guy who sprays my neighbor's lawn or the guy who delivers my newspaper can be considered "successful businessmen" but (no disrespect intended) I wouldn't vote for them, either.
    What a load of contradictory rubbish. Why would I care what some b movie actor has to say on the matter anyway? Vote your principles, but make sure it's only for the candidate from the right wing of the Boot On Your Neck Party. That old canard has been thoroughly discredited so many times it's not even worth it anymore. If Gary Johnson gets the Libertarian nod they'll hardly be running an "obscure" candidate". Shoot, even Rupert isn't "obscure". I, and many others, will be voting our principles. We won't be voting the ****ed up "Anyone But Obama" line. That's how you end up with a president Romney or Ayatollah Santorum. Do yourself a favour and just google the "Myth of the wasted vote". Lots of good reading there.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I sincerely hope so!
    LOL. If you really think that either of those two (and their buddy Newt) stand a chance then you're living in LaLa Land. Put down the Kool Aid. You guys had one candidate who might have appealed to the Independents and he didn't catch on. Huntsman could have stood a run with Obama. As it is, Romney will have gop voters staying home and no sane person will cast a vote for the Ayatollah, just the desperate few. I'll stick with voting my principles and not waste a vote on a big government republicrat.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Well

What a load of contradictory rubbish. Why would I care what some b movie actor has to say on the matter anyway? Vote your principles, but make sure it's only for the candidate from the right wing of the Boot On Your Neck Party. That old canard has been thoroughly discredited so many times it's not even worth it anymore. If Gary Johnson gets the Libertarian nod they'll hardly be running an "obscure" candidate". Shoot, even Rupert isn't "obscure". I, and many others, will be voting our principles. We won't be voting the ****ed up "Anyone But Obama" line. That's how you end up with a president Romney or Ayatollah Santorum. Do yourself a favour and just google the "Myth of the wasted vote". Lots of good reading there.

Oh my! As a member of the anybody-but-Obama camp I wish to apologize for not picking your pet. I prefer anybody-but-Obama who has a better chance than a snowball in hell!

Top Bottom