• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    My neighborhood is full of karens and punch bowl turds this year regarding fireworks.

If they arent whining about nervous dogs and vets with PTSD (that they dont even know personally), they are talking down how awesome our country isnt and so we are wasting our money "celebrating" such a mediocre country. And yes, the latter was a young lady with funny colored hair.
    Did you light a roman candle and start blasting it a her?

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Got home from a cookout with friends to no AC! Compressor only hums. Brings back 40 year old memories of trying to sleep upstairs in a farm house without even having a fan!

Would love to have CMs advice about now!

Rick

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Got home from a cookout with friends to no AC! Compressor only hums. Brings back 40 year old memories of trying to sleep upstairs in a farm house without even having a fan!

Would love to have CMs advice about now!

Rick
    Is the fan turning? Will it start running if you spin the fan with a stick? (I'm assuming you don't have a capacitor tester, so give it a spin.)
    If the fan starts working now, replace the capacitor. Remember to kill the power to the unit. Then short out the terminals on the capacitor with a screwdriver before disconnecting it.

If you couldn't get it to spin, disconnect power to unit, short out capacitor so you can pull the motor leads from it.
    The fan motor has 3 leads. Brown, purple, and black. Pull the brown and purple leads off the capacitor. There's 2 black wires on top of the contactor. One goes to the motor and one goes to the compressor. You want to pull off the one to the motor.
    Now you have your 3 motor wires disconnected. Check each one to ground to see if it's grounded.
    Check ohms between each wire. Purple to black will have the least resistance. Purple to brown will have a little more. The sum of these two should be about the same as brown to black.
    If the motor is bad, pull off top of ac, unscrew motor from top. Put your fan on the new motor.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Is the fan turning? Will it start running if you spin the fan with a stick? (I'm assuming you don't have a capacitor tester, so give it a spin.)
    If the fan starts working now, replace the capacitor. Remember to kill the power to the unit. Then short out the terminals on the capacitor with a screwdriver before disconnecting it.

If you couldn't get it to spin, disconnect power to unit, short out capacitor so you can pull the motor leads from it.
    The fan motor has 3 leads. Brown, purple, and black. Pull the brown and purple leads off the capacitor. There's 2 black wires on top of the contactor. One goes to the motor and one goes to the compressor. You want to pull off the one to the motor.
    Now you have your 3 motor wires disconnected. Check each one to ground to see if it's grounded.
    Check ohms between each wire. Purple to black will have the least resistance. Purple to brown will have a little more. The sum of these two should be about the same as brown to black.
    If the motor is bad, pull off top of ac, unscrew motor from top. Put your fan on the new motor.
    The fans aren't the issue. Inside fan running all the time to keep air moving. Outside fan spins freely w/ a stick, so isn't stuck and didn't start spinning even though I could hear the compressor humming, but didn't sound the same as a compressor running. It had tripped the breaker when we came home so it is drawing excessive current. I certainly COULD tear into it myself, even replacing the entire unit if that was required, but I'm not feeling that ambitious. Left a message for a reputable company, hopefully they can get out today and it is simply a start capacitor for the compressor.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    One more thread jack.
    That info was helpful.
    The other wire on the capacitor goes to the compressor. It's not starting the compressor and tripping the breaker.
    Change the capacitor.
    It's also not starting the fan.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I can’t get anyone to give me a free gun. I even have relatives that were good people and stuff.

No but really, I have 4 new wheels for the new car that I can’t get out on because I can’t lift anything because I broke myself

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Woke up in the middle of the night and thought to check my calendar for some reason. Saw I had an appointment this morning 30 minutes from my office for which I had not prepared what I needed. So got up extra early, rushed the morning routine, and walked out the door 2 hours earlier than normal. As I was getting in the car I checked my calendar again to see if Friday morning was free to cut my grass before work.

And I saw the appointment I thought I had was actually tomorrow.

Top Bottom